New Goal : 3i , 210 yards.

timbertoes

OCD Golfer
Reaction score
Handicap
Hmmmmm

Seems that what the Pro's were doing yesterday at BMW.

wish me luck in my new goal.

Also, I will need some references to some bone and tendon doctors. :bulgy-eyes:

Yeesh...I hit my #4 utility about 210, but the 3H is only good for about 185 or so.

Can't Tiger hit a 9I close to 200 yards? I thought I saw him do that in some tournament.

210 yards seems pretty short for the male Pros, even if it is all carry. I carry mine 185, and I am typically 50 yards shorter than the pros, even shorter with the short irons and wedges, which I don't hit very 'fully'.

Good luck timbertoes! How much extra do you need?

210 yards seems pretty short for the male Pros, even if it is all carry. I carry mine 185, and I am typically 50 yards shorter than the pros, even shorter with the short irons and wedges, which I don't hit very 'fully'.

Good luck timbertoes! How much extra do you need?

about......

100 yards. probably! hehe. I dont know, it was replaced with a 4H.
Have a 3H CFT Hogan also.
Looks like I will be carrying some extra clubs to the range.
I recall last year, a few - few times, the ball bounced around the 180 yds with the 3i. Most of the time, IIRC, it just killed worms and insects.

All I know, is I watched those shots, and thought.... I have a LONG ways to go for the Senior Open...

about......

100 yards. probably! hehe. I dont know, it was replaced with a 4H.
Have a 3H CFT Hogan also.
Looks like I will be carrying some extra clubs to the range.
I recall last year, a few - few times, the ball bounced around the 180 yds with the 3i. Most of the time, IIRC, it just killed worms and insects.

All I know, is I watched those shots, and thought.... I have a LONG ways to go for the Senior Open...

Well, if you can carry it 180 it might roll to 210!

If you want to try and gain 30 yards carry, I would say: Don't! .....

...... followed by ....... But don't listen to me! & Have fun! :thumb:

Let us know how it goes!

Right now according to golf digest 66% of all club sets sold in the US do not have a 3i. I would be surprised if more than half the players on the PGA tour carried anything bigger than a 4i on a regular basis. The pros will pick clubs based on reasons that are not obvious. It might just be a single tee shot on one of the par 3s that fits their 3i distance perfectly. I will practice with a 1 iron from time to time just to benchmark my swing, it is a good test.

Those Pro boyz humble a guy faster than you can say jiminy whipcrack!

not to mention the kind of "flex" (or lack of) they likely have in those irons.

While it's a noble effort, you'd do well to pursue hitting your hybrid that far.

I hit my 3H right about 200, on a slight downhill or a tailwind I can carry it a good bit further.

ya tiger hit 6i from 215ish today.....and sergio 6i on the 221 par 3(but i dont know how long it was playing....but if you go to a tournament you realize that only two things seperate good amatuers from touring pros, 1. Short Game 2. Consistency

most players hit their irons the same distance as us (via "Whats In The Bag" magazine article)

my 3i off a tee goes 210ish but i dont carry it cause it goes terrible from the deck :D

but if you go to a tournament you realize that only two things seperate good amatuers from touring pros, 1. Short Game 2. Consistency

most players hit their irons the same distance as us (via "Whats In The Bag" magazine article)

I think you are wrong on both of these thoughts, the pro's are better in every way shape & form. And they hit their irons further than most of us could ever hope for.

I think you are wrong on both of these thoughts, the pro's are better in every way shape & form. And they hit their irons further than most of us could ever hope for.

I'm not so sure about that.

This past June, I went to a practice round at the U.S.Open and this was the very first time I had ever had the opportunity to see pros "up close". Many people have told me over the years that if I ever had a chance to see the pros in person, that I'd be blown away by their distances.

But that wasn't what impressed me.

What impressed me were three things:

1. Their accuracy
  2. Their consistency
  3. Their tempo.

Of those three things, it was the tempo that actually blew me away.

Almost to the man, every single player I saw had virtually the same tempo. No one was coming out of their shoes to hit a shot and yet they all struck the ball very cleanly and very forcefully.

