Understanding driver purchase motives

Trevor68

Reaction score
Handicap
Often, I read in this and other message boards of folks who swing 260-300 yards with their drivers (which is amazing in my book. I usually only get about 240 on good days).
What I dont understand is why people continue getting new drivers and shafts after they have achieved such good distance and control with their drivers. That distance is more than enough to have a really enjoyable round!

For example, several years ago, I went thru several putters until I found one that I love. I continue to use it and have no desire to even look or play other putters. I trust it.

So my question is: once people achieve proficiency with a driver, why not keep it until it breaks? At the amateur level 260+ yards is more than enough. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am in the same distance boat as you. I think there is a continuous search to squeeze out a few extra years and tighten up the dispersion as much as possible. I don't change as often as others, but am always looking to get these things also and do some tinkering.

As someone on his 3rd driver in three years I feel qualified to answer this. Golf is all about the quest for perfection. Every round I want to do better and show improvement. It's what drives me in this game and it's the main reason I'm on the course every chance I get. Sure I'm doing good right now but what if I can pick up a few more yards and hit into the green with one less club which just might put me closer to the pin which gets me an additional birdie for the round. Every addional yard on the drive(even more so if it comes with better accuracy) makes a better score that much more possible.

I understand what you're saying, and I don't disagree. However, I once heard Tiger say something like...“No matter how good you get you can always get better" and I always thought that was a good saying. If I'm going to limit myself to where I am now, by choice or by equipment then how will I improve?

Forgiveness on mishits to keep them in the shirt grass, trying to find that extra yard or two.

I probably am not qualified to answer this question, but for me I think part of it is that it's something new and the joy of tinkering with it. It may not knock my current driver out of the bag, but I've always enjoyed just hitting the new stuff and seeing if it's an improvement. Now for me it's not always necessarily buying a new driver, but finding a GS of GG and just spending time tinkering with shafts and heads for fun.

Often, I read in this and other message boards of folks who swing 260-300 yards with their drivers (which is amazing in my book. I usually only get about 240 on good days).
What I dont understand is why people continue getting new drivers and shafts after they have achieved such good distance and control with their drivers. That distance is more than enough to have a really enjoyable round!

For example, several years ago, I went thru several putters until I found one that I love. I continue to use it and have no desire to even look or play other putters. I trust it.

So my question is: once people achieve proficiency with a driver, why not keep it until it breaks? At the amateur level 260+ yards is more than enough. Right?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Because technology does not stop.
Why short change myself with less forgiveness and/or performance.
Im not one that changes equipment as often as others, but the ability to test at THP Events, with a FlightScope right there, helps a lot.
Or the Grandaddy, where a golfer gets to get fit by the best in the world and put a whole bag right into play.

THP Events change the game in this area, because many times they are part of the event.

The eternal search for distance / forgiveness plus it's just fun!!

I can only speak for me on this. I know 270 and fairway is plenty. I feel like I could hit that almost all day with a very forgiving, high spin, clubhead. I don't want that. I want long and loud. I want shock and awe. The first time I hit a 300 yard drive, I wanted to hit one again. The first time I hit a 320 yard drive, I wanted that to become the norm. I want to continue to get longer. I cannot comprehend "sufficient distance". I want more.

That is a fault and not really a good thing. But it is one of the ways I enjoy the game.

New toys are fun to have as golfers, whether driver or a putter. Always tweeking things and never satisfied at where my game is at so new toys are fun.

People like shiny and new

All of my recent driver purches have comefrom searching for a bit more distance, and a bunch more accuracy. Tried the first for a few rounds, no bueno. Tried the second for a few rounds, no bueno. Tried the third, and seem to heve found one (not THE ONE), that is giving me straight drives, with a little distance bump. If I found one, without breaking the bank that I would hit better, it would be done.nI don't aim for "game changers" I look for small positive foreward movement.

For me it's a hobby and as such anything I'm interested in I sink money into. I simply enjoy buying equipment, parts, accessories, etc.

I too just bought a new driver for the second year in a row...

This year I'm taking a step back from the distance chase and I bought something that should be more forgiving than the SLDR I've been playing. I'd be happy with similar (up to about -10) yardage off the tee if I can find 15-20% more fairways.

That said, it's really (and I mean REALLY) satisfying to knock them out there over 300 consistently.

I'm a sucker for a good sale on last years models. Sure, the tech may be a year old but it's still NEW to me and 1/2 the price of when it came out! I do this with lots of equipment, not just a driver.

I'm not one that has to have the "latest and greatest" but there are many who are. Personally, I don't think technology changes enough in a year or two to justify to myself plopping down $400-500 each year to bag the newest club. I do think that after 3 or 4 years I will likely start looking again to see what is out there and if it will give me either more distance, more control, or (we can dream, right?) both.

A guy I play with bags a driver he got for $9 in a thrift store. He just got fitted for the first time in over ten years. The only club that remains in his bag is that $9 driver. The fitter had him hit some others but both of them decided none were hit better than what he already had. It is a Callaway driver and the fitter said it was one where they were experimenting with different materials but it never generated much interest and it was discontinued. The fitter put a new grip on it to match the other clubs but that was all. I'll have to take a closer look at it when we play on Thursday.

I tend to try a lot of the new drivers every year, but not change too often. My last driver that I played for an extended period of time was Callaway Razr Fit Tour...Then I purchased a G30LS end of last year and exchanged it for the Cobra LTD.
My swing changed over time, where I was looking for more forgiveness along with less spin. I think I will stick with the Cobra for another few years, but new shiny toys always excite me!

I'm still searching for a driver that will go consistently 20 yards farther and 75% as straight as my strong 3 wood. When I find it I will be very happy but the 25 drivers I've bought in the last 7 or 8 years has not ended my search. Maybe the Rogue Black xstiff, or the Matrix VLCT for my Cobra LTD Pro that are arriving in the few days will be the holy grail......or not. :arrogant:

Back