2016 Fitness and Workout Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Tomorrow night will be a 45 minute race. Race 45 minutes then 3 laps.

People typically go down. Elbows be thrown. People run in to others. It gets quite physical. I'll be off the front to stay away from that junk.

Damn roller derby on a specialized! Have a blast buddy.

That sounds like a lot of fun. :D
Tomorrow night will be a 45 minute race. Race 45 minutes then 3 laps.

People typically go down. Elbows be thrown. People run in to others. It gets quite physical. I'll be off the front to stay away from that junk.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah! Gotta put the time in to get results. My end goal is 190 lbs (down 10lbs from now), so on my non-workout days I eat light with mostly protein and fat.

You're getting it done as well. Congratulations on the gainz!

We can share in the giving! I have some excess weight I'd like to get off my torso! :bulgy-eyes:
Nice squat max btw (285lbs?).

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Yeah, I'm losing size, but not weight which is good but still frustrating. That's 325; 3 plates and a 5 each side plus the bar. We don't exactly have all uniform weights at my gym.

Yeah, I'm losing size, but not weight which is good but still frustrating. That's 325; 3 plates and a 5 each side plus the bar. We don't exactly have all uniform weights at my gym.
If I can ask, what are you weighing now?

If I can ask, what are you weighing now?
Might not be the most accurate right now because I've been drinking a ton of water for a "wellness challenge" at work, but this morning was 304.

I have worked out on this trip but it's not the same as when I'm home. I'm getting a good sweat so I know I'm burning Cals but I want to be home at Orange Theory

didn't work yesterday so went to a different gym in the evening. its a bigger gym with nicer and more equipment, however i was having one issue with the barbell that made squats very difficult.

ALL of the barbells at that gym have no knurling in the middle of the bar. just a smooth ~30" section in the middle and the knurling on the outside. No matter how much i chalked my back or the bar, i could not get it to grip my back in low bar position, and it kept sliding down my back. i finished the squats, but it had to have been some ugly ugly form. My shoulder capsule pain is now back from the extra stretch it took to get into that position, and i'll probably have to take a couple days off now to get back into my shoulder capsule strength routine.

At my normal gym that i go to during lunch hours at the job, the gym is old and crummy, but heavier squats were just fine as the bar had the 5-6" of knurling in the middle, and i could tell that it was helping to grip my back.

I do have to question the bars at the other gym with smooth center sections, am i still just doing low bar position wrong or does that center knurling really serve its purpose (as i found out)?

didn't work yesterday so went to a different gym in the evening. its a bigger gym with nicer and more equipment, however i was having one issue with the barbell that made squats very difficult.

ALL of the barbells at that gym have no knurling in the middle of the bar. just a smooth ~30" section in the middle and the knurling on the outside. No matter how much i chalked my back or the bar, i could not get it to grip my back in low bar position, and it kept sliding down my back. i finished the squats, but it had to have been some ugly ugly form. My shoulder capsule pain is now back from the extra stretch it took to get into that position, and i'll probably have to take a couple days off now to get back into my shoulder capsule strength routine.

At my normal gym that i go to during lunch hours at the job, the gym is old and crummy, but heavier squats were just fine as the bar had the 5-6" of knurling in the middle, and i could tell that it was helping to grip my back.

I do have to question the bars at the other gym with smooth center sections, am i still just doing low bar position wrong or does that center knurling really serve its purpose (as i found out)?
I hate cheap barbells. What kind of shirt do you wear? As awesome as wicking fabrics are, I only ever train in cotton, especially when I'm squatting. The synthetic materials tend to be slippery.

What is that?
If you want an inside look search nationsnumber1beast on youtube. It is professional racer Cory Williams and he post helmet cam videos from inside the race. Crit races are a blast but not for the weak of heart.

I hate cheap barbells. What kind of shirt do you wear? As awesome as wicking fabrics are, I only ever train in cotton, especially when I'm squatting. The synthetic materials tend to be slippery.

yeah i was definitely not wearing a cotton shirt haha, it was a dri-fit. Never really thought about that to be honest but i guess it makes sense. It sucks because i like everything else about that gym but the last time i was there my squats were still in the mid 200's and it wasn't as important a factor for me to realize that the knurling gives that edge of help. Out of 4 squat racks, 8 benches and a bunch of other barbells, i checked them all and they were all the same. Sucks but everyone else there was doing high bar or squatting 180lb...its just not going to work for me lol

Shows how different we all are that the bar I prefer at my gym has a smooth section in the middle like you describe. Granted, I like it because the ends actually spin properly and not because of the smooth section, but I haven't had a problem with it sliding down when I've got it resting on my shelf properly.

