I don't really have numerical limits here honestly. It depends on a) can I afford it and b) how much better is it than what I currently have. Standard retail prices for equipment are a little high in my mind, so I'm always looking for some discount and/or buying used. I'm also weird in that I think some clubs are more worth dropping cash on than others.

The most I've ever spent is:

Driver $400
Fairway Woods $150 (each)
Hybrids $50 (each)
Iron set $1000
Wedge $75
Putter $200

DZ Balls $20-30
Average round $40-60

Well if we are going for the max before I walk away it would be

Driver: $300
FW: $200 each
Hybrids: $150
IronSet: $500
Wedges: $ Retail for what I want
Putter: $300
Balls: $25 a doz.
Rounds: $Pretty much any as I want to be able to play as many places as I get the chance so I will splurge on this. But average is $25-35

Driver: $400
Fairway/Hybrid: $200
Irons: $1000
Wedge: $130
Putter: $200

Balls: $40

I'm pretty cheap and have only ever paid retail for a handful of clubs. Here are my limits in Canadian Dollars. For USD just cut everything in half lol.

Driver: 300
FW: 200
Hybrids: 100
Irons: 700
Wedges: 100 ea.
Putter: 500

I really don't have a limit on clubs so I'll pay MSRP for the major brands. Balls however are all used for me. It pains me to spend more than $15/dozen.

I have no cap on round cost as long as the experience and condition justifies the price. I will not pay $89 for a round at Tapawingo here in St. Louis because nothing interests me on that course.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Driver-800
Fairway-450
Hybrid-300
Irons-2000
Wedges-175
Putter-2500

Those are about my maxes I wouldn't spend that on a regular basis but the right club shaft combo comes around and I have no problem spending money on it up to a point.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Pretty close to me, though I have spent more on everything. I used to think 400 on putter was too much until I started getting into "special" putters. Now I justify it by it being the most used club in the bag

Driver: $350
Fairway Woods: $200
Hybrids: $175
Iron set: $900
Wedge: $125
Putter $300

I really don't have a dollar limit per sea, I try not to pay retail, get it on sale whenever I can, and for me to change, it really has to either help or the technology will get me more consistent within my limits.

Mine are pretty low but I typically buy used clubs so:

Driver $300 if I know I can sell my current for around $100
Fairway Woods $80
Hybrids $60
Iron set $600 (6-AW)
Wedge $60
Putter $100

Balls $30
Average round of golf $45

I spend so much less on golf than my wife does on clothes, shoes, purses, etc. that it doesn't matter. I do tend to collect drivers and putters and many of those I do prefer to buy last years model and save some money. The Callaway Pre-owned site is great for me - I just bought a 815 DBD for $136 and a Mini 1.5 for $159. For rounds of golf I really don't like to spend over $150 unless the course is super special.

I buy everything used so about half or less of retail is what I spend. Pefer to spend money on golf and lessons rather than clubs.

I would honestly say that I don't really have a limit. I bought my irons and driver at full msrp because I went and got fitted for them so in the long run I know they're the clubs for me and it will be a while before I'm looking to replace them.

Now that being said I am price conscious. Unless something gives me much better visible results I'm not likely to pay full MSRP for it. Problem is that unless you're buying fairly new being able to test something before buying can be difficult.

For me.
Driver $325
Fairway Woods $225
Hybrids $200
Iron set $800
Wedge $120
Putter $400

Balls $40
Average round of golf $40-$85

This one right here

Driver $300
Fairway Woods $200
Hybrids $150
Iron set $800
Wedge $100
Putter $1000(usually $200)

Balls $40
Average round of golf $40 if not at my home course in this area

Driver $600-700
Fairway Woods $300
Hybrids $300
Iron set $1200
Wedge $150
Putter - no limit

Balls $50

At the end of the day, if I find something I feel confident in and love the performance, feel and looks, price is out the door.

Were all in different situations be it having kids, just starting out in life or well established etc. I would be interested to hear what your price point is before it becomes to much and you walk away from a club or a round of golf. Tech costs money and were seeing more and more tech in clubs and there is always going to be inflation and price jumps from year to year. So where are you comfortable?

