cwanja

Reaction score
Handicap
+13 to +16
I've got a fairly simple, or so I think - and it could be open for debate on how simple - question on wedges. What is the general degrees that would be suggested for an amateur golfer? Let me give the situation.

Currently, I have a PW that I do not know the specific degree - I want to say it is close to the 56 I have, just by holding them next to each other. I can almost hit them the same distance, which is another reason for me thinking they are close. It is a pretty old club, handed down from my dads dad to him and then to me by my dad. So it was around before the gap wedges came in, again more reason I think it is lofted higher then your standard PW (48 or 49 degree). As stated, I have a 56 that I use probably anywhere under 100 yards approximately - and generally have to take some off it depending on the yardage. And sometimes it is too much, or not enough, but the PW could be too much. It is also used in bunkers when I play a course that has them.

I am looking to get the specific degree on the PW tomorrow and thinking about reselling back the 56 degree to the same place I bought it. At the same time, I am debating picking up a 54 and a 60, to obviously replace the high yardage I am currently using the 56 for. The 54 for 110 (or 100) to 60 yards (or so). Then pick up a 60 for anything closer, and obviously around the greens and greenside bunkers.

What is the general publics thoughts on wedges? I know a lot of it comes down to fitting, and how you feel behind the club - which I intend on going to a shop and hit the brands before I purchase obviously.

Additional note, my yardage is not the most consistent, but because of this, I want to make sure I have the right tools for the job. You know the old saying. Appreciate all your feedback and will keep you all posted with my findings.

Mainly, you just want manageable gaps between your clubs, so get whatever (possibly 2) fits between your 9i and whichever wedge you keep. There is no rule that says you have to have anything higher lofted than a 56. 60 deg wedges can be very difficult to hit for a beginner, and you may decide that you can get more use out of a hybrid, wood, or another wedge. Everybody's different though.

Wedge set up is based a lot on preference and style, as you can get a wedge in most lofts a the way to 64. I like mine balanced so after my 48 PW I carry a 52, 56, and 60. I feel I can hit any shot I encounter with a balanced set up. It's a good way to start at least, and adjustments can be made from there.

PW's are usually 44-48* stock. I'm pretty surprised that you find it really similar distance wise to your 56*. As for gaps, it depends on how many wedges you want to carry. Most people recommend a 4* gap between your PW-GW-SW-LW (e.g. if PW is 46, then 50-54-58) if you carry 3, and a 6* gap if you're carrying 2 (46* PW - 52*-58*). Of course, you can tweak that if you feel really comfortable with a particular loft or if you want to build it around a club you really like (say +/- a few degrees around your favorite 56*).

My last set was 48-52-56-60, although that had more to do with the fact that 52, 56, 60 were super easy to find used and cheap. My setup now is 46-50-54-58 since I built it around my new iron set.

One last note, give some thought to mixing up your wedge set. Don't just get a matching set and be done with it. Also think about how you will use them. A great idea is perhaps getting a more forgiving gap wedge since people would tend to hit more full shots with it. Mix that with a more workable or softer (depends on what you like) SW and/or LW since you'd be working the ball more with those. Just an idea.

Right now I'm using (and have been for awhile) vintage Cally X forged/c-grind w/ MD grooves wedges and LOVE them. They kinda eat up balls but I'll take the good with the bad. My lofts are 52,56,60. I feel really comfortable with any shot around the greens up to 110 out with that setup.

My PW is a 48* and from there I go 49/54/56. 49* was a freebie, but I plan on switching to a new setup of 50/54/58. Gotta see what I like though, and if I get a new iron set or not first

Yea, I tapped that.

According to the Wilson Site your 9i is a 41* (http://www.wilson.com/dyn/golf/ws_specs/eu/D_fy.asp) based on that I would look at getting a PW in the 44-46* range and then deciding how many wedges you want to carry and adjust the lofts accordingly with similar gaps of 4-5*. Check out SCOR golf they will customize a wedge set based on your current irons and your desires.

Back