% of golfers with your handicap

I play with some guys who literally claim to be single digit handicappers and I regularly play better than them. They dont like to play with me because I make them take penalties and I force them to follow the rules when taking score. So they always have an excuse of why they shot an 85 instead of a 75. But everytime they play and I'm not a round I hear them telling people in the clubhouse they shot 3 over for the day. I just bite my tongue b/c one day they will get blackballed out of the club for cheating and I will be one happy camper.

Some guys also brag about their girlfriends being awesome (ugly) or their dog being the best in the world, or the car they drive. I don't listen to any of that. I can tell you without doubt that a 5 handicap can shoot 85 or 90 on a really bad day just as easily as a guy that shoots 95 normally can have his best day ever and shoot 82. The difference is that one of them is doing it from the back tees and the other from the whites but that is less important than some people think.

question on handicap:
I don't have one, but going over my score cards, I average em out to be 'round a 93. What type of handicap would that roughly be, do ya need slope ratings or can it be figured without.
Thanks

roughly about 16.5

roughly about 16.5

Agree with that pretty much. Another quick way to figure what your current handicap is is to take the normal par at your golf course, 72 or whatever, and subtract your 5 or 6 best scores over the past few months, not your average score, and then you get roughly 3/4 of those strokes over par on just those rounds, then you can average that number. It isn't perfect but it is a lot closer to realistic. Handicap is based on the best you can play at any one point in time not the average of how you play. If your best was an 88 then for that score you get 12 strokes or so for a handicap (3/4 of 16), when people guess they always guess higher if they have played for awhile and if they have not played much they will tend to guess lower because they don't really know. The best way to get a handicap is still to go ahead and sign up for a handicap online and post your last 5 or 6 scores and wait for the number to come back. Some golf courses and clubs charge fees for keeping a handicap but there are many ways to get one for free.

Back