Good result at Callaway demo day.

Jackal

Reaction score
Handicap
Went to a Callaway demo day yesterday. It was late and most people were gone. The rep let me and my son hit the new drivers and checked us on his launch monitor.

In the past, launch monitors at Dick's and other places showed me to have a105 to 108 swing speed.

This guy set and checked everything. His system showed me at a 14° launch angle (average), and my swing speed was 98mph average. Up to 103 when I get on it.

My drives carry about 240-255, and longest with good roll is about 270.

This seems like a good efficient distance with my swing speed.

I love the new Great Big Bertha, with the sliding weight. I didn't hit it farther than my driver just more consistent.

He didn't try to pressure me into buying one. He told me my Cobra Zl Encore fit me well, and my shaft selection was working good for me. The Callaway had more adjustments and consistency, was all.

My son did really well, he had a smash factor close to 1.5 almost all of the time. He is ready for a new driver, and we will probably buy him one for his birthday.

It was surprising that I didn't hit the Alpha 816 DBD very well. I wanted to kill it and justify buying one.

We both hit the GBB really good.

This just goes to show you need to hit before you buy.

Thanks Callaway for the demo day and having great reps.

Jack

FWIW, the DBD isn't for most people. Definitely gonna go try the GBB though.

Yea it's not really shocking to me that the 816 DBD didn't perform super well for you. From Callaways own description on it, it sounds like it's not going to be the easiest to hit driver out there. That seems to be the spot the GBB fills, and fills very well from everything I've heard so far.

He told me that a lot of the pro's prefer the GBB, but Phil Mickelson took to the DBD immediately.

We have some guys on here that can utilize the DBD: Canadan, bluegold, Trout bum, etc.

Jack

Sounds like an incredible experience. Between the clubs working well for both you and your son, then add a quality rep with a low pressure approach, perfect! Demo days are just the best!

He told me that a lot of the pro's prefer the GBB, but Phil Mickelson took to the DBD immediately.

We have some guys on here that can utilize the DBD: Canadan, bluegold, Trout bum, etc.

Jack

Phil would haha. But yes, the DBD will definitely fit some, and I'm curious what I will see out of it at #TheGauntlet if we get to test them. Low spinning driver heads are something I get very interested in since I usually spin drivers pretty high.

Yea I plan to hit the GBB at some point

I've been to a couple of Callaway demo day's and it was always a very good time. Waiting on the GBB to come in at my course for demo.

Want to hit the GBB as well. Is the DBD more forgiving?

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

Want to hit the GBB as well. Is the DBD more forgiving?

sent from my Samsoon S5 from the bottom of a mud hole

Than the GBB? Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Its not even in the same stratosphere.

Back