Voice Caddie GPS Review Thread

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
I have received the Voice Caddie GPS that I will be doing a home page review on. I'll use this thread to share information and updates as I go. Here are some initial unboxing pictures.

97489DC9-95CA-4FB9-A561-96C56094C9C3-336-0000002EA72B2C30.jpg

625C69A4-F661-4665-96D9-DB518F31FF93-336-0000002E9EA3C2B9.jpg

As you can see it is small and light weight. It appears to be a little big for the bill of your cap but it really doesn't seem to interfere with vision or does it feel weird on your head. Immediately after receiving it I attempted to go straight to the golf course and use it but it requires the courses to be downloaded with a program called VC Manager prior to use so when I turned it on it was unable to find my location. That's understandable though, however looking at the user guide that came in the package it did not say I'd have to do that. Anyway, I have all 4 courses in my city downloaded to the device and I'll be using this Wednesday night for play in Men's League. I'll update you as I go.

Excited to see how this works for you. Interested to see if the ease of use and simplicity outweighs the lack of options other gps units allow.

Thanks for the initial unboxing. Sort of weird the box didnt state you needed to download courses. It is very small and seems unobtrusive, although it looks sorta odd on your hat. Will you take some pictures with you wearing the hat as well?

Thanks for the initial unboxing. Sort of weird the box didnt state you needed to download courses. It is very small and seems unobtrusive, although it looks sorta odd on your hat. Will you take some pictures with you wearing the hat as well?
Sure I can do that.

Jake, I think it's a pretty cool device, but I would think it would be a better fit on the belt...?

Jake, I think it's a pretty cool device, but I would think it would be a better fit on the belt...?
Yeah probably. I just snapped that pic because the company pushes it pretty hard as a hat clip. It even has a magnetic ball marker attached to it as well.

I'll actually likely clip it on the side of my bag as it sits on my Clicgear push cart.

Looking forward to your on course thoughts on this device Jake.

From the first photo, I was thinking how small it was; then I saw it on the hat and it is definitely bigger than I initially though. Like the idea of clipping it to the cart as opposed to the hat.

i couldn't wear that on my hat...but definitely on my belt, inside my pocket, or on my bag for sure.

looking forward to your review Jake.

I mean it sounds interesting, but there is no way I'd rock that on my hat. I could probably do it on my belt or on the strap of my bag while on a push cart.

Backing up everyone else's comments about not putting it on my hat. But I am sure a belt or even on the bag would work. Looking forward to the review!

I'm really looking forward to hearing your opinion on this Jake.

Good luck with this, Jake. I liked seeing the voice-unit that Yoccos reviewed, so this should be a good one to follow as well.

I think this would have to go on my belt, like others have said no way I could rock this on my hat

How does it know when to tell you your distance? Does it know when you stop, or do you press a button?

I'll be interested to see how this works. My only concern is what happens if you start on a different hole than #1? Is there a function where you can pick what hole you start on?

I played a few different groups in Cali recently that had a device similar to this. You just push it and it speaks out the yardage to the green. Handy device but I think I would just prefer the actual visual gps that gives readings to everything with just a quick glance.

looking forward to your review Jake.

Looking forward to the reviews. The voice and watch gps are on the short list for next golf tech device to buy.

How does it know when to tell you your distance? Does it know when you stop, or do you press a button?
You just press a button.

I'll be interested to see how this works. My only concern is what happens if you start on a different hole than #1? Is there a function where you can pick what hole you start on?
That's a good question. I believe it finds you but I'm 100% sure on that one. I'll find out tomorrow. Then again I'm starting on hole 1 tomorrow so I guess I won't find out. I'll play around with it and see what it does.

i wonder if it gives you crazy yardages as the battery dies?

Good question buddy, I'll find that out for you too! I'm all charged up now so it'll be a while before I run through 9 hours of golf time but we'll see what happens.

Good question buddy, I'll find that out for you too! I'm all charged up now so it'll be a while before I run through 9 hours of golf time but we'll see what happens.

Thanks Jake, Im interested in this product

I played 9 holes in Men's Club last night so I got a great chance to use the Voice Caddie GPS. I have my home course all uploaded to the device and I'm ready to go. On my way to the course I grabbed a couple pics of the Voice Caddie as it was attached to my cap. People wanted to see what it looks like while on. I do not like how it looked, it felt fine on the bill because it's very light weight but when it was back a bit on the side of my cap I felt the clip rubbing against my head. No thanks! So I ended up just hooking this to my bag instead, still right with me at all times and very convenient.

6E246150-A378-4A2D-AC5F-6F416C91BC34-2512-00000243ABBCC8BF.jpg

017372A9-2D36-48ED-A438-FF67E63A5CAF-2512-00000243AE1E8DB9.jpg

So as I pull into the development where my course is I power the device on and it immediately chimes in with a welcome and says it's searching GPS. After about a minute or so it says "Golf course detected, please proceed to the tee box." It didn't specify that it was my course it detected, but I trusted it was in fact that and away I went. We started on #10 and right away on the 10th tee I press the button and I get "Hole 10, 393 yards left." The 10th hole is a 390 yard par 4 so that tells me we're dialed in and ready to go.

I used it the entire round and often times doubled checked yardages with my range finder and found the Voice Caddie to be very accurate every time. Distances from the VC were to middle of the green. A guy in our group was in a cart equipped with a GPS and the few times I compared VC's distance to what he had we were within a yard or two each time.

I did have 1 slight issue out there last night. Holes 14 and 15 run parallel to one another in opposite directions. Everything worked great on 14 but when we turned around and played 15 the VC didn't know we had changed holes. Now on the 15th tee I did not press the button to see if it detected us, it wasn't until we were down the hole in the fairway preparing for our 2nd shot that I tried to get a yardage. Once I realized it thought we were on 14 still I kept messing around with it to see if would pick up that we weren't on 14 anymore but it never did find us. Once we stepped to the 16th hole Voice Caddie immediately picked up where we were and I have no issues the rest of the way. I don't think it's a huge deal and I'm sure it covers something like that in the documentation so I'll read up on it and see. 14 and 15 on my course definitely are close, the 14th tee box is probably only 20 yards from the 15th green and then the 14th green is probably 40 yards from the 15th tee so I can see where it might get confused.

All in all it worked great though, it always was ready to spit out a yardage when I pressed the button and the distances were quite accurate as well. I did have some laughs using it because the voice is a female voice that reminds me of one of my daughter's barbie toys or something. I'll get a video of using it to capture the voice for you, you'll like it.

Great recap, Jake. I figure there has to be a way to force it on a hole in those situations.

I like the initial update scruffy! That would be my concern with those units is the lack of interface and fixing an error. Will have to see if it was just a fluke or if it does it again next time you are on those two holes.

Back