Paying College Football Players

Gas, food (when training table is closed), textbooks, incidental supplies (pencils/notebooks/batteries). You get a certain amount for rent if you live off campus so if you room with people you can stretch it a little.

At my alma matter some student fees were not covered by scholarships. Any more universities raise their fees instead of tuition to make ends meet.

They get monthly stipends. If they need more money for food, McDonalds has a dollar menu. If they need money for clothes, they can get 2 weeks worth of shirt and shoes at a thrift store. If they can't afford batteries with their monthly stipens (plus what are they buying batteries for?), they should find cheaper batteries.

I don't think scholarship athletes cant afford the things they need. I think they can't afford the things they need AND their iPods, cell phones, HD Cable, HDtvs, cars, designer jeans, and jewlery.

I don't think supplements are covered by scholarships either. At least not where I was at. That's a completely different topic because the NCAA drug testing is a joke.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I was asked what wasn't covered.

I'm trying to call up my financial records from when I was doing my undergrad but the system isn't letting me do that. Sorry. I was hoping I could provide an actual dollars and cents breakdown of what the scholarship covered at the time.

I will keep trying.

I don't think supplements are covered by scholarships either. At least not where I was at. That's a completely different topic because the NCAA drug testing is a joke.

I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I was asked what wasn't covered.

I'm trying to call up my financial records from when I was doing my undergrad but the system isn't letting me do that. Sorry. I was hoping I could provide an actual dollars and cents breakdown of what the scholarship covered at the time.

I will keep trying.

Why do they need supplements?

I have no problems with increasing what is covered by scholarships. But when I see video of D1 athletes with nicer clothes, cell phones, and iPods than I have I don't want to hear about how they need more money.

Why do they need supplements?

To help you keep your strenght/weight up in season, to help you gain strength in the off-season, more or less to help keep you going. There's a bunch of stuff you can use but there's also a list of banned substances.

Bigger/stronger/faster.

Testosterone boosters that aren't on the banned list are pretty easy to find. I'm pretty sure that they only do urine tests still so HGH is still on the table as something you can get away with.

Here's a link to a banned substance list.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/domi/genrel/auto_pdf/ncaa-banned-substance-list.pdf

To help you keep your strenght/weight up in season, to help you gain strength in the off-season, more or less to help keep you going. There's a bunch of stuff you can use but there's also a list of banned substances.

I understand what they are and what they're for. But supplements are not essential to being a student athlete. They may be nice to have, but they are not a necessity. If a scholarship player can't afford them, they can't have them or they need to look at their budget. Again, I feel no sorrow for a scholarship athlete who can't afford something.

I understand what they are and what they're for. But supplements are not essential to being a student athlete. They may be nice to have, but they are not a necessity. If a scholarship player can't afford them, they can't have them or they need to look at their budget. Again, I feel no sorrow for a scholarship athlete who can't afford something.

Oh ok. I wasn't really sure what you were asking.

Here's a flier the NCAA put out on scholarships.

http://www.ncaa.org/wps/wcm/connect/9b2e1b804e0dc6e694f8f41ad6fc8b25/How+do+Athletic+Scholarships+Work.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CACHEID=9b2e1b804e0dc6e694f8f41ad6fc8b25

Wait?! Scholarship athletes can still get need based financial aide?! Now I am kind of pissed that any scholarship athlete wines about not having enough money. Babies need to learn how to budget. Or opt not to be under scholarship, get a part time job during the school year and a summer job.

I know a few scholarship athletes (including a former McDonalds All-American). They admitted that they had it pretty easy.

Wait?! Scholarship athletes can still get need based financial aide?! Now I am kind of pissed that any scholarship athlete wines about not having enough money. Babies need to learn how to budget. Or opt not to be under scholarship, get a part time job during the school year and a summer job.

I know a few scholarship athletes (including a former McDonalds All-American). They admitted that they had it pretty easy.

Its not that black and white. Jobs of all kinds are not allowed (thanks boosters). But aides and grants can be available for many.

I think it kind of depends on what your situation is like. If you're from a middle to upper class family then yeah it probably is pretty easy. Grants are pretty difficult to come by anymore (at least in my experience). A lot of your scholarship athletes don't come from the best of backgrounds, don't have the family support that an academic scholar might. I'm sure there are examples on both ends.

I think it kind of depends on what your situation is like. If you're from a middle to upper class family then yeah it probably is pretty easy. Grants are pretty difficult to come by anymore (at least in my experience). A lot of your scholarship athletes don't come from the best of backgrounds, don't have the family support that an academic scholar might. I'm sure there are examples on both ends.

Actually getting aid when you are middle to upper class can be even harder to qualify for. Loans certainly (generally speaking), but getting aid can be far easier coming from less.

what i mean
You cant forget were some of these athelets come from not are all from the same side of the bridge if you no , no sports no school for some of these kids

Actually getting aid when you are middle to upper class can be even harder to qualify for. Loans certainly (generally speaking), but getting aid can be far easier coming from less.

