Cleveland Mashie Fairway Wood Review

One thing I noticed in testing was that the Baffler really excelled off of a mat. In fact, I thought I liked it better than the Mashie the first few times I hit it. It was about the 3rd or 4th ball on grass that convinced me otherwise. If I missed heavy it dug and I was up on the top of the face. There isn't much room up there on the Baffler compared to the Mashie.

I remember the bigger head on the F3 scaring me off the turf, but honestly it is so money off the deck. I cant really explain it but it just works. Gliderails FTW

One thing I noticed in testing was that the Baffler really excelled off of a mat. In fact, I thought I liked it better than the Mashie the first few times I hit it. It was about the 3rd or 4th ball on grass that convinced me otherwise. If I missed heavy it dug and I was up on the top of the face. There isn't much room up there on the Baffler compared to the Mashie.

No there isn't. I actually prefer lower profile FWs, prior to the Mashie that is. The difference off the turf is really there, but I think the Baffler is the same as most FWs out there. Plus I can hit my F5/F7 from the rough better than any FW I've owned. I generally still don't go there with the F3 except for very rare occasions. Not that the club can't pull it off, I just generally think that if I hit bad enough to be in that spot, 9 times out of 10 I should be taking my medicine instead of going for the hero shot and bringing more trouble into play.

I agree that it's a little counterintuitive. I always equated shallow with easier to get airborne from the turf.

Thanks for the replies all, appreciate it. While in theory these clubs are similar, one design is felt to outshine the other.

Definitely so. In my case, I liked some things Cobra had going on in 2012, but the Baffler T-Rail wasn't one of them.

Another good outing with the Mashies yesterday. Was a practice round so I was taking some shots where I would normally lay up.

As always the F5 & F7 were excellent. One shot in particular sticks out with the F5. Hit a terrible drive on a long par 4. After squirting through a fairway bunker, I was left with a sidehill lie, about 210 to a back right pin. Ball a good 5-6 inches below my feet. Aimed for the middle of the green and tried to swing smooth. Ball faded out just a little and left me just short of pin high on the right fringe.

Took a lot more swings with the F3 off the deck on par 5s yesterday. Even dropped a couple just to mess around. Hit a couple really great shots and a few really bad ones. I find I have to concentrate on tempo much more with this club. For some reason, when I have it in my hands, all I want to do is kill the ball. Something I can usually get away with off the tee, but off the deck I fight the tops when I swing it like that. This is unique to the F3 and is totally a mental thing for me. Something I'm definitely working on. Good news is that a topped F3 generally equals ~140 yards, so as long as I don't shank it, I'm usually still in play. I will say that I could probably game this club exclusively off the tee if I needed to. Wouldn't be shooting for par 5s in two, but I'd be serviceable on all par 4s... Having gobs of confidence in the F5 & F7 doesn't hurt either. Nice to know that I've got a shot at the green, even at distance.

Jon, you've done a great job at providing continual feedback on these fairway woods. It's much appreciated.

Jon, you've done a great job at providing continual feedback on these fairway woods. It's much appreciated.

Thanks Hawk. It's my pleasure really. I look forward to hitting these FWs, which is a first for me, and makes them easy to write about.

I'm a bit of a 3W ho, and an eternal tinkerer (who here isn't), so I could see me flirting with another 3W. However, I don't see any reason to challenge the F5 or F7's spot in my bag. The F5 is my new 'club you won't give up'. :D

With all of the sales lately, I think that these are by far the best value FW out there right now. My opinion only, of course. I saw a Mashie sticker, that they put on the face (longer from any lie), on the range prior to my round yesterday. I was annoyed that whoever left it there didn't throw it away, but at the same time I was happy that someone else is buying these. Such an under the radar club for a lot of people.

Thanks Hawk. It's my pleasure really. I look forward to hitting these FWs, which is a first for me, and makes them easy to write about.

I'm a bit of a 3W ho, and an eternal tinkerer (who here isn't), so I could see me flirting with another 3W. However, I don't see any reason to challenge the F5 or F7's spot in my bag. The F5 is my new 'club you won't give up'. :D

With all of the sales lately, I think that these are by far the best value FW out there right now. My opinion only, of course. I saw a Mashie sticker, that they put on the face (longer from any lie), on the range prior to my round yesterday. I was annoyed that whoever left it there didn't throw it away, but at the same time I was happy that someone else is buying these. Such an under the radar club for a lot of people.

I really agree with the boded part. I got to hit a 3W that I could see taking that spot, but the F5 is just so damn versatile its crazy. Plus, for me its easy and FUN to hit too. It'd be a hard one to boot right now for me personally.

I really agree with the boded part. I got to hit a 3W that I could see taking that spot, but the F5 is just so damn versatile its crazy. Plus, for me its easy and FUN to hit too. It'd be a hard one to boot right now for me personally.

Definitely. I like it enough that I'd consider buying a second one to have just in case anything happened to mine!

