2015 Fitness and Working Out Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
So...winter is the offseason for me and I use it to hit the gym hard and lift/cardio 3-5 times a week. I started my winter workouts about two weeks ago and have been progressing well, however my golf game as suffered tremendously.

With the weather still being nice, I was able to get out Saturday and Sunday and played my two worst rounds of the year. Do you think the lifting could have something to do with it? Maybe my body is "tightening" up and I should stretch more? I warm up prior to work outs and do a few stretches during and after the work out as I understand flexibility is important for golf/power.

Anyone else ever deal with this?

So...winter is the offseason for me and I use it to hit the gym hard and lift/cardio 3-5 times a week. I started my winter workouts about two weeks ago and have been progressing well, however my golf game as suffered tremendously.

With the weather still being nice, I was able to get out Saturday and Sunday and played my two worst rounds of the year. Do you think the lifting could have something to do with it? Maybe my body is "tightening" up and I should stretch more? I warm up prior to work outs and do a few stretches during and after the work out as I understand flexibility is important for golf/power.

At your level, it probably is just a function of not playing for a couple weeks and getting out there again. Could be a timing issue. Could be loss of touch in the short game. I wouldn't be discouraged by a bad round or two.

I have experienced this with regard to other sports. My solution is yoga.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

House Money

House Money

I would not sweat it. I have played a couple times lately and have been inconsistent. I feel like golf in Wisconsin this time of year is like playing with the house money. I don't focus as much as I know we are going into winter and I just enjoy being able to be out. You probably haven't swung nearly as much lately as you do in midseason.

I'm going to lay off the weights this week and focus on cardio as I am planning to play this weekend. While I haven't played as much as I normally did in September (4-5 9 hole rounds a week), I've still played on most weekends.

I'll save the lifting for January-March.

Edit: When I say a bad round, I'm talking about only have maybe 10 good swings (irons-driver) through 36 holes...it was BAD and very out of character for me.

Well I finally got started on a workout routine. Over lunch today I started Insanity Max 30 and man am I out of shape! Last spring I had done a month of regular Insanity and jumped up to month 1 of Max 30 and was really feeling good. I completely dropped the ball over the summer and it's amazing how out of shape I am now. I can tell I'm going to hurt the next couple of days but I can already feel my back and neck stretched out. Now I just need to work on eating better...

Well I finally got started on a workout routine. Over lunch today I started Insanity Max 30 and man am I out of shape! Last spring I had done a month of regular Insanity and jumped up to month 1 of Max 30 and was really feeling good. I completely dropped the ball over the summer and it's amazing how out of shape I am now. I can tell I'm going to hurt the next couple of days but I can already feel my back and neck stretched out. Now I just need to work on eating better...
Those workouts are truly insane.

Those workouts are truly insane.

They sure are. I have to say though, after doing it for 2 months last spring my golf game had never been better. It really helped me strengthen my core and boosted my flexibility.

gym at lunch time today was packed. havent seen it that busy in the 1pm range before.

Week 1 of the new program in the books.

Tonight was

10 min of TGU to warm up.
Double front rack kettlebell squats 4x6
Chin ups 6,5,4,4
DB rows 4x8

Then 5 mins of KB snatches with a 50-50 work/rest ratio.

Week 1 of the new program in the books.

Tonight was

10 min of TGU to warm up.
Double front rack kettlebell squats 4x6
Chin ups 6,5,4,4
DB rows 4x8

Then 5 mins of KB snatches with a 50-50 work/rest ratio.
Soviet style. Good work

Looking at you do squats I'm thinking you may need a few personal trainer lessons. Dude your gonna blow out your back or knees

all I'm going to say ; I was heavy in lifting for quite a while . Your form is dangerous for you right now

Looking at you do squats I'm thinking you may need a few personal trainer lessons. Dude your gonna blow out your back or knees

all I'm going to say ; I was heavy in lifting for quite a while . Your form is dangerous for you right now
Huh? Me? How so? I may lose some lumbar control and have a touch of flexion. I can see that, but my knees are perfect.

Second workout in. I was already able to get my arms back into better position on the squats. First set of bench press and it was tempting to start with a little too much for my work set, but I think i started at the right weight.

Making sure I eat enough will be interesting. I'll probably use the "if I feel hungry, eat something" rule I'm familiar with from marathon training.

Spent an hour on the trainer tonight. Doing some cycling workouts on the Kickr and Zwift. Those ftp workouts are no joke.

Ass officially kicked right now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soviet style. Good work

Yeah, the gym is a KB centric gym so I'm not surprised. I'm a fan of them mixed in with the big lifts.

Interestingly my wife got prescribed back squats with a pause at the bottom for her squat. I just haven't gotten the chance to ask why the difference.

I'm really happy to be working towards some goals. Was getting a bit aimless for a while and that's never good in the gym.

Huh? Me? How so? I may lose some lumbar control and have a touch of flexion. I can see that, but my knees are perfect.
I don't know you at all ... But when it comes to saving even a stranger from injury i will say something. Just get some personal trainer to guide you .. If you continue that way, you will get hurt

do what you wish .. Just trying to not see anyone get hurt when doing a sport like this without direction and proper guidance. Not being a jerk at all , believe me

I don't know you at all ... But when it comes to saving even a stranger from injury i will say something. Just get some personal trainer to guide you .. If you continue that way, you will get hurt

do what you wish .. Just trying to not see anyone get hurt when doing a sport like this without direction and proper guidance. Not being a jerk at all , believe me
How do you know I haven't seen a person trainer? I appreciate your concern but what part of my squat movement leads you to believe I'm in danger of hurting my knees?

Second workout in. I was already able to get my arms back into better position on the squats. First set of bench press and it was tempting to start with a little too much for my work set, but I think i started at the right weight.

Making sure I eat enough will be interesting. I'll probably use the "if I feel hungry, eat something" rule I'm familiar with from marathon training.
I like it. Keep up the good work.
Yeah, the gym is a KB centric gym so I'm not surprised. I'm a fan of them mixed in with the big lifts.

Interestingly my wife got prescribed back squats with a pause at the bottom for her squat. I just haven't gotten the chance to ask why the difference.

I'm really happy to be working towards some goals. Was getting a bit aimless for a while and that's never good in the gym.
My understanding, the pause makes the movement more quad dominant. Feeling the stretch reflex and bounce makes the movement hip dominant.

Bench press, standing cable push downs, standing cable face pulls

Switching things up for the next few weeks - instead of decent weight at 12 reps over 3 sets, I'm doing close to my max on 5x5. First round was last night, and my upper body is absolutely feeling it today.

Started with 5/3/1 plan then did some more reading and have switched to updated beyond 5/3/1 with first set last set program and boring but big for assistance work.

DL 5x5 followed by amrap at 65%. Squats 5x10 @40% (will be doing this for % on all "assistance work" for 6 weeks then switching to 50%) and ab roller. Will add some additional ab work later today

Started with 5/3/1 plan then did some more reading and have switched to updated beyond 5/3/1 with first set last set program and boring but big for assistance work.

DL 5x5 followed by amrap at 65%. Squats 5x10 @40% (will be doing this for % on all "assistance work" for 6 weeks then switching to 50%) and ab roller. Will add some additional ab work later today
I honestly have no idea what 531 prescribes. I'm not sure about the program structure. I need to look into it

Do some Russian twists and other rotational ab work that has a loading and unloading. That will help you crush your shots.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back