Contest - THP & Callaway Celebrating Phil's Win

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Yesterday Phil Mickelson won and to celebrate his victory THP & Callaway Golf are having a HUGE contest. For those that missed the finish, Mickelson, on the first playoff hole, used the Callaway Mack Daddy 2 wedge to put it close enough for a tap in birdie to win the tournament. THP & Callaway want you (lots of you) to be able to pull that shot off too. SEVENTEEN (yes you read that right) winners to celebrate the winning score at the Scottish Open.

The Prize
Each winner will receive a brand new Callaway Mack Daddy 2 wedge. Pictured above.

DSC_0420-L.jpg

Rules
One entry only per participant.
To enter, follow the steps below.
This contest is open to any THP Forum Member that would like to participate.
The winners will be randomly drawn.
The deadline of this contest is Friday July 19th, 2013 at 2pm EST. All entries must be received by then to be considered.

Entering
You enter the contest two ways.
Step 1 – Leave a comment in this thread about how these wedges helped Phil Mickelson win the tournament. Please also include your Twitter handle.

AND

Step 2 – On Twitter, follow both @CallawayGolf & @hackersparadise. Then, send out a tweet using both @hackersparadise & @CallawayGolf on why the MD2 wedges would help your golf game.

THP will announce the winners of the contest on the THP Forum at the conclusion. Cost of shipping the prize is covered for THP Albatross Club Members. Not a member and want to sign up, click here.

If you are not a forum member but would like to sign up, click the registration button at the top of the screen. Registration is always fast, free, and easy.

Good luck everybody.

Winners
Just_Hacking
bhilton
Texasbrons
jhstew1
T0AD
jdtox
troyefl
Scarnici
fupresti
Nappy
TyJohnston
Mward
Mercer85
ranchonodinero
mudfish
cpljohnst
treyking507

Last edited:
Holy crap. 17 is huge!

HOLY CRAP....17 winners....well done Callaway and THP!

Hop, stop, tap in victory. That's how you win in the clutch. I want to be clutch like Phil

@jjblugold

Phil absolutely dominated over the weekend. Without this wedge, he wouldn't have gotten out a lot of tough situations. This wedge should be prized and cherished.

17 wedges?!?!? That is incredible!! Thanks THP and Callaway!!!

Phil's shot on 17 was incredible. His wedge play has always been one of, if not the very best in the game and he had it on full display at the Scottish Open. To see him getting better in his wedge game is scarey. He will have even more confidence in that short game going forward.

@Just_Hacking

I have been following the Mack Daddy 2 release like a hawk: watched all of the wedgeducation videos and watched all of the google hangouts that Roger Cleveland did with various sites. It is clear that there are quite a few things about the MD2 wedges that allowed Phil to hit such an incredible shot

1) He was in one of the worst lies you could have for a pitch shot: matted down grass/hardpan. I mean, Phil was basically hitting off a cart path. The grind on his 60* MD2 allowed Phil to get the leading edge of the wedge under the ball, make face-first contact and get the ball in the air as quick as possible. Without the superior grind of the MD2, Phil could have skulled it right over the green.

2) It was a miracle that Phil was somehow able to generate spin on this shot. Well, not really if you read about the MD2 grooves, the laser milling and the rough face of the Mack Daddy 2 wedge. The combination of technology in the face of the MD2 allowed Phil to be aggressive and hit a one-hop-stop shot where most golfers would never even dream of trying to spin the ball there. Hell, even the tv announcer, prior to the shot, said that Phil was going to land it on the ridge and let it roll down to the hole. We all know what happened next!

The tech in the face of the wedge, combined with the superior sole grind, gave Phil the confidence to attack the pin with his 60 degree wedge, and everyone knows that confidence before a shot is vital.

https://twitter.com/jlukes/status/356778557340528642
Joe Lukes@jlukesnow
@hackersparadise The Mack Daddy 2 wedge from @CallawayGolf would give me the confidence to attack the pin no matter what the lie #ohitspins

Expand

Lefties short game completely saved him. He was able to shorten his putts with his spectacular ball placement and spin/feel on the greens.

This place amazes me more and more every day. You start trying to figure out what they are going to do next, only to be completely shocked that they've outdone your expectations.

Phil dominated with the wedge at the Scottish Open. Phil hasn't always been one of the best putters out there, but when you can stick a wedge to almost gimme range, who needs to worry about putting? Hope he can do it again next weekend.

