what part of your game are you working on?

this position right here is exactly like my swing... exactly except my club head is more john dalyesque
what is your biggest miss?

Honestly, everything. It's really inconsistent. Mostly weak fades with the occasional big pull. Lots of action on the heel of the club when my timing is good.

As the days get shorter time after dinner to practice is getting shorter too. Tonight I was able to work on the short game and putting a bit. I wanted to work on hitting greens from 50 - 70 yards and then getting that dang putt in there close, if not making it. Since no one was there I was able to hit the ATV wedge from the range over onto the green which is always fun. Those times when you bust a nice driver and only have a wedge in are some of the most frustrating to mess up. So that is why I worked on what I did tonight. I peppered the flags tonight and it felt awesome to do. Just last week I would have sent anything further then 30 yards or so straight right or aka the sh**k. Not tonight though. I even hit a range ball out to the 90 yard or so marker. Sure feels good getting back to good golf shots finally.

I like it buddy. Nice to see some positives coming your way!

I had a range session as well and I'm going to make a little write-up on it here in a bit.

I am working on generating more speed with my wedges just before impact

Marathon 2 hour practice session followed by some more work in the yard last night.

Waiting until I get some more practice time before I put up some updated still shots, but the real focus of my range session yesterday was shortening up my back swing and keeping myself connected a little better - i.e. right elbow a bit closer to my body.

Had some pretty good success with this in the form of decent drawing ball flight, though I did push the ball as well. I took some preliminary video and it was a little better. My move back was a little more compact, but I still turned too far. The good news is that there was progress. The bad news is that I keep getting stuck on my right side, which causes problems.

Aside from the back swing, my next big focus is my leg work. It's nothing new. Something I've been working on for months and months. I watched some video of Tony Jacklin talking about leg work and the way he presented it made a lot of sense, so I went outside and did some swinging in the yard. Focusing on a smooth move that really started from the knees up. Will keep doing the same thing and see what I can make of it at the next range session.

After the full swing I spent an hour on putting and short game stuff on and around the practice green. I had a buddy with me and we had some friendly competitions with a putter and wedges, which sure beats practicing alone.

ball control out of the sand,been an off year for my sand shots. Spent the last month with at least 10 hours a week on the practice green and cut my average puts to just under 2 putts per hole over my last 3 rounds. time to move onto the sand

I don't practice and that is my problem. I can find time to go out and play 1 maybe 2 rounds in a week, but can't find time to practice.

I need to practice on my short game, but when I do, I have no problems on the green or on the range.

But as soon as I get out on the course I can't hit consistently good chips or putts.

I need to find someone to bet with while practicing to make it a little more competitive like real rounds.

Personally, I have recently started to almost ignore actual practice (didn't have time to practice or play for a few weeks now) and have picked up a book on the mental side of golf. So I guess you could say I'm working on trying to stay focused and positive. After not playing today for a couple of weeks, I actually went out and shot my best round ever. My putting was for the most part as great as it has ever been and I was just enjoying it so much more and staying positive, despite a horrible start. I never realized how big of an impact the mental side of golf and the short game have on the outcome of the round.

Honestly, everything. It's really inconsistent. Mostly weak fades with the occasional big pull. Lots of action on the heel of the club when my timing is good.
ive always had the look behind me back swing with the hips facing back away from the target
not looking at the ball has cost me consistent contact and hips facing away have cost me serious distance
been taking alot of lessons through out the summer which is very odd for me since i normally take them winter/early spring
right now my swing is everywhere since im working really hard to rebuild it from the ground up but im definitely seeing more progress than set backs
have you tried 1/4 half and 3/4 swings? i did that to try to keep from going too far back in my back swing lol

I had my first golf lesson after the Morgan Cup today, and had a really great session. My coach knows me well enough to know that I can't have too many thoughts running through my mind when I'm trying to work on my swing, so he usually only gives me 1 or 2 things. In a nutshell, operation "shorten my swing" started today, and it's going to take a while for those changes to sink in. My swing plane and takeaway are pretty good, but I go way too long with my arm swing and having flexible wrists makes my swing even longer. So on the backswing, my thought is to try to take the club back without any wrist hinge, and keep the butt of the club pointed towards the ground. In my swing now, the club goes so far that the butt end of the club points upward at the end of my backswing. My usual miss is a hook from coming too hard from the inside, so the downswing thought for me is to try to hit a fade. It's pretty simple stuff to think about, but it's going to take a long time to shorten my swing. I'm going to hit a ton of wedge shots in the next 2-3 months while I can still hit balls outside so that I can try to make the changes with shorter clubs, and hopefully that transfers to my long game. One other way to look at it: I'm trying to feel like I'm taking the club back like Steve Stricker does, even though it doesn't look that way on video.

