Pros hitting spectators

hitting spectators is a great way to keep the ball in play Just ask Tiger he has done it a few times

That is crazy. So maybe my other example: "Mcdonalds made me fat" law suit wasnt as dumb as i thought.

Used to live blocks from General Mills HQ had close friend who worked there, after hearing him discuss health/nutrition and consumers, corporate greed no longer surprises me as to how far they will go for a bigger profit. My wife use to work (as a mail clerk) in the secret labs where they developed new/different formulas for food, they employ hundreds of scientists and one of their goals is to create products that will make us eat more among other things.

Back on topic I remember hearing a some of the senior tour guys talk about aiming for the gallery on tough holes during their PGA days.

i know this thread is more about the legal implications of hitting spectators with golf balls....which was pretty much taken care of by the literature on the back of the ticket.

but what about the advantage gained by the pros when hitting into the crowd? i guess it's just a perk of playing on tour tho....
i mean, an advantage is gained pretty much every time you hit a spectator, stopping the ball from going further into trouble.
and every time you hit a stray ball, 15 people surround it, guaranteeing that you will rarely, if ever, lose a ball. ahhhh well....

i know this thread is more about the legal implications of hitting spectators with golf balls....which was pretty much taken care of by the literature on the back of the ticket.

but what about the advantage gained by the pros when hitting into the crowd? i guess it's just a perk of playing on tour tho....
i mean, an advantage is gained pretty much every time you hit a spectator, stopping the ball from going further into trouble.
and every time you hit a stray ball, 15 people surround it, guaranteeing that you will rarely, if ever, lose a ball. ahhhh well....

Hmmm, I wonder if we can get some spectators at the Invitationals?

I think you should look up the lawsuit where the lady spilled hot coffee on herself.

The reason why McDonald's was held liable in that case was because the coffee was too hot for human consumption and caused some terrible burns.

I think I recall where the plaintiff turned up a memo from McDonalds advising to super heat coffee to keep seniors from hanging around for free refills. Sort of the smoking gun, like the Ford Pinto case. Maybe I am imagining that.

I think you should look up the lawsuit where the lady spilled hot coffee on herself.

The reason why McDonald's was held liable in that case was because the coffee was too hot for human consumption and caused some terrible burns.

Yeah, the Stella lawsuit. How about the one with the woman who sued a car company (forget which) because she put the RV in cruise control and got up and went into the back to make herself a sandwich and got into a crash. Honestly, if a PGA player hit me, but not badly, I'd run around showing people the bruise from where he hit me. It would be like my most precious trophy.

Last edited:
Back on topic I remember hearing a some of the senior tour guys talk about aiming for the gallery on tough holes during their PGA days.

I was just paired with Steve Pates brother in the SCGA Mid AM championship and it was played at a course in the desert that use to host the Bob Hope. He said when he asked Steve how to play 18 he replied "hit it in the grand stands behind the green and take the free drop"

I spend a lot less money on golf balls if I had 15 fans surrounding it, and marshals with little flags hunting for it.

WAivers and statements of assumed risk carry minimal weight as far as protecting a participant or a host club...If I walk in there with a ticket that says "not responsible for injury"... even if I sign a waiver saying I understand risk and accept responsibility...the host club is still not off the hook...

I see this happen at racetracks all the time..as drivers we know the risk...our mechanics know the risks...no driver is going to try to sue a racetrack over getting hurt..

BUT...

Me signing that waiver just means the I have no intention to sue...if I get seriously injured or worse, there will be 100 ambulance chasing lawyers knocking on my front door telling my wife to sue...on the grounds of loss of spouse or incapacitated spouse..If I sign a waiver it doesn't stop my wife, my child, my parents, my employer, or anybody else who stands to lose quality of life over me being hurt from suing anyone and everyone they can.

So if I am watching Bubba hit a monster drive and the ball hits me in the head and puts me in a coma, even if I read and understood the warnings, my wife and child could still come after Bubba or the host club, the PGA, the event sponsor, anybody with any financial ties to the event with a lawsuit.

Back