At what distance do you begin to pin hunt

rollin

"Just playin golf pally"
Reaction score
Handicap
I know a lot depends on ones overall ability, pin locations, and your angle of approach, and there will always be circumstances that dismiss any sort of general rule you might follow. I also understand greens sloping etc plays its role. But still I was wondering when do you feel (distance wise) that aiming for the flag (getting close as possible) is what you should be doing even when there is danger that your dispersion of left, right, short, long could be penalizing?

For me I would say I have like 3 different (yet graduating) distances which change my approach ideas. I'd say about 90 and under is generally when I try to get pretty close. Anything over 90ish to about 130/140 I aim to perhaps favor the pin area(or side) of the green a bit while not really pin hunting and tryng to keep it safe with allowing some room for error. Over 140 and out its going to be a center green aiming as for left/right and with almost always looking for a front to mid green distance.

So in general at what distance do you begin to pin hunt even when (not very high but) reasonable risk is involved? Of course there are those (and imo something too many mid and especially high cappers need to eventually learn) where its always a pin hunt regardless. Took me years before I learned its better to be on than in trouble due to dispersion. But still there are distances where I feel if I am to be a better player that an approach should be made close as possible. The better we get, of course the further away that distance may become.

Last edited:
Pretty similar. 120 and in, I would aim to be pretty close, 120-150 a quadrant, 150+ - safest area.

Pretty similar. 120 and in, I would aim to be pretty close, 120-150 a quadrant, 150+ - safest area.

Same, however when playing by myself and maybe playing two balls that hunt distance is greatly increased. In practice rounds I try to follow the school of aim small, miss small. Or in my case, raise risk, find hazard.

8i and in, if the pin is located favorable maybe 7i. Makes it 140-ish meters and in. :)

I'm pretty confident once I have my 7 iron and less in my hands, as long as the pin is in a "green light" position.

140 (9 iron for me) and in.

I guess I pin hunt from inside 140 yds - my 9 iron. I have been fortunate at times with longer irons, but not consistently. And I have been unfortunate with wedges, so maybe it all evens out.

If I have a club in my hand that can reach the a green, I'm trying to get as close as possible every time.

When I'm next to the green trying to get up and down for par .

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

150 which is an easy 7 iron for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If I have a club in my hand that can reach the a green, I'm trying to get as close as possible every time.
This...not reality for me but fun thoughts

I have best results from 130 and in, but as I have gained accuracy and consistency with the mid-irons I go for pins more up to about 7i, 175ish. After that I am mostly thinking middle of green and where is my likely miss going to leave me.

This...not reality for me but fun thoughts

If you can hit the shots then why not. The object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible

If you can hit the shots then why not. The object of the game is to get the ball in the hole in as few strokes as possible
With your help (unknowingly by you haha) and local Asian guidance...I'm getting there.

When I'm on the green, usually when I'm within 12". I green seek from 120 yards in.

From inside 60 yds.

120 is probably when I start to really attack flags

I can't remember where I read this or saw this but it was to the effect of anyone with a handicap of more than 8 should always aim for the middle of the green. Something about up and down % vs putting % sabermetrics type crap. U can see I really listen well. It does make a little sense to me, though how much I'm not sure.

To answer the question I always go after the pin unless there is a water hazard or OB on that side

If I can reach the green I'm going at the pin.

Any wedge I am aiming at the pin. From the fairway I am more or less going at the pin from 160 in. The ball will stop where it lands so why not. From the rough at 125-160 lie dependent but I will go towards the pin but leave some room for the ball to release. 160-200 I will more often aim the exact distance but might work the ball towards pins cut close to left edge right edge. Outside 200 I am aiming 5 yards short of pin to the middle when it is dry, I can get 5 wood to stop in a few feet if it is wet though. Doesn't always work but at the courses I play there isn't much reason to play away from a pin since I can stop the ball where it lands. Would be cool to play a place like Augusta or a crazy sloping links course and use the slopes to get close.

I don't worry about downhill putts until it gets like 10+ stimp or some crazy course like sleepy hollow that has absurd slopes.

I suppose in the end it really depends on ones ability to minimize dispersion. If with 7,8,9 irons I am just not there yet and need to consider my dispersion. id rather be on and lag putting vs in some heavy rough an a steep slope or whatever.

I can't remember where I read this or saw this but it was to the effect of anyone with a handicap of more than 8 should always aim for the middle of the green. Something about up and down % vs putting % sabermetrics type crap. U can see I really listen well. It does make a little sense to me, though how much I'm not sure.

To answer the question I always go after the pin unless there is a water hazard or OB on that side
Way over simplified I think. You need to know your dispersion pattern at each distance to truly find your optimal target.

Anything twenty yards or closer

Unless there is a major penalty on one side or the other I pretty much aim at the pin from 150 on in. Doesn't always work but that's the goal!!

Back