We also worked a little bit on my short game, as I told him that I was having some trouble with tighter lies and trying to hit the ball high and soft from those lies. My coach watched me hit a few shots, and then told me something that made a light bulb go off in my head. On good shots, my arms and the club head would travel at the same speed. On bad shots, either the club head would beat my hands to the ball (aka flip) or my hands would outrace the club head, resulting in a low shot that usually went longer than I intended. Having the swing thought of trying to keep a smooth tempo and match up the hands with the club head led to some really good shots after that. So now I have a couple of things to focus on with my long game and one main thing to focus on with my short game, and I'm looking forward to putting in some work on those things over the next couple of months. My goal is to be a single digit handicap before the end of the golf season up here.

I had my first golf lesson after the Morgan Cup today, and had a really great session. My coach knows me well enough to know that I can't have too many thoughts running through my mind when I'm trying to work on my swing, so he usually only gives me 1 or 2 things. In a nutshell, operation "shorten my swing" started today, and it's going to take a while for those changes to sink in. My swing plane and takeaway are pretty good, but I go way too long with my arm swing and having flexible wrists makes my swing even longer. So on the backswing, my thought is to try to take the club back without any wrist hinge, and keep the butt of the club pointed towards the ground. In my swing now, the club goes so far that the butt end of the club points upward at the end of my backswing. My usual miss is a hook from coming too hard from the inside, so the downswing thought for me is to try to hit a fade.
I'm looking forward to following your progress as I have the same issues. I'm really flexible in the shoulders and wrists and get "long and loose" in the backswing. I'm working on being more compact and rotational, with a more square clubface rather than having to release. All in an effort to have a more consistent, controlled swing.

Surprisingly, I haven't lost any distance at all, and in fact am hitting it further than ever.

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Over the past 2 months, I have never worked harder on my game. Currently, I am working on my putting. I have always been an "ok" putter, and usually I am automatic within 8 feet. But where I struggle is the longer putts and lagging it close to the hole. I am either way short or too long. I have hit the practice green a few times this week and have been really working on gauging my distance, as well as working on my putting accuracy. Alignment has always been a struggle of mine, and it's no secret that the SeeMore had that problem sured up while it was in the bag. I took both, my SeeMore and my MX #7 with me, but also went back to doing something that I hadnt done in months...alignment aid on the ball.

It really is amazing at the difference I see in my putting when I have the line on the ball, and line it up on the path I want to roll the ball on. I made so impressively long putts this past Sunday, one was about 80 feet for a birdie and the other was about 40 feet for a scrambling par.

I like what ARY's coach is working on with him. Sounds exactly like what a teaching coach told me a year ago when I was playing some pretty darn good golf. He had me shorten my back swing and feel like I was trying to fade the ball on the follow through.

I have two things that absolutely kill my swing if I am doing them:

1. Tempo being too quick causes me to do all kinds of crazy stuff with my swing. I have to constantly work on my silent count which is one, two, pow
2. Flipping the hands especially from 60 yds in. This absolutely kills my scores. I can strike my driver and long to mid irons great all day long however once I start flipping, the fat lady is singing.

I'm looking forward to following your progress as I have the same issues. I'm really flexible in the shoulders and wrists and get "long and loose" in the backswing. I'm working on being more compact and rotational, with a more square clubface rather than having to release. All in an effort to have a more consistent, controlled swing.

Surprisingly, I haven't lost any distance at all, and in fact am hitting it further than ever.

Shanked with my Galaxy S2 using Tapatalk

Obviously if you're a 2 handicap, you don't have as many swing issues as I do! I did see some really good distance with my wedges with swings that felt a lot shorter than normal, it's crazy how that works out. I just have to convince myself that I can get normal distances from a shorter swing.

Over the past 2 months, I have never worked harder on my game. Currently, I am working on my putting. I have always been an "ok" putter, and usually I am automatic within 8 feet. But where I struggle is the longer putts and lagging it close to the hole. I am either way short or too long. I have hit the practice green a few times this week and have been really working on gauging my distance, as well as working on my putting accuracy. Alignment has always been a struggle of mine, and it's no secret that the SeeMore had that problem sured up while it was in the bag. I took both, my SeeMore and my MX #7 with me, but also went back to doing something that I hadnt done in months...alignment aid on the ball.

