THP Invitational #2 Sponsored by SCOR Golf

What were the main differences between the 2?

Oh heck, one is a Florida course, big, open, and right in front of you. The other is a wonderful example of a designer forcing you to think your way around. It isn't terribly tight and you can hit driver a bunch, but you better know your miss and where you can miss.

Time to throw down the hammer SWamper! I'd love to meet you in December!

Man I'm fighting hard. I was angry about missing Atlanta and I let my frustrations be known. Flights look great into Myrtle from here, lodging ain't looking bad either.

They have some videos too.... 18 looks like such an amazing finishing hole.

Depending where they put the tees, I had everything from a 6I to a PW. 6I into the wind that was blowing right to left was not a fun shot

Depending where they put the tees, I had everything from a 6I to a PW. 6I into the wind that was blowing right to left was not a fun shot

To me that was one of the easiest shots on the course. That dang #14 (I think) hard dogleg left was a brutal approach shot.

Can't wait to play these invitationals. One next week and one in a month. It's going to be legend .....

To me that was one of the easiest shots on the course. That dang #14 (I think) hard dogleg left was a brutal approach shot.

160 into a hook nightmare of a wind and I play a draw. I was not loving that shot. Stuck it to 10 feet though

160 into a hook nightmare of a wind and I play a draw. I was not loving that shot. Stuck it to 10 feet though

Lol, I had 140&145 with the same wind. I play a fade.

I dreamed of a fade for that one. Its a great hole tee to green

Not yet. I'm still trying to figure out if I can fit this in my schedule. Alot also depends on whether Charlie decides to go or not.

I'll definitely go if you give me a ride dude. You can stay here with me and we can split gas money. So it's up to you. Otherwise I won't be able to make it.

Absolutely, you can swing for the fences off the tee if you dare. Then just aim at the steps of the clubhouse.

Both courses hit a home run with their finishing holes.

I'll definitely go if you give me a ride dude. You can stay here with me and we can split gas money. So it's up to you. Otherwise I won't be able to make it.

Sounds like 2 more added to the list

I'll confirm what I'm doing next week for sure.

I'll confirm what I'm doing next week for sure.

Very nice, and I'll let you know about the game when I get that info if you still want to come.

Just 1, my game is bad enough.

Yeah man, it's going to be good.

I fully understand Vince. Just a little fired up to pay a visit to Myrtle Beach and play amongst friends. Oh yeah and there's the competition thingy and all that will bring the best out of all of us.

just sent payment in for the Invitational, I cant wait! Thank you Scor and THP for this great event!

I just got back from my annual golf buddy trip to Myrtle, and we just happened to play the Caledonia / True Blue combo, staying in the condos at True Blue. All I can say is, wow! The courses are in FANTASTIC shape. Calendonia may be the prettiest course I've ever played, but I actually like True Blue more. I love the links style of many of the holes, and every hole is different with some absolute beasts thrown in.

The first round we played (first group out), the starter greeted us and warned us the True Blue greens were running at 12 and would be running 14 by noon! And he didn't lie. They were so fast, but so pure. Putting was ridiculously difficult on those undulating greens, nevermind the grain of the bermuda. I'm warning the MCers... if your short game is not in order, True Blue will chew you up and spit you out. I'm just thinking back and there are so many good holes on True Blue. All of the par 5s are fantastic, but my favorite is number 4, the ultimate risk/reward par 5 I've ever played. This hole plays around a lake like a horshoe to a green that slopes down into the lake guarded by water on 2 sides and a hill behind (good luck bailing long onto the hill and getting your chip to stop on the green). If you hit a really good drive, you could have 200 yards to the green, but with 100% carry over the lake. But if you choose to wimp out, the layup is no gimme either, as the fairway is quite narrow around the lake and is guarded by bunkers and hills if you miss the precise layup. What a great hole. 3 yards can be the difference between a double bogie and a birdie. The first round out I tin cupped it for a lovely 9. 2nd time out I got my revenge (well sort of, 3 putts for a par). Get used to 3 putting on these greens. If you miss on the wrong side of a green, its almost a certainty on many holes. Take the finishing hole for instance. Another peninsula green with a giant ridge running through the middle of entire green. Land on the wrong side of that ridge and you're more likely to 4 putt than 2 putt.

But True Blue does give you a chance off the tees (unlike Caledonia). Generous fairways help make up for the formidable length of many of the holes. I love that you can hit driver on every single par 4 and 5 of this course (even from the whites). You still have to make a good swing but you can be agressive.

I'm really trying to see if I can convince my wife that going back to myrtle beach in a month is a reasonable request... I miss this course already. Those going to the invitational are in for such a treat.

It is reasonable G4L and she will completely understand.

Ive gotta think some of the MC rookies will want to jump on the chance to get a preview round at 1 of the 2 courses.....

I checked out more pictures of this course last night. Man does it look amazing. I am definitely going to play both of them before I leave SC.

Reading G4L's writeup on playing True Blue and Caledonia has me all sorts of excited to see the two courses again. Need to get my schedule sorted out

Ive gotta think some of the MC rookies will want to jump on the chance to get a preview round at 1 of the 2 courses.....

Is there a head count yet? Looks like Charlie and JT are still working out the details.

Is there a head count yet? Looks like Charlie and JT are still working out the details.

Judging by the amount of recent "I'm in" I think we're over 20 easily

It should be a good time no matter but I think there is going to be a good turnout.

Back