yeah i was definitely not wearing a cotton shirt haha, it was a dri-fit. Never really thought about that to be honest but i guess it makes sense. It sucks because i like everything else about that gym but the last time i was there my squats were still in the mid 200's and it wasn't as important a factor for me to realize that the knurling gives that edge of help. Out of 4 squat racks, 8 benches and a bunch of other barbells, i checked them all and they were all the same. Sucks but everyone else there was doing high bar or squatting 180lb...its just not going to work for me lol
Dude. High bar quarter squats are functional. The build HUUUUGE quads. If you go deeper you will involve your hips and squats are for quads. Not lifting heavy. /Sarcasm

I've been going back to the gym for a few months. Just using machines and not free weights. There is a particular area that seems weak and I'm asking for some ideas or help with it. If you bend your arm at 90* at the elbow, and its the area towards the shoulder about 3-4 fingers away from the elbow joint. That area really hurts and seems weak on lat pulldowns and especially the shoulder press. Is that ligaments/tendons or the bottom of my tricep? I feel like other muscles are getting stronger but that area is still a weak spot. On both arms.

I've been going back to the gym for a few months. Just using machines and not free weights. There is a particular area that seems weak and I'm asking for some ideas or help with it. If you bend your arm at 90* at the elbow, and its the area towards the shoulder about 3-4 fingers away from the elbow joint. That area really hurts and seems weak on lat pulldowns and especially the shoulder press. Is that ligaments/tendons or the bottom of my tricep? I feel like other muscles are getting stronger but that area is still a weak spot. On both arms.
The Brachialis?

http://bodybuilding-wizard.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/muscles-of-the-arm-flashcards.jpg

Shows how different we all are that the bar I prefer at my gym has a smooth section in the middle like you describe. Granted, I like it because the ends actually spin properly and not because of the smooth section, but I haven't had a problem with it sliding down when I've got it resting on my shelf properly.

I could probably work on creating a better "shelf" as well, and maybe i was putting too much blame on there not being any knurling, but at least for me it felt like there was a huge difference in the grip on my back. Again i feel like that comes back to my shoulder mobility in my right side not being the greatest, so creating the best "shelf" isn't so easy for me.

I could probably work on creating a better "shelf" as well, and maybe i was putting too much blame on there not being any knurling, but at least for me it felt like there was a huge difference in the grip on my back. Again i feel like that comes back to my shoulder mobility in my right side not being the greatest, so creating the best "shelf" isn't so easy for me.
It could be a little bit of everything. No knurling. Bad shoulder. Synthetic shirt. It could all be a part of

Well today is the day that I meet with a nutritionist and get myself on a plan to a better life. I haven't been able to do it on my own so here goes nothing! I am convinced that dropping these lbs will improve my golf game

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

No, its on the backside. Going by that picture its either the bottom of the tricep or the Anconeus.

Going by this picture it is the white area just above the arrow. https://c1.staticflickr.com/5/4080/4850665492_553a909a8a_b.jpg
Ahhh. Tennis elbow. It's a tendon issue that is really easy to fix. Ibuprofen. Alternate heat ice and compression. Also, everytime you're in the gym, get in 20 sets of chin ups. Heads up, this will hurt, but you are not doing anymore damage. It should be gone in about 10-14 days.

So chin-ups are a good exercise to strengthen it? I may be wrong, but I feel like the weakness keeps me from doing more so than the pain. The pain is usually a really deep soreness on the next day.

So chin-ups are a good exercise to strengthen it? I may be wrong, but I feel like the weakness keeps me from doing more so than the pain. The pain is usually a really deep soreness on the next day.
Now, I'm only guessing what's wrong based on a single picture. I have rehabbed this same no jury in a similar fashion. To me, it sounds like tennis elbow. 20 sets of however many chinups you can do over 20s sets. If you think you can do 3 reps 20 times, that's fine. These 20 sets don't need to all be done at one time. If you're between sets on another lift, go bang out your chins. But this will work.

Had a solid chest work out, still on 5-1s

Bench 160-195

DB Incline Bench, DB Bench press, DB flys, BB incline bench, and cable crossovers. There were a couple sets where I had to move down some weight on my last set, but all together id say it was a solid work out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now, I'm only guessing what's wrong based on a single picture. I have rehabbed this same no jury in a similar fashion. To me, it sounds like tennis elbow. 20 sets of however many chinups you can do over 20s sets. If you think you can do 3 reps 20 times, that's fine. These 20 sets don't need to all be done at one time. If you're between sets on another lift, go bang out your chins. But this will work.
20 sets? Oooof lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back