It really is amazing at the difference I see in my putting when I have the line on the ball, and line it up on the path I want to roll the ball on. I made so impressively long putts this past Sunday, one was about 80 feet for a birdie and the other was about 40 feet for a scrambling par.

If you want to discuss approaches to putting, let me know, I'm always willing to talk about it.

Obviously if you're a 2 handicap, you don't have as many swing issues as I do! I did see some really good distance with my wedges with swings that felt a lot shorter than normal, it's crazy how that works out. I just have to convince myself that I can get normal distances from a shorter swing.

Oh, there are still plenty of swing issues - they just change as you get better!

I know that my full wedges are much better with the more compact swing. Much more consistent contact without the "looseness" that can produce what I call the "fluffy" wedge. I'm feeling a lot more powerful with the swing, though it's harder to put a little extra on it (and probably a good thing - I don't need the extra). Bottom line - when I execute it right, I'm hitting the ball more consistently and solidly. My problem is keeping the old habits from creeping back in.

Skipped off the pond using Tapatalk

I'm working on getting a consistent & smooth swing. I get a few nice s***s but follow them up with some pretty bad ones.

i need more consistency from game to game day to day
im getting sick of shooting 70s one day and 100 the next

i need more consistency from game to game day to day
im getting sick of shooting 70s one day and 100 the next

Anything obvious that you think is the culprit? I've noticed that you can fluctuate low to high quite often.

everything, and by everything, i'm just trying to be consistent. i have a natural draw and usually its there for a good few weeks then suddenly, i cant draw a ball for my life, does anyone experience this ?

Dhkelly was generous enough to loan me a set of X-22 Tour irons with Project X 5.5 shafts as i cant work the ball properly with my X-20's with uniflex shafts.

I'll be working on seeing how much better I can shape the ball left and right and see if I can knock a few more shots off my handicap!!

Short game, putting, short game , putting...... AND,,,,,,,,, the mental aspect of the game....

:D

I've been working on putting a lot. Since I don't exactly put it in the 5 foot circle on every approach shot, eliminating 3 putts almost completely and trying to get to 1-putting as much as possible is going to be the best thing I can do for my game. I've been spending 2 hours a day working on 15 feet and in on the practice green and am seeing good improvement. To work on longer putts (which I see frequently) I have to wait for the course to clear up at night to go out to one of the greens and practice because the practice green isn't big enough.
How small is your putting green? Can't you just stand on one end and putt to a spot on the opposite side? You don't always have to go for a cup. Toss a drink coaster down and try to hit it. I will do that a lot on our practice green because it's not real big, and where they cut the holes is really not too far apart.

This will sound funny, but I'm working on swinging like Chunky. Basically his posture and easy swinging motion. We are both turn-turn swingers, but my observation in MB was that he's ALOT better at it than I am. I played yesterday and my swing thought was "Chunky". Worked pretty well actually!

Going to take the easy swinging swing-thought to my course today for nine holes I suppose. Smooth move back and getting my belt buckle facing the target. All of this pursuit of distance has me missing the center of the face too much and I'm just going to focus on that for awhile. I'm tired of trying to hit the ball far. I also may try to hit up the practice green as a new CS Seemore should arrive today.

been working on tempo alot recently...found that working with the orange whip is doing great things for my swing. also, working on wedge play...different chips/pitches/lobs etc and getting comfortable with them. since it's coming down to year end i'm trying to 'lock in' my swing into a repeatable, consistent motion so over the winter i can practice it indoors...get the 'feel' right before i can't hit anymore balls...

Just spent working on wedges/shorthand and putting. I am getting off the tee good and hitting my mid irons good just can't hit a green from the middle of the FW with 125 and less in. Any tips I am hitting it fat/thin poor distance and directional control. I hit them great on the range!

Putting I am just focusing on a good descending strike and follow through to target and have had some really good results last few rounds out.

With our club championship coming up this weekend my week looks like this:

Yesterday: short game, short game, & short game. They are letting the rough grow out for two weeks and at least they were kind enough to grow it around the practice area too. Spent 1.5 hours yesterday with all three scor wedges and as many different bad lies as I could find. Practice green was my usual game of chip 5 balls to a pin and then make all five putts before I can move to a different spot. Before I knew it I had been on the practice area for 2.5 hours

Today: Play the back nine from the tips
Thursday: Play the front nine from the tips
Friday: will spend a little time on the range with what ever hasn't been working on the previous nines and of course putting. They will speed up the greens to around 10 - 10.5. Normally they stimp at 9. No our course doesn't post this info normally, but I play the occasional round with one of the maintenance guys.

Back