What's more important to you?

2nd. Rarely does a good drive doesn't give you a birdie putt but almost always a good 2nd shot leaves you with a birdie putt.

A good drive sets the table for a quality second shot so you can have birdie. In Atlanta I just missed FWs by a foot and was looking at scrambling or par all day. No birdies in sight. In the FW I would have been able to attack all day.

A good drive sets the table for a quality second shot so you can have birdie. In Atlanta I just missed FWs by a foot and was looking at scrambling or par all day. No birdies in sight. In the FW I would have been able to attack all day.
To be fair, that rough was just stupid tough to play out of.

Ive never hit a lot of fairways, but I have hit good shots from the rough to make birdies. Ive chunked drives and hit 3 irons to 6 feet. Ive smashed a drive down there to 120 yards and made double.

To me, its all about iron play.

Ive never hit a lot of fairways, but I have hit good shots from the rough to make birdies. Ive chunked drives and hit 3 irons to 6 feet. Ive smashed a drive down there to 120 yards and made double.

To me, its all about iron play.

Sounds like you need to work on those short irons....hehe :D

Definitely good 2nd shot. Nothing like sticking one on the green and watching your buddies heads drop in envy...

I think this question I proposed is also related to the holders scrambling skills as well. I consider myself a good scrambler and it shows on my second or even third shots.

All I am saying is that you can make birdies after poor drives. More birdies are made after poor drives than poor 2nd shots, imo.

As a new player the drives are more important to me. I have had a lot more penalty strokes off my drive than my second shot, a bad drive leaves me hitting three or in very poor position to go for the green. Most of my bad second shots after a good drive still leaves me with a wedge into the green on my third. As I continue to get bad and my bad drives get less off the beaten path I assume my position will change.

All I am saying is that you can make birdies after poor drives. More birdies are made after poor drives than poor 2nd shots, imo.

I would be extremely surprised if anybody said that making birdie from the rough was easier than making birdie from the fairway.

The whole question is just a matter of what constitutes a bad shot for someone. Is that bad tee-shot hitting it OB or in the trees? Or is hitting a bad tee shot leaving you just off the fairway in the rough? Same goes for 2nd shot. Does hitting a bad 2nd shot mean you don't hit the green? Or does it mean you hit the green, but are on the opposite side of the pin?

Personally I think the drive completely sets the tone for each hole you play. If you pipe a great drive 280-300 right down the middle of the fairway, your confidence of making par or better is a lot better than if you spray your drive 280-300 5-10 yards off the fairway.

The great thing about golf is there is more than one way to play it.

how many times have you ever made a bad tee shot and got a birdie. its a lot easier to hit a good second shot from the short stuff than behind a tree, in a trap, or maybe ob or water hazzard.

As my irons are quite good I'll take the good drive in the fairway everytime. Sets the hole up for scoring for me.

A good second shot.. If you can't hit a decent second shot, all the nice drives are worthless.. JMHO

This is tough. I'm going to say second shot

Can't have an attempt at a good second shot without a good first shot. The tee shot is the most important shot of the hole. Sets the tone for the hole or kills it. Give me a 300 yard drive straight up the pipe over a 15 footer for bogey any day.

Back