As far as distance was concerned, with the exception of a few of the really big hitters, I wasn't that overly impressed with distance. This was especially relevant to me because of where the Open was being played. I have played hundreds of rounds of golf on Bethpage Black from every tee they have and I know every inch of that course and every yardage.
Besides, "Tour" iron distance is more about de-lofting and "pre-bottom" contact than anything superhuman. Put that skill together with the tempo's I saw and the distance is academic.

Please don't think I'm patting myself on the back or comparing my game to that of the PGA players, but the places they were putting their tee shots were the same places that I generally put mine and I remember thinking to myself that I was not far off in terms of that category.

For example, I watched some pro tee off on 6 which is a shortish par 4 that usually only requires an iron or small fairway wood off the tee to set up the approach. The pro hit a 4 or 5-iron and placed his shot about 20 yards short of the hill which separates the front and back portions of this hole and it's the ideal spot to hit to. The distance to that point is only around 220 or so, yet there were some male patrons in their 50's who were giggling like school girls at the notion of a 220-yard 4 or 5 iron. I don't see that as a big deal - especially off a tee. Especially from THAT tee. I've hit that tee shot myself many times and with the same clubs.

As I said, the idea that these guys can hit that same shot to the same spot time after time and that they produce that shot with what almost appears to be a lazy swing is what really impresses me - far more than distance. I used to joke with people over the years that the only difference between a good amateur and a Tour pro is about 3,000 balls a week and based on what I saw that day at Bethpage, I'm not so sure that's actually a joke.

To be sure, there's a lot more to competing on a PGA level than consistently hitting a ball to a certain spot, but that has more to do with a person's mental toughness and course management acumen than anything else. I walked away from that day with a new way of looking at swing tempo and swing mechanics, but I wasn't blown away by their distance - I was more encouraged by it than anything else.

-JP

I realize that no one on here will believe me but that is about what I carry mine at right now. Granted my clubs are 1" long and very upright. According to my recent fitting the 3i should be my 210-220 (not all air carry, roll included depending on type of shot) club. I have carried 225, but that was down wind AND hill, from a tee and I swung for the fences and got EXTREMELY fortunate that I actually connected square.

Longish par 3's I actually prefer to fade/cut a 2 iron in with a high trajectory/tee and two hop stop it close or grip down on my 3 wood and do a 3/4 swing low shot that hits the front frog-hair/lip and rolls onto the green somewhere.

I have given up on hybrids, I can NOT get them to be consistent, for some reason. I want to hit it like a wood and it just hooks too much or has a very unusual reverse draw thingy. It's a bananna slice that goes waaaaay out to the left and curls tightly back even/little past my line or aiming point. Looks awFUL! So the knock off Hogan Apex Plus 2i (s400 DG) stays in the bag. Thus I am looking at the MP Fli Hi's right now. Though I have yet to try a hybrid with a steel shaft so that might be the problem maybe?

And to just play devil's advocate to Dyna, some (not all) pro's also have very drastically lowered lofts. Also when I was at the Torrey Pines (? might have been called something else) Invite back in 98 or 99 (can't remember when right now :D ) a good portion of the field there did not hit insanely more club, I would say alot were 1-1 1/2 club longer and some were actually pretty normal.

Albeit some of these guys might not have been in the top 100 or could have been amy's for all I knew seeing as I was just a baby faced middle schooler!

I'm not so sure about that.

This past June, I went to a practice round at the U.S.Open and this was the very first time I had ever had the opportunity to see pros "up close". Many people have told me over the years that if I ever had a chance to see the pros in person, that I'd be blown away by their distances.

But that wasn't what impressed me.

What impressed me were three things:

1. Their accuracy
  2. Their consistency
  3. Their tempo.

Of those three things, it was the tempo that actually blew me away.

Almost to the man, every single player I saw had virtually the same tempo. No one was coming out of their shoes to hit a shot and yet they all struck the ball very cleanly and very forcefully.

