The 2013-14 College football thread (SPOILERS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm still trying to wrap my head about these brokers coming forward like this and ratting Johnny Football out in the media/NCAA. I see that JF did some things that pissed these brokers off but is this the way to deal with it? Won't this look bad for other players they are trying to get, legally and/or illegally?

Couple of things I have learned over the years.
1. These brokers would sell their family if it meant a buck or two.
2. The next generation of players wont know, care or bother worrying about what happened to this guy.

2. The next generation of players wont know, care or bother worrying about what happened to this guy.

I guess $$$ talks and if you play by their rules then nothing will happen. The risk these players have to take. What a industry this is.

This might be the most scary part, no one is learning from other's mistakes.

I've mentioned this before, and I'll say it again -- players should be able to make money from their autographs. It's maddening to me that there is an entire industry generated from these kids' signatures and that the person actually providing the signature doesn't see a cent.

With that said, if the rule is that you can't make money on your autograph, you shouldn't do it. The lure of "easy" money may be too difficult to pass. I don't know -- no one has ever asked to pay me money for my autograph.

I'll also add that I have never understood the obsession with paying for someone's signature. I guess I can understand the idea of getting someone's autograph. It is a memento of meeting someone that you admire. But paying someone for the signature of a third person, so that the experience is totally removed from the situation, is difficult for me to understand.

I've mentioned this before, and I'll say it again -- players should be able to make money from their autographs. It's maddening to me that there is an entire industry generated from these kids' signatures and that the person actually providing the signature doesn't see a cent.

With that said, if the rule is that you can't make money on your autograph, you shouldn't do it. The lure of "easy" money may be too difficult to pass. I don't know -- no one has ever asked to pay me money for my autograph.

I'll also add that I have never understood the obsession with paying for someone's signature. I guess I can understand the idea of getting someone's autograph. It is a memento of meeting someone that you admire. But paying someone for the signature of a third person, so that the experience is totally removed from the situation, is difficult for me to understand.

I completely agree man. To a T. Everyone is making money off these kids, they should see some reimbursement for stuff beyond football (that meaning playing football gets you a free education plus living money). I think some of the problem is that the NCAA needs to review these rules and make them more simple. It's almost like coaches and now players need personal assistants or lawyers to say, "You can do this...no you cannot do that." It's sheer confusion, but it's also those people trying to work around the rules.

I dont disagree, but there is a simple reason behind it. All it would take is one booster to say "I really want a John Smith autograph and I am willing to pay 250k for it". Its the reason these kids can't work regular jobs and the reason that pay has not been done already. Blame the boosters. Everybody wants to make the NCAA the target, and man they have earned it, but this one is not on them.

The only real difference with the "$250K" scenario if the players can get paid is that the booster can pay by check instead of brown paper bag stuffed with cash.

There will be abuse of the system no matter what the rules are. At least let the kids get paid for people profiting off of their likeness. Autographs, video games, advertisements. They really should be getting paid for it.

I believe I read an article that said this is the third time someone has tried/succeeded in vandalizing the rock. Some people just have no appreciation for others tradition and property.

Speaking of tradition;

Am I the only one who is getting tired of teams having 17 different uniforms? (Frigging Oregon & Nike!) I'm not saying every team has to look like Penn State & Alabama, but is seems tough to build a tradition if the uniform changes every week.

I wonder if teams & coaches are going to be like guys waiting for thier dates to get dressed: "Gee, I don't know if these socks match the face mask. Perhaps I should try the persimmon color."

Speaking of tradition;

Am I the only one who is getting tired of teams having 17 different uniforms? (Frigging Oregon & Nike!) I'm not saying every team has to look like Penn State & Alabama, but is seems tough to build a tradition if the uniform changes every week.

I wonder if teams & coaches are going to be like guys waiting for thier dates to get dressed: "Gee, I don't know if these socks match the face mask. Perhaps I should try the persimmon color."

There are two main things I can think of with this. One: Potential recruits LOVE the newest and best stuff. New uniforms is just the start, but it's the first thing you think of when thinking about a team. Two: maybe the tradition they are trying to build is continuous innovation and staying on the cutting edge. Yeah, the designs may be wacky, but the actual functioning Nike jersey that schools and the NFL use are essentially the best technology out there, Pro Combat (except for those self righteous Packers). Feel free to add more.

Yes, we get it, the SEC is good. Yes, they have won the last dozen (sarcasm) Nat Championships. But it's playing an opponent that is on par with your level. Now I'm about to go full on B1G homer. How about a SEC school come and play the likes of Wisconsin in Madison in November instead of playing Jacksonville State. I'm ok with a "warm up game" against someone that is willing to be a scrimmage-esque old fashioned butt whooping. I just hope that the new play off system will force these teams to rethink their out of conference SOS to where we have marquee out of conference matchups every week possible. I don't mind the SEC getting a break from their tough schedules, but that's what bye weeks are for right?

I do think it's time for Big10 teams (& OSU especially) to make an effort to schedule - if not SEC teams - at least better competition. Now that Urban is coach, hopefully this will happen. When Tressel was there, it seemed like his goal was to schedule every Ohio team. I think one year he had 3 MAC teams! I'm probably not the typical OSU homer, but an undefeated season doesn't mean much when it has Akron U, Miami of Ohio, Baldwin Wallace, and Univerity of Phoenix.

Me too - I don't get the autograph mania. Most of 'em you can't read. When I was a kid, my brother's friend had a photo autographed by his favorite Dolphins RB, & we always swore it said : "Mike, My butt itches".

Finebaum's back. Bring on the crazies!

Finebaum's back. Bring on the crazies!

"Pawwwwwwwwwwlll. I just know that Dufner had Copenhagen in his lip at the PGA, but my buddy swears it was Skoal. Which is it? I'll hang up and listen."

Although isn't Houston kids close you LSU too?

Sort of. But its not like Lambeau to WI. Its in the same state that offers no other credible football school.

Reliant will definitely favor LSU, but not quite like Madison to Green Bay. Sounds like fair draws for both sides though at both sites. At least it isn't at Lambeau and then in Indy, or something. I like these annual "neutral" games a little closer to one of the teams as long as they are different each year.

Big news. Didn't think he'd be the starter anyways, but thankful he's not an option. Kid never lived up to the potential.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back