The snowstorm of 12/19: how bad?

Smallville

#ICanHitADraw
Reaction score
Handicap
In Flux
This is mainly for our members on the east coast but anyone else in the path of it. How much snow got dumped at your house this past weekend?

Was it just snow that was the problem or was there ice too? (Freezing rain or something before the snow got there?)

Last edited:
we got around 10'' here in asheville. trust me, the city nor the dot was prepared. we're on day 4 of not getting out of the house.

We only got 6 inches of snow.

A foot or so. Very light, dry, and fluffy--the kids complained that it wasn'[t good sledding snow. At least there was all day Sunday for it to get cleaned up.

The ice is mostly a result of the sun melting the snow and then things re-freezing.

We got 26-inches.

All I can say is, "Thank God I own a Bobcat!"

Looks really cool though!

-JP

we got about about 6 inches in the foothills of North Carolina. Icy and wet snow. Still on the ground but the roads are finally free of any major ice.

I was thinking more along the lines of getting the ice before the snow, like freezing rain or something.

I know D.C. got hit hard because all federal offices are closed there today.

We got close to 24" from what I heard. All I know is how sore I am from digging out 3 times. And having to dig a potty in the back yard for frick and frack, the 2 dogs.

We got close to 24" from what I heard. All I know is how sore I am from digging out 3 times. And having to dig a potty in the back yard for frick and frack, the 2 dogs.

I don't miss that at all...

...I just installed a higher grade of window tint because the car was getting too hot...:D

1/2" to maybe an 1" that's all. Not nearly the 6" they were calling for in the area. No ice either which made things nice.

24" and I have the sore back to prove it

We got about 6" here. We do appreciate our friends to the south doing their best to keep as much of the white stuff as possible before sending the storm north.

Now my wife will be saying "look what you went and did with your smart mouth" when we get our next storm.

I know D.C. got hit hard because all federal offices are closed there today.

I used to love that--a snow day and you didn't have to make it up in June.

Did any of you with the big snows lose power at all?

Did any of you with the big snows lose power at all?

what constitutes a "big" snow smalls? 10'' here is massive. we lost power friday night but thankfully i don't live to far from the substation and have had power ever since. the mother in law was without for 3 days (i couldn't go pick her up either.......damn!)

We're staying in Whiting, NJ till March (house being built in Barnegat, NJ). We got 24+". I know this because the height of my snowblower is 22", and the snow was at least 3-4" above that - some drifts were 12" higher.

We are staying in a 55+ adult community right now, and our 3 closest neighbors are ladies over 85 years old. They were "shut in" from Saturday afternoon, all day Sunday, till early Monday, when a plow opened up a narrow stretch through their driveway - hardly wide enough to fit a car - yes they still drive (scary) but that would be a good topic for another thread.

Thankfully my snowblower started (had to put air in one of the tires that probably went flat after being jostled during the move here) and I was able to clear my driveway and sidewalk yesterday, Sunday. This morning I cleared maybe an extra 2' on our neighbors' driveways. Not much, but every little bit helps.

Neither the town, nor the retirement community maintenance crews were prepared for this much snow! But we never lost power.

We are more likely to lose power from wind than from ice. Which isn't to say ice is any fun. Of course, if we were to be snowed in now, we could survive for weeks on Christmas cookies and eggnog. :party:

My girlfriend's family lives in D.C. and they got about 18" of snow. The whole city pretty much shut down and its not expected that the streets will all be cleared and life will get back until normal until X-Mas day at the earliest.
Unlike in the upper midwest where things might shut down for a day and then life gets back to normal, Ive been told that in their neck of the woods that snow like that is a pretty big problem because they simply arent equipped to handle it, so everything just shuts down.

My girlfriend's family lives in D.C. and they got about 18" of snow. The whole city pretty much shut down and its not expected that the streets will all be cleared and life will get back until normal until X-Mas day at the earliest.

D.C.'s snow removal system has always been, "It'll melt." That works from mid-February on, but not so well this time of year.

My girlfriend's family lives in D.C. and they got about 18" of snow.

Bucky - I can't remember where you posted, but how was your trip to visit your girlfriend's family? Did you get to the beach?

Back