What does this say about Nike?

The reason I prefer THP reviews is because its golfers of all handicaps giving thoughts and reviews on clubs.

A scratch golfer giving a review does nothing for me. I like for a scratch, a 5, 10, so on and so on giving me a review. I know I cannot hit the center of the clubface over and over. Therefore, I cannot take MC, RS or Rory's thoughts on a driver seriously. I know that I will never be able to hit the ball the way they do.

I enjoy Crossfield and Shiels videos, but I take their reviews with a grain of salt. I want to hear thoughts about a golf club when you hit it off of the heel or way out on the toe. I do not need numbers over and over when you center it up on every driver.

Yeah exactly. I like watching their videos but Mark is probably in the top .5% of golfers in the world in terms of ball striking and club path. The guy almost always hits the center of the face so he might not see as much benefit in clubs as a 10-15 handicapper would. I like how Shiels or Finch(I get their channels mixed up sometimes) have been having this 15 handicapper test clubs and get his reaction to them.

U cant do the car comparison. Cars are way different. Clubs are 3 main parts head, shaft, grip. Cars are many different things. How big of a vehicle do u need, how much gas mileage, do u prefer sedan, coupe, hatchback. Etc etc etc. Not even close to the same argument. U could argue that basketball shoes are similar or something along those lines.

I feel like this is less an argument about Mark and more u feeling im attacking ur industry. Im not. I love THP its easily the best most interactive forum ive ever seen. I LOVE ur reviews. It gives us that warm feeling when we hear new tech we love to salivate over... but in the back of our mind we know unless its really ground breaking the benefits of the year to year technology is minimal at best.
Head volume, swing weight, total weight, head materials, I could go on and on...

It's the last comment that he makes though that creates the problem. Whether it benefits the consumer or not isn't up to him to decide, that's completely on the user. That kind of snide remark though turns people off to equipment because people rely on words like that.
Some ppl like him for his honesty. Hes being completely transparent.

I dont want to open a can of worms here, but I dont really see any problem with these remarks. What I understand from them is something more along the lines of, they claim the club is doing this, here are my results, but we would probably need a robot to prove their claims without a doubt.
Problem is ... no one out there playing the game is a robot. What you get - in hand - is what you get. So his results ... should be good enough, without any other qualifiers.

Based on solely the facts...

Crossfield said on social media that an OEM is no longer sending him clubs.
He recently gave a lukewarm review to a Nike driver.

Rest is speculation... you can take it mean Nike is petulant, running scared, etc.

But we don't know what conversations may or may not have gone on - sometimes the nature of the test is questioned. For example, a lot of tests that are out there don't discuss face contact aside from tossing out the 'worst'. But in this day and age, if I hit one club reasonably fit tightly on the sweet spot 5 times, another farther away but the average still is in the middle, I have a good idea which one will probably perform better, no matter how good their face technology is.

I think it's fair for an OEM to want to understand the test and how it's conducted before they provide clubs, and to decline if they don't think the test is fair, or if it has an element of randomness that they think isn't acceptable. Where I think things get complicated is that it seems OEMs will only raise their concerns - valid though they may be - when they come out on the short end, but are content to not rock the boat when those things work to their benefit.

Crossfield didn't have to say anything about the OEM. But I'm sure he knew putting it out there that some would go to work trying to put the pieces together and start identifying an OEM as scared, but all the time being able to appear to be taking the high ground.

IIRC, Crossfield had a similar tiff with Callaway a few years back, and they made up. I'm sure that at some point he will with this OEM as well.

I don't think any OEM would be running scared. I'm sure they just don't see the value in him doing the reviews. He doesn't talk much about the tech and what it does and if it works. Nobody has to send him clubs to review, they do because they see it as valuable marketing. He doesn't review much of Adams, TEE, Wilson Staff and I don't see them running to twitter saying a YouTube personality doesn't want to review our clubs. I find his reviews redundant not the equipment. THP reviews far more equipment and they are very informative and not redundant.

Some ppl like him for his honesty. Hes being completely transparent.

I just think it's an unnecessary comment on his part, and I don't think some of his past reviews have been exactly transparent.

