Callaway Apex CF 16 Irons Review Thread

Teamredemption is going to have fun with these

I normally don't like a lot of offset in my irons but these for me are ok in that area. Took me a little bit to get setup with them but once I did it was easy peasy.

Top line size is as expected to be with an iron in this category and imo it's not as chunky as some pics make it out to look

I wasn't able to get any numbers as the gc2 was dead so info help is only visual observation.

The launch and flight is nice and high. I hit a 7i with Px 6.0

I was seeing similar distance to the z545 which is in the 165-170 range. The feel on these was soft with only a slightly noticeable click but nothing that was an ting and a couple times I couldn't even hear it.

Misses in the toe as expected gave me a little bit of a hook and distance loss appeared to be minimal(guessing a couple yards)

Heel miss was about a 5yd loss give or take. And bottom of the club had a lower launch/flight but nothing drastic and distance loss again was 5-7 yds

Here is pic of setup
6dd145f108c91663d45da64b54ce16e0.jpg

Here is pic of pro on left DF in middles and apex on the right
0f2bdc88f896310d2c95c1f5af0c055f.jpg

great pics, looks like they are not too far off from the DF in size and offset.

These will be in my bag in December....and I still cannot freaking believe it!

If I can offload my z545s, these are going in the bag in a few week.

wow, fat hosel compared to the df. does that "trick" the eye into making it feel like the overall package is a bit thicker, or does it look about the same?

And custom fit and free makes it just out of this world cool, go get them Capt.

you will love these as will anyone else who goes this route. I was pretty sure these weren't going to be for me because of the look but today has me pondering between these and the pros. Not to mention my iron ponder is down to only these and the pros

wow, fat hosel compared to the df. does that "trick" the eye into making it feel like the overall package is a bit thicker, or does it look about the same?

For me they look bigger than the DF. A little more offset too which had me squirley eyed at setup initially.

Going to have to go and hit them both at the AA to be sure, I am surprised you did not see much if any distance change from the DF. Seems like they should have been a bit longer at least the CF with the cup face thing going on.

I am leaning towards the CF but I almost always favor the pro look, but performance will dictate the decision. I just hope they have some graphite shafts to try at the AA, their selection of shafts has been limited in the past.

Going to have to go and hit them both at the AA to be sure, I am surprised you did not see much if any distance change from the DF. Seems like they should have been a bit longer at least the CF with the cup face thing going on.

I am leaning towards the CF but I almost always favor the pro look, but performance will dictate the decision. I just hope they have some graphite shafts to try at the AA, their selection of shafts has been limited in the past.

the DF and Apex pro were similar distance. The CF and z545 were similar.

Like you I lean towards pro look. With no launch monitor today wasn't able to see performance from a numbers side. I am thinking launch was within 1-2* compared to pro. Height was hard to judge but I would,d say a few feet higher.

i plan to spend more time with both and get them on a lm...I am pondering a combo set of apex in 4-6 and pro in 7-p

the df hit the ball plenty high for me. not sure I'd want any higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

the df hit the ball plenty high for me. not sure I'd want any higher

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't hit the DF during the time I was hitting these, but I will try to compare with DF next time to see how much higher to see if it's significant.

Come on Global Golf, I need a trade in bonus event!

^^^^^

These I have a feeling are gonna bump my XR pros. I'll hit to confirm but it's a sneaking suspicion.

^^^^^

These I have a feeling are gonna bump my XR pros. I'll hit to confirm but it's a sneaking suspicion.

We can get out to the range this week and you can test mine.

^^^^^

Plus with them being forged you can get them 12* flat like you like em

Plus with them being forged you can get them 12* flat like you like em

Man.. I bet I would kill them at that. 18 greens in regulation

the DF and Apex pro were similar distance. The CF and z545 were similar.

Like you I lean towards pro look. With no launch monitor today wasn't able to see performance from a numbers side. I am thinking launch was within 1-2* compared to pro. Height was hard to judge but I would,d say a few feet higher.

i plan to spend more time with both and get them on a lm...I am pondering a combo set of apex in 4-6 and pro in 7-p

why would you consider these to replace the 545s?

why would you consider these to replace the 545s?

i am itching for something new and shiny. My initial want was the apex pro and based on pics of these I was ok with the looks but thought they might be to offset or chunky for my eye, but after hitting them that didn't turn out to be the case.

im one of the many club ho's on here which has me wanting new irons.

Got to try these out at the store today... WOW! Demoed a 7 iron and started with a TT XP95 shaft in them, and was seeing about 5-10 yards longer than my gamer 7 iron (which I didn't have there to compare, so it could have been a juiced simulator), but then I switched to the same KBS tour shaft that's in my gamers, and saw that jump to about 20 extra yards on average compared to my J40 DPCs with what I'm told were good numbers everywhere else (didn't get a picture like I should have). The club looks great at address, and feels great on contact. I think I'm going to be very happy with these in December.

Got to try these out at the store today... WOW! Demoed a 7 iron and started with a TT XP95 shaft in them, and was seeing about 5-10 yards longer than my gamer 7 iron (which I didn't have there to compare, so it could have been a juiced simulator), but then I switched to the same KBS tour shaft that's in my gamers, and saw that jump to about 20 extra yards on average compared to my J40 DPCs with what I'm told were good numbers everywhere else (didn't get a picture like I should have). The club looks great at address, and feels great on contact. I think I'm going to be very happy with these in December.

I'm honestly not shocked at all that you would see that much of a jump from the DPC, definitely going to be a MUCH more forgiving iron with better ball speeds on the misses thanks to the cup face.

Freaking pumped you got to swing one a little bit. Makes me smile!

I'm honestly not shocked at all that you would see that much of a jump from the DPC, definitely going to be a MUCH more forgiving iron with better ball speeds on the misses thanks to the cup face.

Freaking pumped you got to swing one a little bit. Makes me smile!

Actually getting to hit them, I'm even more excited to get them in the bag. I've heard a lot of great things about the cup face irons, but they absolutely live up to the hype.

Back