The Red Wine Thread

This is one of my favorites and it's at the low end of the price range for this thread. I get it at what was my local liquor store in southwest Denver metro area, and still make a point of stopping in when I get to town. I'm playing a golf tournament next week and will be restocking. This Cabernet is quite good to my admittedly untutored palette.

019dtg6rrqzer_375x500.jpg

They also have what they call Vintage Red, a blend which I think compares favorably to the vin ordinaire that I got to sample many years ago from southern France. At $12 for the big bottle, it's certainly affordable and is a good bottle to share with friends. Doesn't require any certain food, or really any food at all, to be enjoyed.

frontera-vintage-red-ds-1.jpg

Last edited:
This box just arrived from a friend in the golf industry as a thank you for an introduction. Looking forward to jumping in

e04a2d33dc22a313638cec68a77b8e77.jpg

This box just arrived from a friend in the golf industry as a thank you for an introduction. Looking forward to jumping in

This looks awesome

you tease. now take off the wrapping and show us what you're working with. i see what appears to be honig in there, and i do like honig cab.

you tease. now take off the wrapping and show us what you're working with. i see what appears to be honig in there, and i do like honig cab.

Not a huge fan, but its decent. The only thing I know that is in there is a bottle of 2001 Robert Foley Claret (I drank one with them previously out of my collection).

One of the best wine tips I ever received was to try riojas. Rioja is a Spanish region (similar to Bordeaux). Mainly focused on the tempranillo grape. If you like Cabernet or other big bold reds then this is a great place to expand to.

On to the recommendations! First try a Marques de Caceres Reserva Rioja. Approximately $18 by me and a good representation of Rioja. Should be relatively easy to find.

A note about Rioja. It comes in Crianza, Reserva and Gran Reserva. Crianza is the base model, not aged in oak or the bottle too long, but good value. Reserva I tend to think of as the sweet spot. Aged well in oak and typically a couple years in the bottle as well before it is even released. Great value and drinks well above its price. Gran Reserva are made from the best grapes in the best years. Aged the longest and I will buy if I'm treating myself.

I'll be back with some more examples with some photos, let me know what you think!

there is old school rioja like la rioja alta and r lopez heredia. then there is modern rioja like emilio moro and muga. i would agree with you that people who like medium bodied wines with some spice would dig modern rioja. people who like light, floral pinots would like the more traditional rioja.

Not a huge fan, but its decent. The only thing I know that is in there is a bottle of 2001 Robert Foley Claret (I drank one with them previously out of my collection).

the 2008 honig was one of the better bottles i had from that vintage, and ridiculously well-priced.

do i also spot girard? maybe viader? the suspense!

the 2008 honig was one of the better bottles i had from that vintage, and ridiculously well-priced.

do i also spot girard? maybe viader? the suspense!

If you saw my office, you would get even more mad. There are 12 unopened club boxes that I have no idea what is in there, but have not opened them yet.

If you saw my office, you would get even more mad. There are 12 unopened club boxes that I have no idea what is in there, but have not opened them yet.

haha the burden of loving wine and living in Florida, no basements. I have 6 cases of wine here at my office that I'm too damn lazy to haul to my offsite storage.

Ok, wife and I LOVE good red wine! At the $10-13 price point, I highly reccomend:

Louis Martini Sanoma Cab
Silver Palm Cab
Josh Cab

GREAT wines that won't break the bank.

That's just sad! All that good liquid going to waste, I am in tears!

This is just simply unacceptable. Sounds like we need to have a wine themed THP event sometime!!

52463f41a300678966115214c3bc734b.jpg

Here's the Meiomi I mentioned earlier. Delicious!!

This is just simply unacceptable. Sounds like we need to have a wine themed THP event sometime!!

Silverado resort. done.

52463f41a300678966115214c3bc734b.jpg

Here's the Meiomi I mentioned earlier. Delicious!!

not a Pinot fan, but the belle glos is really nice. las alturas is ok. Clark & telephone is tasty too.

Yes please

stayed there 4 or 5 years ago. the value was outstanding. and the Silverado trail is a lot quieter than 29. I think they've pumped some money into the courses recently too.

Adjusted to include a wider range of tastes and still be sub $50. Really would like to have a lot of feedback here while not excluding people who enjoy the higher end...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just red that you changed this to sub $50 and I can finally start contributing lol.... Me and my dad are members of a winery and get 6 bottles a month (3 each) buy the bottles retail over $40 most of the time, but now I can start posting, mainly will be from William hill and Louis martini out of Cali, some great wines for good prices

Living in nor cal wine country for the last 5 years. Very few wine snobs here!!! Lol. For real. Wine people are laid back, for the majority are anti snobs! Most red wine is too high in alcohol for my taste. Anything over 14% I don't drink. I can't taste anything other than the alcohol. Moved here drinking only reds, I don't touch it at all anymore. Rose and whites go better with food. A lot of rose drinking in the summer here. Don't knock it, some absolutely fabulous rose here and very anti snob. The big reds are snobbier! Lol.

Living in nor cal wine country for the last 5 years. Very few wine snobs here!!! Lol. For real. Wine people are laid back, for the majority are anti snobs! Most red wine is too high in alcohol for my taste. Anything over 14% I don't drink. I can't taste anything other than the alcohol. Moved here drinking only reds, I don't touch it at all anymore. Rose and whites go better with food. A lot of rose drinking in the summer here. Don't knock it, some absolutely fabulous rose here and very anti snob. The big reds are snobbier! Lol.

Haha I wouldn't consider myself a wine snob I just don't buy much wine outside of what's sent because I don't drink it that much. I do agree though, rose and white wines are amazing

Anyone having any red wine today with their Easter meal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Great thread topic by the way PKorf. I will be monitoring.

One more I will throw out there, on the cheaper side, around $10 or a bit less, is the Honoro Vera, 2013 Garnacha. One my go to cheaper wines. This blog is right up your alley.

http://www.reversewinesnob.com/honoro-vera-garnacha

I recognized this label when I was in the store after work on Friday and was glad that I opened this thread. I got the 2014 for $9 and it was well worth it, especially at 14.5%!

It's getting crazy...
b062e04a0733a888a83ecc07f73ce228.jpg

I recognized this label when I was in the store after work on Friday and was glad that I opened this thread. I got the 2014 for $9 and it was well worth it, especially at 14.5%!

Awesome! Will have to Check it out myself again..

Back