Yeah I hear you there. I was talking about getting some change from mom and pops to cover the shortfalls.

JB do you know if the 85 DI scholarships can be split (i.e. to cover like 100 kids with some on partial scholarships)? I know in DII you can split your scholarships. Not sure about IAA.

no sports no school for some of these kids

By choice only.
Loans, grants, and aid are available in some cases even more for different demographic sectors. And school is a choice and nearly anybody can attend even if that means community college first.

Yeah you have that back-a$$-wards.

Students from lower income families get finacial aide which may not need to be paid back. While mid to upp income students usually have to get student loans, which have to be paid back.

Plus, if a lower income student fails to look into what finacial aide options are available, then they're lazy.

Yeah I hear you there. I was talking about getting some change from mom and pops to cover the shortfalls.

JB do you know if the 85 DI scholarships can be split (i.e. to cover like 100 kids with some on partial scholarships)? I know in DII you can split your scholarships. Not sure about IAA.

Not all are 100% scholarships that a university gives out so out of their total number, yes some can be split to cover athletes.

Plus, if a lower income student fails to look into what finacial aide options are available, then they're lazy.

Or were uninformed. There's a lot of kids that miss the deadline or didn't know about it. I think laziness is too harsh an assessment there. Sometimes people just don't know or don't understand the forms.

What I was talking about in the grants thing is that the financial-aid system here was maxed out recently so it was tough to get grants in aid. Family monetary support is what I was talking about. I guess I should have spelled it out more clearly. My bad.

Not all are 100% scholarships that a university gives out so out of their total number, yes some can be split to cover athletes.

Yeah i know you can do it in DI baseball and other non-revenue sports. I thought there was something about DI football that prevented the splitting of those 85 scholarships. I don't have anything to back that up though.

*Edited: NCAA limits FBS football scholarships to 85 players. It's a headcount limit so you cannot split the scholarships to give the equivalent of 85 scholarships to 100 or so players.

Now what's included in those scholarships is up to the institution. It might end up being a partial scholarship in terms of value but it still counts as one of those 85 scholarships to the NCAA.

Last edited:
what i mean
You cant forget were some of these athelets come from not are all from the same side of the bridge if you no , no sports no school for some of these kids

By choice only.
Loans, grants, and aid are available in some cases even more for different demographic sectors. And school is a choice and nearly anybody can attend even if that means community college first.

I agree with JB. "No sports - no school" is a cop out used to cover up laziness.

Well, this thread was certainly fun. Not making any arguments here, just stating my opinions.

1. Athletes should not recieve any compensation apart from what they already receive.
2. Athletes should be allowed to have jobs, part time, at a maximum pay of around 8 dollars an hour (I fund my golf habit on one such job, it is possible to get necessities for this amount.)
3. I believe that need based aide is unnecessary if condition 2, as stated above, is met.

One more thing-- college in todays society is not out of reach, even from those that come from financially unfortunate situations. Academic scholarships abound, and you do not have to be a genius to earn them. I know complete idiots who scrapped and clawed and worked their a$$es off and got EVERY CENT they needed. I don't buy the "this is the only way they made it into college" line. If you work hard, you can get places. It is that freakin simple.

Or were uninformed. There's a lot of kids that miss the deadline or didn't know about it. I think laziness is too harsh an assessment there. Sometimes people just don't know or don't understand the forms.

Nope, still think it's laziness. I had no idea what forms I needed or what was available to me. I call the finacail aide office of my college, while I was still in high school, to find out what I could do. Just because a student-athlete is from a low income family doesn't mean he can't take initiative and get something done.

What i'm saying is alot of these kids are straight from the hood , maybe i should say no sports than go to jail

And a lot of them then go from sports . . . to jail.

I think the scholarship is enough. And honestly, how many of them are majoring in general studies or phys ed? If they need gas money, then they should live in the dorms on their full ride scholarship. This entitlement crap has got to stop. They are athletes sure, but it's their choice to be an athlete. If they are going for an education, start taking some real classes and get a degree that is going to do something for you. They are getting a free education. They can do without "extras" for a while. It's called LIFE. You can't afford it, then you gotta wait for it.

Nope, still think it's laziness. I had no idea what forms I needed or what was available to me. I call the finacail aide office of my college, while I was still in high school, to find out what I could do. Just because a student-athlete is from a low income family doesn't mean he can't take initiative and get something done.

Kudos to you man. Did you have a guidance counselor or a parent help you to do that or was it on your own initiative. (not trying to be argumentative, just curious).

What i'm saying is alot of these kids are straight from the hood , maybe i should say no sports than go to jail

Nope. Still a cop out for the kid to do the wrong stuff. If it was so important for the kid to "get out of the hood", then they would do the leg work. And then act like a grown up once their out.

Back