ulle73

Reaction score
Handicap
im using the reverse putting grip. Now when chipping and using the regular grip, it feels so weird, and i cant keep my hand straight, often break them so the ball goes to the right.

So my question is, all you reverse-putters out there, do you play your short chip shots with the regular grip? or reverse?

I have no experience myself, but I played 9 holes with my local courses PGA teaching pro and he putts with the reverse grip and chips normal.

im using the reverse putting grip. Now when chipping and using the regular grip, it feels so weird, and i cant keep my hand straight, often break them so the ball goes to the right.

So my question is, all you reverse-putters out there, do you play your short chip shots with the regular grip? or reverse?

I went through a similar experience as you and the only thing that helped me was a lot of practice. If you have the time, practicing those shots is invaluable. I ended up going back to a "regular" putting grip and haven't looked back. I'm sure you will get some better advice from more knowledgeable players here but I wish you the best of luck.

Last edited:
I use a left hand low on my short chips, 20 ft or less. Make very nice contact and the ball always lands softly, and like the putting stroke everything seems to stay aligned. Just my 2 cents.

The only time I go reverse grip with my chips is when I'm try to get the ball to roll as if it was putt. The toe is down and I have a long iron in hand. The goal is to just get a little hop over the fringe and the ball rolls out like a putt.

Everything else in my chipping game is regular grip.

thanks alot for all feedback !! you guys who use the reverse grip on chips som time, do you try to take the ball exactly like a putt, or hitting more down on it?

I now use a reverse grip for my putting but I still use my normal grip for my chipping around the green. Although, my normal grip is slightly modified for chipping. Instead of gripping the club with my fingers more (showing two knuckles on my top hand - left), I actually grip the club more with my palms when chipping - kinda like you should when putting with the "normal grip".

EDIT: I just realized this was my 1000th post! :banana:

I now use a reverse grip for my putting but I still use my normal grip for my chipping around the green. Although, my normal grip is slightly modified for chipping. Instead of gripping the club with my fingers more (showing two knuckles on my top hand - left), I actually grip the club more with my palms when chipping - kinda like you should when putting with the "normal grip".

EDIT: I just realized this was my 1000th post! :banana:

yeah! i saw a video on that yesterday, will for sure try that! Its sooo frustrating, hit 13/14 FW last 18, and 15/18 greens, but just lost my chipping completely....

Back