The Official Rory McIlroy Thread

Rory can being a league of his own at times. If he can add some consistency he could pull off double digit wins in a year

Completely agree dude. And that's where I think he's the closest to Tiger we'll see. Because Rory has the ability to win tournaments with his B game like Tiger did. And when he brings the A game, just forget it.

All with Nike clubs no less! He's already playing with a handicap :alien:

Jeebus -

Sure, that's impressive. But let's see him do that with my swing!

So Chamblee says Rory needs to watch his workouts: “I say it with a lot of trepidation, because it’s a different era for sure,” Chamblee said, “and I don’t know the full extent of what he’s doing, but when I see the things he’s doing in the gym, I think of what happened to Tiger Woods. And I think more than anything of what Tiger Woods did early in his career with his game was just an example of how good a human being can be, what he did towards the middle and end of his career is an example to be wary of. That’s just my opinion. And it does give me a little concern when I see the extensive weightlifting that Rory is doing in the gym.”

Rory's response:

So Chamblee says Rory needs to watch his workouts: “I say it with a lot of trepidation, because it’s a different era for sure,” Chamblee said, “and I don’t know the full extent of what he’s doing, but when I see the things he’s doing in the gym, I think of what happened to Tiger Woods. And I think more than anything of what Tiger Woods did early in his career with his game was just an example of how good a human being can be, what he did towards the middle and end of his career is an example to be wary of. That’s just my opinion. And it does give me a little concern when I see the extensive weightlifting that Rory is doing in the gym.”

Rory's response:

I'm glad Rory fired back. Chamblee is such a dink IMO. I feel like the golf channel pays him to be their version of Skip Bayless. It just seems like he's the one always saying the dumbest stuff.

I'm glad Rory fired back. Chamblee is such a dink IMO. I feel like the golf channel pays him to be their version of Skip Bayless. It just seems like he's the one always saying the dumbest stuff.

I like him better than Bayless, but yeah, I'm sure they want him to poke at some of the guys to get some clicks. Loved the response.

I like him better than Bayless, but yeah, I'm sure they want him to poke at some of the guys to get some clicks. Loved the response.
Yeah calling him Bayless is a bit over the top by me for sure but I agree. He seems to poke where no one else does. And like we both said. Glad Rory stuck up for himself.

I think he might have a point. But only time will tell.

I'm looking forward to seeing how he does this week! Good on him for firing back at Chamblee, too.

Chamblee is a douche. What Rory is doing is strength training in that video. Not knowing all of Rory's workouts can't comment if he is doing anything to crazy but based on previous pics of his workouts is nothing I would consider to be an issue. Rory has some degenerative issue around his spine and I would imagine his doctor and trainer wouldn't let him do anything to further hurt himself.

Based on what Hank wrote about Tiger was doing some serious training and added the seal training while wearing combat boots. Seal training is no joke and when done with boots takes an effect on a persons body. No swing expert here but what tiger was doing in his swing are also part of his issues where I don't see those same issues in Rory's swing.

Tiger was lots of upper body work, his body looked out of balance. Rory is lots of compound lifts like power cleans and squats which work the core and legs. You can see from the video his physique is strong not muscular. I would think it would benefit him more than anything to have a solid core.

Chamblee is a douche. What Rory is doing is strength training in that video. Not knowing all of Rory's workouts can't comment if he is doing anything to crazy but based on previous pics of his workouts is nothing I would consider to be an issue. Rory has some degenerative issue around his spine and I would imagine his doctor and trainer wouldn't let him do anything to further hurt himself.

Based on what Hank wrote about Tiger was doing some serious training and added the seal training while wearing combat boots. Seal training is no joke and when done with boots takes an effect on a persons body. No swing expert here but what tiger was doing in his swing are also part of his issues where I don't see those same issues in Rory's swing.

100% Agree, well said!

If anything, I would think he learned more what NOT to do when it comes to workouts from Tiger. As long as he's not bulking up too much weight training should only help him. And he's 165? There'd be cause for concern if his neck disappeared, but that's far from the case.

Agreed, any pro that fires back at him is ok in my book!

Rory has also already come out and said he has some degenerative condition with his back, and he wanted to get in shape to fight it didn't he? Not really sure the problem. He hasn't gotten big, he's toned up, I think there is a big difference. Tiger worked out to get big. Tiger also has/had a much much more violent swing. Rory seems much more in control and doesn't seem like he's putting the same stress and strain on his body that Tiger did over the years. Watching Tiger I know I said numerous times growing up that you can tell he's going to break his body down doing it that way, and that's exactly what he did. There's a reason Fred Couples can still play with the same swing to this day.

There's a reason Fred Couples can still play with the same swing to this day.

Didn't Couples almost have to quit the game because of severe back issues? I think he got special treatment in Europe that they don't even offer in the US.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Didn't Couples almost have to quit the game because of severe back issues? I think he got special treatment in Europe that they don't even offer in the US.

Back injuries are very common, but after he recovered he still swings the same way. Tiger can't.

Oh that swing!

Back injuries are very common, but after he recovered he still swings the same way. Tiger can't.
I agree, but his was almost career ending from what I read. His swing is still one of the best to watch ever.

I agree, but his was almost career ending from what I read. His swing is still one of the best to watch ever.

ok maybe he's not the best example haha. I was just trying to think of smooth swingers and kinda forgot about his whole back thing. Maybe Ernie Els?

Tiger was lots of upper body work, his body looked out of balance. Rory is lots of compound lifts like power cleans and squats which work the core and legs. You can see from the video his physique is strong not muscular. I would think it would benefit him more than anything to have a solid core.

I kind of chuckle at the idea of a "strong core". A person with a 300 squat has a stronger core than somebody who only does planks. The "core" is one of the most misunderstood and abused areas of the body.

He did somewhat stop playing as much. He did go to Germany iirc for the treatment and several other athletes or golfers have gone through it as well. I think he still suffers but not to the extent it was.

Rory's response:

This response is even better!

I kind of chuckle at the idea of a "strong core". A person with a 300 squat has a stronger core than somebody who only does planks. The "core" is one of the most misunderstood and abused areas of the body.
That's what I was implying. Squats would benefit him more than hurt him due to all the supporting muscles used and the stability it brings.

That's what I was implying. Squats would benefit him more than hurt him due to all the supporting muscles used and the stability it brings.

We are in full agreement.

Back