Why do you change clubs so often?

Hi, I am War Eagle. And... I am a club hoarder.

Hi War. I can help you. Box those dirty clubs up and send them to me

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk 2

I don't. Yes, there's nothing like shiny new equipment. I'm loving the M2 I replaced my 5w with, but I didn't get it for the shiny factor, I got it because my 5w was close to 2 decades old, in poor condition, and harder to hit well every year.
I don't think people buy new clubs because they'll somehow become better golfers. There's some sort of disconnect and they want better CLUBS. I've asked people, and it amazes me how people claim they have the best clubs ever now...but they score the same as they always did, and don't see anything odd about that.

The first step is admitting it...

Step 1 accomplished. I dont have a problem though. So youre on your own here. I still have room in my backseat for more clubs.

I'm certainly not the worst offender here, but I do continue to make purchases hoping to find the magic bullet, especially with the Driver. Part of the problem with the get fit and be happy philosophy is my swing is ever changing. My SS in the past year have been as low as 102, and as high as 118, it is back to the low 110's at this point. My swing has also been out to in, too far in to out; I had a really steep swing with my driver, causing spin to be too high, I also was hitting up on the ball TOO much. It is hard to get fit and stick with that when your swing is changing.

Step 1 accomplished. I dont have a problem though. So youre on your own here. I still have room in my backseat for more clubs.

haha yeah, until someone else sees it, like your comment from earlier!!!! *yoink*

Have I mentioned I drive a 4 door/crew cab pickup? :banana:

it's all about confidence.

And if a club is giving you confidence, then you lose it; you replace it with a new confidence club with the 'newest' technology.

All about inspiring confidence

I love new equipment, for me it really changes my mindset which already sucks while golfing, but I'm trying to get my swing fixed and then hopefully I'll stop blaming equipment!!!

I've swapped my entire setup twice in a little over a year. I enjoy trying new clubs and am always trying to find the best club for me. I try to take advantage of new technology to see if it can help my game in anyway.

I agree that getting fit is of utmost importance.

Ever think that swapping out clubs or pondering new ones are the way some of us blow off steam and stress from everyday life?

I change clubs often because it's a part of the game that I enjoy. Sure if I stayed with the same stuff I may shoot lower every once in a while, but to me, enjoying what I hit is just as important of how low I score.

1. If you any of you that buy clubs and have some laying around and you are thinking to your self, "I really wish I knew someone that might enjoy hitting these clubs for a while", I am your man. I will PM my address to you and pay shipping, if you want to send me something. THANKS!!
2. I have changed and bought clubs in the last month because I have no idea what I am doing and some very good people on this board said that I should.

Ivey with 5k in posts! If you can't blame ur equipment what fun is golf... Jk. I can say that a set of irons was switched because at the end of one round they had far to much blame. Far too much blame that day. Equipment changes can be defense mechanism that Freud did not think of. I am glad I am not alone anymore. I actually had this talk with a buddy the other day. Proof of my point is when I hit a really nice drive I Sao I couldn't do that with the old one...

I'm not a big club ho by online forum standards but I buy more than I should because I'm pennywise and pound foolish. I grab stuff from used and sale bins instead of ponying up for a quality full bag fitting and then purchasing expensive custom new sticks.

When I was a younger Buck, I used to buy basketball shoes like they were packs of gum. I had every color of Adidas Forum's among other fits. I never thought a pair of new shoes would make me jump higher, or have a better right hand dribble. I just really liked new kicks. I imagine that is the same thing with golf clubs for many of my THP brethren. As long as you are not buying golf clubs at the expense of feeding or clothing you family, have at it. Live and let live.

Here's my deal on this: each year I tote my clubs to a demo day and put my clubs up against what's new on the monitors. So far, in the last three years, I've found four drivers and three sets of irons that have been sequentially "better" fits for me. Whether it was a newer shaft, or head and shaft technology, whatever, I've been able to get better numbers each time. Well, why wouldn't I purchase then? Yeah, some purchase because of marketing, but some don't. To me, the monitor at an outdoor fitting, with multiple shafts/heads to find what's best for me, is why I buy. JB even replied to a post of mine earlier this year when I was implying that "new" equipment may not actually be new- it might just be re-badged. He took offense to that and said with the r&d and stuff he's seen and heard from the companies about new equipment is that it is actually new. Well, then it's not just a marketing ploy. The changes are truly changes. So with that in mind, it's possible that one COULD conceivably find a "better fit" each season. Anyway, I change when the numbers show me I should, and recently, that's been each season.

I buy stuff because I like the thrill of getting new stuff that I haven't used before.

Honestly, if I had the financial means I would buy ALL the clubs. Every club, ever made, I would own it. I love golf clubs and I love technology and I love the technology that is going into to making golf clubs.
Some are just really awesome to look at, some are just fun to whack some balls with at the range, and some make me feel confident when looking down a 110 yard wedge shot that needs to be precise.

I would own at least two of every Miyazaki Kusala shaft, so I could have one of each hanging on a wall in my home...and then think of all the custom putters!!!! I would need a room for all of those!

Tinkering and trying out clubs is what lead me to my current set., The i20 irons are here to stay for a while, but that doesn't mean im not thinking about the Anser Forged a lot!
Golf clubs are just flat out cool, and some of them feel better to hit than others, perform better for me, and inspire confidence when I setup at address. Sometimes, it can be a bit of "grass is greener" situation but really I like to give everything at least a tryout...it's just a lot of fun.

I rarely switch clubs, but not because im opposed to it. 2 main reasons i guess. First, i buy into the hype created by marketers and just end up very dissapointed when the new stuff is really no better *for me* than what i already have. 2nd, i just cant afford it. If i have 100 bucks for golf id prefer to play 2 rounds instead of buy a new club. I was absolutely ecstatic when i got my CG7 BP irons used and i wont switch untill they break.

Unless I'm testing I rarely do. If I find something that works for me I stick to it. Why change if something works well for you?

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

I pretty much use a club until it breaks. I did buy a new (well used) hybrid though.

As much as switching clubs won't magically make you better, staying with the same clubs for all times will not make you better either.

I like new clubs. I like seeing how they differ. How they relate to other clubs. Is there something about it that makes it better than what I currently game. Is there something that makes it less desirable.

Also, to sarcastically answer the OP's question, why do we switch clubs out so often? Why do dogs lick themselves?

I like to buy a different driver every year because I'm constantly in search of the "Holy Grail" of drivers. The shaft/head combinations are endless so I always think there is a better combo out there. If they would stop improving shafts I might be able to slow down!!! Many that I buy, are used on ebay and last years technology. My 2 drivers(Mizuno Mp 630, Bridgestone J33R 460) that I've been playing the last 4 years(until May) were both bought used for under $100. I did go out and get an almost new Cleveland Classic 290 this year and it has a chance of staying in my bag for a couple of years. Until something new comes out next spring!

My irons I HATE changing, however, and am puzzled why so many get new irons every few years. I'm only on my 4th set of irons since 1980, with my first set lasting 19 years and over 2,000 rounds. I bought my Wilson Staff FG V2's this spring mostly because I wanted to try the KBS Tour shafts, and I'm damn glad I did. My hybrid is 6 years old and my 3 wood is 4 years old and neither will be replaced anytime soon. I guess if everyone was like me the golf club companies would be hurting except for driver sales.

Lastly, I don't think my new irons or more than a stroke better per round than my old 1980 Taylor Made Tour Preferred - I might have to re-grip them and take them out for a round or two, along with my 1979 MacGregor persimmon driver and 3 wood!!

Last edited:
Back