I dont want to open a can of worms here, but I dont really see any problem with these remarks. What I understand from them is something more along the lines of, they claim the club is doing this, here are my results, but we would probably need a robot to prove their claims without a doubt.

what I like about his reviews, is that he never say to anyone, this is the best, this is not good, he always end up saying that this club could be good for someone that needs *insert a word from the golf clichés here*.

in the end, the thing that we have to remember is that in a 2 minutes video, the only thing he will be able to give is a quick preview and some first impressions. sometimes that's all you want to see, but if you want more information, places like THP are much better
Bingo. Nailed it. Thank u well said. Thought I was was on this boat alone.

I dont work for the golf industry. I work for myself.
Its not about an attack on any industry. Its about understanding what is happening and getting correct information out to everybody.

FWIW, the comparison still exists. There is no reason Toyota should have 8 different sedans based on the argument, since sedans are mostly made up of the same parts. My point was made that they only needed a sedan, van, truck and hybrid. The rest are just choices, just as golf clubs. Its the same for every single consumer item, and yet golf clubs get repeatedly "sanctioned" for giving people too many choices. Its easy, nobody has to buy anything. And again I will ask, why is it okay for PING to release 3 drivers in the last 3 months or so and not okay for a company to release 5 in the last 6 months?

I would still love to know why more choices bad for the consumer?

I have tried to be clear that I will not comment on someone else's work in regards to this thread, but at the same time want to make sure real information is being passed on. THPers can have any opinion they want about any brand they want.
U work for yourself which is dependent on the Golf Industry... ipso facto their ur boss lol. But again I cannot stress how unrelated the motor vehicle vs golf club argument is.

U work for yourself which is dependent on the Golf Industry... ipso facto their ur boss lol. But again I cannot stress how unrelated the motor vehicle vs golf club argument is.

I think it's less about cars vs clubs and more about how many sedans are produced by a company.
Toyota Prius
Toyota Prius C
Toyota Prius Plug in
Toyota Prius V

Then on the club side.
Ping G30
Ping G30 SF
Ping G30 LS

Each of the models offer something different.

I just think it's an unnecessary comment on his part, and I don't think some of his past reviews have been exactly transparent.
Examples? I watch alot of his stuff and dont know when he hasnt been honest.

I think it's less about cars vs clubs and more about how many sedans are produced by a company.
Toyota Prius
Toyota Prius C
Toyota Prius Plug in
Toyota Prius V

Then on the club side.
Ping G30
Ping G30 SF
Ping G30 LS

Each of the models offer something different.
But they have significant different purposes. If Callaway or TM produced one line of drivers and had 3 under the same name with large differences is absolutely fine. But 24 drivers in 2 years cmon man. Thats just ridiculous.

Not even close to accurate. If the golf industry stops supporting THP, THP does not shut down. We proved that in our 1st two years of business and will continue to.

All I can say to this is oh my goodness, it could not be more incorrect.

Examples? I watch alot of his stuff and dont know when he hasnt been honest.

It's not so much not honest but he may hit one driver better than another, yet still prefer one more than the other. More so in his earlier videos.

But they have significant different purposes. If Callaway or TM produced one line of drivers and had 3 under the same name with large differences is absolutely fine. But 24 drivers in 2 years cmon man. Thats just ridiculous.

Car manufactures also have multiple lines and more than 24 models in 2 years, why do I need 6 SUV's to choose from in the Toyota line? I was only using the Prius as an example. When is it okay for a company to release a new product?

Not even close to accurate. If the golf industry stops supporting THP, THP does not shut down. We proved that in our 1st two years of business and will continue to.

All I can say to this is oh my goodness, it could not be more incorrect.
JB it was a joke movie quote from dodgeball that flew over everyones head.

It's not so much not honest but he may hit one driver better than another, yet still prefer one more than the other. More so in his earlier videos.
I agree his earlier videos he was very Mizuno biased, and hated on any "chunky" GI club. Post him gaming the JPX EZ he is very open to all equipment, and I feel he does the best he can in a short time explaining what he does and doesnt like about a club. But always ends with the same feeling that no Major Company makes a bad club, they just are all subjective to everyones look and preference feel.