Tonight I had a shot with the F7 that to me is the epitome of what makes these the best fairways on the market. In our scramble you have teams of 4 and each team has to use each players driver once. Well we came to a long par 5 and after I hit a terrible drive because I tried to kill it (long drive hole) 2 of the ladies hit little ground slices into the junk.

Luckily the last lady is a good driver. She hit it into a terrible spot though, some patchy knarly rough that made it difficult to get god contact. Even though we had 180* to move the ball around in I couldn't find a good lie, best spot was hardpan with some type of devil weeds growing all around. Took the drop and of course the ball went to the bottom of the weeds. I had 195 to the center with a left to right wind, perfect distance for the 7 wood. With any other fairway wood I wouldn't have tried a hero shot, I would have played it safe and hit a little iron down to wedge range. Well the mashies thrive in this situations so away I went.

Perfectly clean contact despite the ugly lie. High fade that I thought at first would be right on the stick, unfortunately I didn't start it out far enough left and the wind took me a little more right. Ended up pin high in the fringe, made birdie and got us in the money. To be able to pull off that shot from there really highlights how effective the glide rails and sole is at getting maximum club face on the ball everytime.

Tonight I had a shot with the F7 that to me is the epitome of what makes these the best fairways on the market. In our scramble you have teams of 4 and each team has to use each players driver once. Well we came to a long par 5 and after I hit a terrible drive because I tried to kill it (long drive hole) 2 of the ladies hit little ground slices into the junk.

Luckily the last lady is a good driver. She hit it into a terrible spot though, some patchy knarly rough that made it difficult to get god contact. Even though we had 180* to move the ball around in I couldn't find a good lie, best spot was hardpan with some type of devil weeds growing all around. Took the drop and of course the ball went to the bottom of the weeds. I had 195 to the center with a left to right wind, perfect distance for the 7 wood. With any other fairway wood I wouldn't have tried a hero shot, I would have played it safe and hit a little iron down to wedge range. Well the mashies thrive in this situations so away I went.

Perfectly clean contact despite the ugly lie. High fade that I thought at first would be right on the stick, unfortunately I didn't start it out far enough left and the wind took me a little more right. Ended up pin high in the fringe, made birdie and got us in the money. To be able to pull off that shot from there really highlights how effective the glide rails and sole is at getting maximum club face on the ball everytime.

Great shot buddy, I'm sure those old gals were impressed!

Great shot buddy, I'm sure those old gals were impressed!

Oh yeah, "Great shot Ken!"

They laughed, I died a little inside.

Oh yeah, "Great shot Ken!"

They laughed, I died a little inside.

Maybe they forgot their hearing aids, but you bailed them out big time. Did you tee it forward today?

No, all guys play from the same tees unless you're Moses old. The ladies were waaaay up.

I am still struggling with the F5 off the deck. I think I am gonna have to give it up. But I bomb it off the tee.
So maybe I will get an F3 and just use it to tee off. Now to decide between a 14 or 15.5

LOL at "Good Shot, Ken".

I don't know what happened, but I've really turned a corner with the F3 over the last month. It's been an exceptional fairway wood for me lately. I just wish I had the F5 to bridge the gap between the F3 and the M3.

I had two shots from 200+ out of rotten lies that ended up on the fringe last night. Ball flight recently has been mid trajectory at most with a left-right ball flight that comes back to center. I'm loving it because it gives me some more yards in roll and is much more accurate than my lazy fade.

I am still struggling with the F5 off the deck. I think I am gonna have to give it up. But I bomb it off the tee.
So maybe I will get an F3 and just use it to tee off. Now to decide between a 14 or 15.5

Hit me up if you decide to sell, I am looking to try the F5 again.

Nice shot SW.

Im playing a long course today so I know these will get some play. Love hitting these clubs.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2

Just wanted to say you guys are right on the money with the F5 recommendation. I picked one up and have had two grass range sessions with it so far although admittedly I have not yet had it on the course. I am traditionally a big time fairway wood and long iron topper. I hit them, it makes a great sound, but I tend to hit it into the ground. It's plagued me for years. For whatever reason, I have no trouble sizzling them off the turf with the F5. I am really excited about getting it on the course. I honestly think this club is easier to hit than hybrids. My friend has the F3 which I've tried, and I just don't hit it as well from the turf. I do hit the F3 pretty good off the tee.
One thing that surprised me was how hot the face on this club is. I've been playing for many years so I remember playing clubs with a similar finish and I suppose my brain was expecting a similar performance and feel. It's really a sweet feeling and sound when you hit with this club and watch it fly dead straight and long. This is one heck of a 5 wood.

Glad you found a usuable fairway wood, Cayuga. Agreed about the feel off the face. You almost expect a dead feel like the old gray heads, but it's the complete opposite.

i struggled with the f3 and in fact most 3 woods, i love my f5 and i am dropping my 3 wood altogether and also getting an f7 tomorrow and if its as good as my f5 i will be a happy bunny.

Needed a little range session to straighten myself out a bit. Had to hit off the mats but with a small grip adjustment I was back to high long and straight with my entire family Mashies. I love how well these feel when you nut one.

Back