Amateurs vs. Pros at Impact

Darren K.

Pittsburgh Panther
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 14.3
Saw this earlier today. Shown during Round 3 of the RBC Heritage. Thought this was a pretty telling video!

This is for those of you that hadn't seen it!

[video=youtube;E-Nacfd1kCs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E-Nacfd1kCs[/video]

Kuchar's twisted open just a hair it looked like.

Some of the twisting open and closed is grip related. If your hands aren't ready to support the blow, that could happen just when hitting the ground. Kostis is right, but it would have been cool if he mentioned grip as well in that.

Side note, I want an 18kFPS camera...

Thats an incredible difference.

Kuchar's twisted open just a hair it looked like.

Some of the twisting open and closed is grip related. If your hands aren't ready to support the blow, that could happen just when hitting the ground. Kostis is right, but it would have been cool if he mentioned grip as well in that.

Side note, I want an 18kFPS camera...
Yeah he mentioned Kuchar's in the commentary, actually. And yeah grip matters, but it was mostly to show how easy it is to stabilize the club when you're hitting the center of the club face.

Amazing footage. Just goes to show why things go wrong.

Yeah he mentioned Kuchar's in the commentary, actually. And yeah grip matters, but it was mostly to show how easy it is to stabilize the club when you're hitting the center of the club face.

He said he just hit it high on the face I thought? Hitting the center is overrated haha

Interesting to see how quickly the backspin starts too

He said he just hit it high on the face I thought? Hitting the center is overrated haha
The way I understood his commentary was that he knew he missed the center and was acknowledging the movement in the club head, but compared to the amateur swing it was still incredibly still.

Really cool video. Shows how important it is to hit the center of the face.

That was really interesting. I would love to have seen the results of those amateur shots.

Cracking video, it's amazing to see the difference between pros and amateurs at the point of impact.

Very telling stuff.

Cool video, really makes you think!

Anyone else want THP to buy that camera and have it at the next outing??? LOL

Then we could see how far off-center most of us probably are. I thought Donald's was the best of them. The head didn't look it moved at all.

Aside from not hitting the ball square on the club face, what is the 2nd most important factor leading to this? Lack of strength in arms/hands? Improper grip? Bad shaft?

And a MAJOR difference in distance and FIR when a person hits the sweet spot

Looks like my goltec videos minus the extreme closeup lol.

I missed that today, thanks for posting.

Very cool. People always argue the significance of shaft torque. Would be cool to see visual evidence of any differences with mishits.

That was really interesting. I would love to have seen the results of those amateur shots.

I thought the same thing....show me where the ball ends up on those shots where the club head twists.

Back