As far as distance was concerned, with the exception of a few of the really big hitters, I wasn't that overly impressed with distance. This was especially relevant to me because of where the Open was being played. I have played hundreds of rounds of golf on Bethpage Black from every tee they have and I know every inch of that course and every yardage.
Besides, "Tour" iron distance is more about de-lofting and "pre-bottom" contact than anything superhuman. Put that skill together with the tempo's I saw and the distance is academic.

Please don't think I'm patting myself on the back or comparing my game to that of the PGA players, but the places they were putting their tee shots were the same places that I generally put mine and I remember thinking to myself that I was not far off in terms of that category.

For example, I watched some pro tee off on 6 which is a shortish par 4 that usually only requires an iron or small fairway wood off the tee to set up the approach. The pro hit a 4 or 5-iron and placed his shot about 20 yards short of the hill which separates the front and back portions of this hole and it's the ideal spot to hit to. The distance to that point is only around 220 or so, yet there were some male patrons in their 50's who were giggling like school girls at the notion of a 220-yard 4 or 5 iron. I don't see that as a big deal - especially off a tee. Especially from THAT tee. I've hit that tee shot myself many times and with the same clubs.

As I said, the idea that these guys can hit that same shot to the same spot time after time and that they produce that shot with what almost appears to be a lazy swing is what really impresses me - far more than distance. I used to joke with people over the years that the only difference between a good amateur and a Tour pro is about 3,000 balls a week and based on what I saw that day at Bethpage, I'm not so sure that's actually a joke.

To be sure, there's a lot more to competing on a PGA level than consistently hitting a ball to a certain spot, but that has more to do with a person's mental toughness and course management acumen than anything else. I walked away from that day with a new way of looking at swing tempo and swing mechanics, but I wasn't blown away by their distance - I was more encouraged by it than anything else.

-JP

First off the difference between a good amateur and a Tour pro is more than 3000 balls a week. The fact that someone could actually consider that anything other than a joke says a lot. The mental makeup, integrity, will, heart, and natural ability, make up a lot more than people hting.

You talk about the pro distances as they hit their irons off a tee on the short par 4. What about using driver off the tee?

you said "but the places they were putting their tee shots were the same places that I generally put mine and I remember thinking to myself that I was not far off in terms of that category."

The driving averages at Bethpage US Opens are simply ridiculous and pro after pro were teeing off and most were going in the 290 + range. With over 40 players putting them over 300 routinely. I just want to make sure you were seeing the same thing and you were speaking of the same distances that occurred..

He said...

distance did not impress as much as accuracy. Accuracy, ie 290 yards to the spot they wanted.

Same with the 3i @210 yards. It was on the green. That was the most impressive part.

What the A%^$# is the deal with picking apart every one of JP's posts anyway?

Popcorn is not that great of a food.

Same with the 3i @210 yards. It was on the green. That was the most impressive part.

For a pro 210 yds with a 3iron is a chip shot. They can sure as hell blast it a lot further & still be accurate.

I don't understand how a single person on this forum could attempt in any way shape or form to begin to compare their game with a pro's.

He said...

distance did not impress as much as accuracy. Accuracy, ie 290 yards to the spot they wanted.

What the A%^$# is the deal with picking apart every one of JP's posts anyway?

Popcorn is not that great of a food.

Nobody is picking apart the same peoples posts. However someone saying that they hit it as far as the tour pros is one thing and that the difference between good amateurs and tour pros is simply 3000 balls a week is not really fair to the players that dedicate their lives to making themselves better and good enough to compete each week.

However forums are about debate and conversation and when someone compares their own distance to that of the Tour players, you have to expect that a few people are going to atleast say "huh"? Regardless of the validity of it.

For a pro 210 yds with a 3iron is a chip shot. They can sure as hell blast it a lot further & still be accurate.

I don't understand how a single person on this forum could attempt in any way shape or form to begin to compare their game with a pro's.

Well said.

BTW, if the only difference were 3,000 balls a week, don't you think a fair number of us would be hitting that many & in turn making millions of $$ on tour?

Back