@hiltongolfer

Lord knows, Mickelson is a great short-game player, but with the new Mack Daddy wedge in his bag, it was never more evident of just how well they served him than on that wedge-to-tap-in. I'm sure more Tour players will be adding them to their bags after seeing the action on that shot!

@pkieldog

It is really awesome of Callaway and THP to hand out 17 of these bad boys. Hey, 17, that is my number!

I just got home in time to tune in right before Phil's shot and that is all I needed to see. That was an amazing shot with the MD2 from such a tight lie, up the hill and getting it to spin back to inside 4 inches. WOW! I'd love to be able to replicate that shot with the MD2.
@wluker17

Last edited:
This wedge helped Phil by allowing him to give his ball the perfect flight, (path, height, trajectory, and spin) to place the ball on the green for an easy hole out. The 5V and micro-groove design obviously played a large role on all of those aspects to work in concert with Phil's magical skill set around the green to pull this shot off!! Making a shot like this out of the a bad spot takes skill AND confidence. The wedge may not be able to give you the skill, but the technology CAN help you build confidence and overcome some of the lack of skill. When you are confident with your equipment, you'll be confident with your shot choices.

@Texasbrons

Last edited:
17 winners?!!!!!

Watched the entire final round and let's just say Phil didn't get off to the best start. Time and time again though he got up and down from difficult areas to either save par or even bogey. Later on in the round Phil and the MD2's were on full display as Phil made a charge to get into a playoff. The win was then locked down with an amazing shot with his MD2. Without the MD2's, Phil wouldn't have won his first European Tour event.

@rennehan

All you can do is shake your head and laugh sometimes. Just when you think THP can't come up with something more awesome, they do. 17 winners? Haha AMAZING!

1) That shot in the playoff was one of the most amazing shots I have seen in a long time. To get the ball to not only stop but spin back from that lie and on that green was just amazing. Even the announcer said, that was probably the 1 shot all week he had seen someone draw back. Not only was the shot amazing but under the circumstances of being in a playoff with that pressure. Phil must have alot of confidence in these wedges to even attempt that shot.

2) @DevRickus

Thank you THP and Callaway once again for being amazing.

Incredible.....just incredible.

Never cease to amaze me. Awesome opportunity!

Wow, what an opportunity!!

With the prcision of a surgeon, Phil used the finely crafted Mack Daddy 2 as his scalpel to carve his fate into the Scottish Open history books. results like that only come when using the finest tools in golf!

@rdutellejr on Twitter

Phil's short game is the best and these mack daddy 2 wedges made it even better.

@THFCjustin

The MD2 wedges are by far the best to have hit the tour and golf market. With the satisfaction guarantee by Mr. Roger Cleveland, anyone playing these wedges are just about guaranteed to improve their short game consistency. The Grandaddy of the short game, Phil Mickelson has a high demand when it comes to anything with wedges. He trust the MacDaddy 2 wedges because of its proven performance and consistency. If it wasn't for his 64 degree MD2 wedge on the final round in a playoff of the Scottish Open, theirs a chance he might have come up short with a win. He got the ball onto the green and it had beautiful spin that put the ball within 2 feet of the hole. BOOM! He putted, grace missed his putt and Phil was the 2013 Scottish Open champ! If it wasn't for the MD2 I believe Phil might have walked away in 2nd place.

@MJM010

Thank You so much to the best in the world THP & Callaway golf for yet again putting on an incredibly amazing contest. Congrats Phil!

Phil is truly a magician! Time and time again he shows us why he is a champion. This time, thanks to his wedge game, he was able to get up and down on numerous occasions to secure the victory!

@golf3rguy

Callaway is just killing it this year with marketing and contests. Those 17 lucky THPers that take home a wedge will certainly see their game improved.

To be able to manipulate both the trajectory and spin on shots around the green is paramount, and even more important when playing across the pond in those windy conditions. Having your ball on a leash is the difference between winning and losing. With the full customizability and unique groove pattern, Phil was able to envision the shots that he wanted to hit, and make them happen with the flick of a clubhead.

twitter handle: corydotcom16

@zenger419

Callaway brings is again. This company understands!

The most important club in Phils bag is his 60° and up. It takes a certain amount of inspired confidence for the one of the greatest short game wizards to swap wedges, but Roger Cleveland and Callaway do it time and again. The wedge must inspire shotmaking ability, confidence, and provide him with a soft touch around the greens to pull of magnificence like we see in this video above.

Back