Club Throwing vs Cursing.. On Tour.

I think the professional game is a different story than the hacker game in this case, so I really like this thread idea.

Anger releases should never be the first resort, lets get that out of the way. You can't tomahawk the driver every time you miss a fairway. That's not good anywhere. In the amateur game I think there's really no place for this either. A bad day golfing is, and should always be, better than a good day anywhere else.

The professional game, though. We see pretty much EVERYTHING they do. They're bound to slip up, they are humans on the job after all. It definitely makes things interesting when they react. There's still no excuse for that kind of behavior, but I think the more telling thing about their situation is how they handle it in the media tent after their round. To an extent, I care a whole lot less about what they do anger-wise on the course than I care about how they handle questions about it. Some of my favorites are Stenson's no-look wedge toss and Rory's Doral toss.

Club throwing all day. Cursing not so much.

Club throwing is unprofessional. I'm not even a fan of the club drop. Half the time it ends up being a half decent shot anyway. The cursing under the breath I totally understand,

Throwing a club is way worse. The Head Coach of the Men's Basketball program at the small college where I played golf at was accidently in the cross hairs of a guy who threw a club during a FUND RAISING golf event for the college. He lost his eye because of it. Now, I don't condone either, but at least cussing won't physically hurt anyone around you.

Neither bother me, and I don't think twice about seeing or hearing it. The way I look at it is that it'd be hypocritical of me to judge a player for doing something I've done and still do occasionally. It's golf, and golf can be very frustrating, especially when there is money on the line.

Has Sergio calmed down? I remember he was pretty notorious for his outbursts. Not too often you see a guy chuck his shoe.

Yeah, he's really calmed down in the last two years. He's taken on a whole new philosophy toward the game.

But I don't know... maybe his shoe was irritating his foot and he had a foot cramp? Why else would you throw your shoe? Who knows?

I'll slam the club head if I get frustrated like chunk a shot after a good drive.

Last edited:
The club thrown in anger or beaten into the ground is far more objectionable than the occasional spontaneous utterance of a curse. On the other hand, I do not object to having a professional coolly and with all due deliberation offering up a club as a sacrifice to Neptune. As rare as these events are, I find them entertaining. I certainly do not have the financial ability to offer up any cubs to the gods of golf. However, I have been known to offer up golf balls in the hope that my next swing will be met with favor

I really don't like seeing them throw clubs, cursing just happens

Neither is good on tour.

Club toss into a pond is funny though. Loud cursing is just embarassing.

I've cussed my computer many times, but have yet to throw, toss, or slam it.
Actually threw my computer sort of this year, big Charger fan and when they lost on the last play to the Steelers at the goal line I hit the laptop off my lap, flipped three times in the air and landed fairly softly, I stand by my actions as the Chargers still where in the playoff hunt at the time.

One time I did lose at a final table of a poker tournament for a decent amount of money and took the anger out on the mouse, went outside, put the mouse down in the grass and hit a nice full wedge shot over the fence, felt very good.

Back