For me.
Driver $450
Fairway Woods, I don't play them so I always walk away.
Hybrids $180
Iron set $1100
Wedge $160
Putter $225

Balls $45
Average round of golf $60-$80

I have two young kids and a wife that doesn't like jewelry, but loves to travel (a wash in my book, LOL). I used to be attend every demo day from every manufacturer in the DMV, literally. Got to know a lot of the local reps too so I went through quite a few clubs PK (that's Pre-Kids). Now, I have to be more selective about all my purchases as I know I'll have colleges to pay for etc...

For me:
Driver $400
Fairway Woods $200
Hybrids $150
Iron set $900
Wedge $120
Putter $200

Balls $20 - $25 <- If I were better and didn't lose more balls, then I'd go with $45. At it stands, this is my comfort level
Average round of golf $60-$80 (sounds about right)

Of course all this pricing goes out the window if I set my mind that I have to have something.

I gave up on spending big bucks on equipment a few months back after buying a Scotty Cameron and realizing I didn't even roll it as well as a Spaulding putter from the 70's. So this I where I'm at price wise. Nothing would b new all used

Driver $250
Fairway Woods I don't use them
Hybrids $100
Iron set $450
Wedge $100
Putter $150
Balls $25 / dozen max, but usually somewhere around 15 a dozen
Greens Fees: I have a membership so none for Green Fees. However when my boys want to play a special place once in awhile I don't mind 150 and under

Driver $200
Fairway Woods $150
Hybrids $80
Iron set $400
Wedge $60
Putter $70

Balls $0
Average round of golf $30

I'm a student and work part time in a golf shop so I can get used club extremely cheap. But I don't buy equipment often at all, not because of money, but because I'm very picky and like what I have. I can spend a month trying things if I need something, but after I get it, it stays for years.

3 handicap, was scratch in high school if that makes any difference

Last edited:
I can't see myself paying more than $100 for any single club. MAYBE up to $150 if I found a driver I was just really hitting well.

For a set of irons I may go up to $350 or so, but I'd feel terrible about it. I'd prefer to keep it around $250-300.

Now, if my game improved to where I thought spending more might get me over some kind of hump, those figures may go up. I seriously doubt I'll ever be the guy that buys current model year clubs brand new, though.

I'm really cheap, we'll leave it at that.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

For me...
Driver - $400
FW - $200
Hybrid- could walk away.
Irons - $750
Wedge $150
Putter - $250
Balls - $40
Average round $30-80.
This is me, although the $80/round is something i wouldnt do. I dont like paying more than $50 unless its a really nice course and even then its out of my comfort zone

Hmm. I buy a year or 2 behind for the most part, although I have bought new and current. Those are almost exclusively irons and putters. Since I hang on to irons for the better part of a decade, I'll splurge a bit.
Bear in mind I'm Canuckian. Prices are different here.

Driver - $250
FW - $150
Hybrid - $120
Irons - $800
Wedge - $90
Putter - $180
Balls - $30-35
Average round away from my course - $50

I typically wait until I find a sale or used set when buying clubs. I have a hard time paying full retail when I can usually find a good deal. I've definitely done it, but can usually hold off for a deal.

Driver $400
Fairway Woods $250
Hybrids $185
Iron set $800
Wedge $140
Putter $300

I really don't have limits on price for each piece of equipment. I hate paying full price for anything, but, it depends on how badly I want it, or think it will have a positive effect on my game. I'm currently pondering an XXIO Prime driver, for instance, even though I think the price is utterly ridiculous.

Before I got into #StaffProto, I was all set to put down $1000 on an iron set (which would have included a fitting, graphite shafts, and taxes). I'm also fine with paying $100/wedge but the FG Tour TC's were half price so I essentially got two for the price of a new one. I swap putters out so much that I'm not willing to spend more than $75 or so on a single one because I have no idea if it'll stay in the bag or not. As for fairways, hybrids, and driver ... never purchased any of those new from a place not named RBG so I can't really tell you. I'm set for awhile though so I'm glad I don't have to worry about it.

As for golf balls, I'm happy a dozen Duo cost $20. My typical round around here costs $40 and upwards of $60 or so if I trek to MB. I'm willing to pay more especially when it involves a round with THPers.

The only other thing I know is ... I want Kang and Ron's hand me downs. :tongue:

Back