What is a "Big hitter"?

F.N.G

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Golf
I have been reading threw the forums and online and people mention being a big hitter or not being a big hitter. I know the pros are all on a different level so they have there own big hitters. I was wondering for the average joe, what is a big hitter? When you are out playing with strangers at what yardage do you say, man he is a big hitter or average. Just trying to figure out what normal is and what people think is big.

270-275 carry is a big hitter. Even in wet conditions, they're out there. Dry conditions and they're over 3 bills easy

Real World - 283

Online - 333

For me, a big hitting amateur is one that can drive the ball +260 plus, but can still find his drive more often than not. I have seen a lot of guys who can bomb a driver, but rarely know where it landed.

Last edited:
Outdrive me by 20y, I call them a big hitter. Some are bigger than others. It's all relative to me.

I think guys that can get in out past 300 are big hitters.

I do not consider myself a big hitter, and my comfortable carry distance is 255. If I have to carry a bunker or water hazard farther than that I make sure I have a little wind at my back. I would say a big hitter is someone who can carry the ball 270+.

Honestly I have played with maybe 5 people in my life who hit it 300+. Maybe it's more prevalent for tournament players. That being said, I'd probably say 270-280 considering the average person is more around 250 or less.

In the real world, a big hitter to me is 280, and typically with about 260 carry. I've hit the ball 280 before, on rock hard ground, down hill with a helping wind. So that 280 number needs some serious carry with it.

They are all big hitters to me on the PGA Tour.

~Rock

In the real world, a big hitter to me is 280, and typically with about 260 carry. I've hit the ball 280 before, on rock hard ground, down hill with a helping wind. So that 280 number needs some serious carry with it.

They are all big hitters to me on the PGA Tour.

~Rock

This pretty much sums up my thoughts as well.

Haha. Ok. I got it.

I thought if it was on the Internet it had to be true.

It is.......

Until you show up at a THP event and have to back up those claims. :alien:

I would say anyone who can reach around 270 - 280 consistantly. I've touched 300 before...but I've touched 230 sideways a lot more often.

Anything in the 270ish range is pretty big for me. I play with a lot of random dudes and also help coach some of the best HS golfers in AL and rarely see legit 270 carry. Most of the guys I play with will put it out there 220-240 on a flat course so when you see somebody carry that plus 30 to 50 yards thats big. Then you watch the big hitters on tour and its a whole different ball game.

I think it's relative to your skill level and the skill level of those you play with. I'd say for me, it's anyone who can reach out to 280 regularly, and keep the ball in play doing so. That puts them past my by a good amount. I get out there every once in a while but not nearly enough to be used to it.

People i play with think i'm hitting it long. But they're usually older than me by 15+ years. I don't know players my age, i don't meet any on the course.

Personally, i think the 250, 260m i can put it out on a drive is probably average for a healthy mid 20 aged male; maybe good for being a small guy.

I think over 300 is big. I've gotten over 300 once, because it was a little downhill.

for me its anyone over 300 consistently and in play. dont' see it very often though.

I hit about 250-260 and don't consider myself a big hitter. To me a big hitter is 275+.

Back