Car manufactures also have multiple lines and more than 24 models in 2 years, why do I need 6 SUV's to choose from in the Toyota line? I was only using the Prius as an example. When is it okay for a company to release a new product?
This is my 4th or 5th time stating that I really believe the car argument isnt relevant. I guess my objection to the 24 driver argument is because 2 companies in particular IMO are the cause of the demise of the local golf shop. U cant expect a local shop to carry all these different drivers. And the novice club purchaser just walks in asking for whatever TM he saw on TV, yet the business is stuck with the last 3 models from 4 months ago. Thats my problem but probably an argument for a diff thread.

This is my 4th or 5th time stating that I really believe the car argument isnt relevant. I guess my objection to the 24 driver argument is because 2 companies in particular IMO are the cause of the demise of the local golf shop. U cant expect a local shop to carry all these different drivers. And the novice club purchaser just walks in asking for whatever TM he saw on TV, yet the business is stuck with the last 3 models from 4 months ago. Thats my problem but probably an argument for a diff thread.

It definitely is an argument for a different thread, but I don't think choice is ever a bad thing for consumers. Embrace the different drivers, if anything it makes the older ones cheaper faster. I personally enjoy getting to hit the many different ones and find which is best for me.

Not entirely true

Not entirely true

Not only is it not entirely true, its a personal business choice. Nobody forces any store to buy and stock goods. There are a select few reporting that that is the demise of the small golf shop. Yet, nobody wants to look at the real demise. Where is the outcry that a label makes 29 types of jeans, so the B&M retail shops are closing? Oh wait, because its bullsh!t. That's why. Stores are closing due to bad decisions, the invention called the internet and large big box retailers that are not specialty stores.

Inventory management played a role and certainly has been an issue for one company in particular (TaylorMade), but that has little to do with releases, despite what some want to keep addressing, bringing up and throwing it as fact. Its not fact.

Still waiting for someone to explain why Ping is not flooding the market with 3 drivers in about 90 days and other companies that release 5 in about 6 months are?

And that still goes back to the same thing...How is choice bad for consumers? Lets even say that the releases are bad for the golf store (which they are not, when done correctly). How does that negatively impact the consumer? It gives more options and reduces prices. Oh how awful

It definitely is an argument for a different thread, but I don't think choice is ever a bad thing for consumers. Embrace the different drivers, if anything it makes the older ones cheaper faster. I personally enjoy getting to hit the many different ones and find which is best for me.

Yea, I've never understood why people get their drawers in a tizzy over a OEM putting out 3 drivers one year and then putting another 3 out the next year. Don't buy it if you think it's the same thing, or if you don't like the color scheme or if it looks too closed or open at address....don't buy it. Why scream from the tallest mountain about how that OEM is "flooding" the market with new drivers and people should be outraged about it.

Oh yea, thats right.....they are upset about the resell market for their old driver now and how they only got $75 back instead of $125.

#CircleOfLife

So to summarize...This thread is a huge circle of nothing. MC has a big fan Nike is the company that snubbed him...allegedly.

Not only is it not entirely true, its a personal business choice. Nobody forces any store to buy and stock goods. There are a select few reporting that that is the demise of the small golf shop. Yet, nobody wants to look at the real demise. Where is the outcry that a label makes 29 types of jeans, so the B&M retail shops are closing? Oh wait, because its bullsh!t. That's why. Stores are closing due to bad decisions, the invention called the internet and large big box retailers that are not specialty stores.

Inventory management played a role and certainly has been an issue for one company in particular (TaylorMade), but that has little to do with releases, despite what some want to keep addressing, bringing up and throwing it as fact. Its not fact.

Still waiting for someone to explain why Ping is not flooding the market with 3 drivers in about 90 days and other companies that release 5 in about 6 months are?

And that still goes back to the same thing...How is choice bad for consumers? Lets even say that the releases are bad for the golf store (which they are not, when done correctly). How does that negatively impact the consumer? It gives more options and reduces prices. Oh how awful

Because they don't have to. They have no shareholders to please. All of this "flooding the market" with endless new club releases will end sooner or later.

Back