2016 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Great work!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you, nearing 10lbs, instead of saying "I wanna lose 70lbs" ... it sounds better to say "I'm going to lose 10lbs, 7 times"

Thank you, nearing 10lbs, instead of saying "I wanna lose 70lbs" ... it sounds better to say "I'm going to lose 10lbs, 7 times"

Small goals is so key. I celebrate all kinds of small goals. Now I am more then 2/3 of the way to the 85 I wanted to lose originally!

48 miles on the trainer this evening and the. Made a big ole pot of Paleo Chicken Tortilla Soup. Fantastic.

48 miles on the trainer this evening and the. Made a big ole pot of Paleo Chicken Tortilla Soup. Fantastic.

I biked 3 miles at the end of my workout and I wanted to die. 48 sounds like I would actually die.

I biked 3 miles at the end of my workout and I wanted to die. 48 sounds like I would actually die.

It hurt today. Bad. Super sore from the mountain bike yesterday.

Didn't have a good workout at all tonight. All the bikes at the gym were taken up with the resolutioners in their jeans and penny loafers, so I went on the elliptical and attempted 20 minutes. Barely made it past 10 and my knee went "nope nope nope" so I went to the weights. On my third set of hammer curls I felt an uncomfortable twinge in my right bicep and it just bothered me all night. I was able to do my normal weights/reps but it kept twinging the whole night and now it's sore just sitting here. Drank a lot of water and took 2 Advil in hopes that it's not a big issue.

I haven't participated in these threads before, but I'm going to try to lose around 25 pounds this year. I'm down 3 after the first week so that's a good start, though it was pretty tough and I definitely had some weak moments.

I am back ... kind of relaxed the last couple of weeks, but entered a weight loss challenge with my daughter at Orange Theory ... I weighed after class and to my dismay I was about 7 pounds heavier than I thought I would be ... add into that, I was 12 points off my target number for the night ... just had a hard time getting the heart rate up fast enough.

Just gives me more motivation for Wednesday night and losing 12 pounds in the next 4-6 weeks!

I also moved over the wrist monitor ... I did not care for the chest monitor.

One of the things in the information package from my trainer was the recommendation to drink at least 1 gal of water a day. I normally drink between 64 and 80 oz. yesterday was first attempt at the1 gal and I missed by 8 oz. I'm past 1/2 way today. Yesterday was tough trying to drink that much but today has gone easier.

One of the things in the information package from my trainer was the recommendation to drink at least 1 gal of water a day. I normally drink between 64 and 80 oz. yesterday was first attempt at the1 gal and I missed by 8 oz. I'm past 1/2 way today. Yesterday was tough trying to drink that much but today has gone easier.

You will notice a lot of benefits to drinking a ton of water. Good on you for starting that.

Your pee chart will read a lot better, too (think about drinking 6oz in the next 5 minutes). :bulgy-eyes:

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Last Tuesday at noon I was 185 just now weighed in at 179.8
Just 15 more to go

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

I'm up 10-15 pounds and need to shed it. Tried Atkins last week - what a mess. Too complicated - lots of cooking and do this and do that to get in "ketosis." Um, okay ... do donuts help that?

Decided to do SlimFast's 3-2-1 diet. 3 of their healthy snack bars, 2 meal replacements and 1 healthy meal. I'm on it. Not hard. Used Atkins products because Wally World is full of them and they have a lot less sugar than some of the corresponding SF items.

Did okay until about Friday. Was at IKEA with the wife doing heavy duty furniture shopping and just hit the wall. Not enough glucose. Felt weak and sick. Had to eat at their restaurant and finally got going again. Enough of that.

That ramped me off the diet for the weekend (wife and I celebrating anniversary anyway) so there might have been some donuts and an Ikea cinnamon roll...

weighed this morning and I'm down a pound and a half. I'm thinking when I write my book on dieting with Ikea cinnamon rolls I'm going to get rich....

So now I'm kinda looking for what's next. maybe nutrisystems? anybody done that? I need EASY.

I am back ... kind of relaxed the last couple of weeks, but entered a weight loss challenge with my daughter at Orange Theory ... I weighed after class and to my dismay I was about 7 pounds heavier than I thought I would be ... add into that, I was 12 points off my target number for the night ... just had a hard time getting the heart rate up fast enough.

Just gives me more motivation for Wednesday night and losing 12 pounds in the next 4-6 weeks!

I also moved over the wrist monitor ... I did not care for the chest monitor.

The people in my classes have been having major issues with the wrist one, it goes gray on them a ton. A few people returned them and went back to the chest strap. I hope you don't have that problem, but if you do know you are not alone.

Last Tuesday at noon I was 185 just now weighed in at 179.8
Just 15 more to go

I don't know how tall you are Sposey, but you and I are in just about the same boat, as they say. Started on the 3rd and 183.?. Weighed myself this morning at 179.8. I carry mine on a 5' 6 and 1/4" (yes I want that 1/4"!) frame. lol

The people in my classes have been having major issues with the wrist one, it goes gray on them a ton. A few people returned them and went back to the chest strap. I hope you don't have that problem, but if you do know you are not alone.

That is my fear ... I HATE gray ... I had a lot of trouble with the strap when I first started, turns out it was the strap and not the module thing.

Last edited:
I don't know how tall you are Sposey, but you and I are in just about the same boat, as they say. Started on the 3rd and 183.?. Weighed myself this morning at 179.8. I carry mine on a 5' 6 and 1/4" (yes I want that 1/4"!) frame. lol
I am 5'7 (I might be rounding up lol)
165 is my perfect weight, between being sick and being on prednisone I bloated up like a tick in 3 weeks.

I am 5'7 (I might be rounding up lol)
165 is my perfect weight, between being sick and being on prednisone I bloated up like a tick in 3 weeks.

You and I need to get together and play some golf! lol No one would know from a distance that we're not so tall, with how cut we'll have become and how long we hit the ball!!

I'm up 10-15 pounds and need to shed it. Tried Atkins last week - what a mess. Too complicated - lots of cooking and do this and do that to get in "ketosis." Um, okay ... do donuts help that?

Decided to do SlimFast's 3-2-1 diet. 3 of their healthy snack bars, 2 meal replacements and 1 healthy meal. I'm on it. Not hard. Used Atkins products because Wally World is full of them and they have a lot less sugar than some of the corresponding SF items.

Did okay until about Friday. Was at IKEA with the wife doing heavy duty furniture shopping and just hit the wall. Not enough glucose. Felt weak and sick. Had to eat at their restaurant and finally got going again. Enough of that.

That ramped me off the diet for the weekend (wife and I celebrating anniversary anyway) so there might have been some donuts and an Ikea cinnamon roll...

weighed this morning and I'm down a pound and a half. I'm thinking when I write my book on dieting with Ikea cinnamon rolls I'm going to get rich....

So now I'm kinda looking for what's next. maybe nutrisystems? anybody done that? I need EASY.

I don't think you need a diet, more just a lifestyle change. I would suggest calculating your TDEE, basically how many calories your body burns on a daily basis, and then shoot for 500 calories a day less than that. If you do that you will lose about a pound a week, and it is sustainable. I track all of my food on my fitness pal.

I don't think you need a diet, more just a lifestyle change. I would suggest calculating your TDEE, basically how many calories your body burns on a daily basis, and then shoot for 500 calories a day less than that. If you do that you will lose about a pound a week, and it is sustainable. I track all of my food on my fitness pal.

Agreed. Eating healthy isn't easy. You can make it easier by cooking a lot at once so you don't have to cook every meal. I work at home and constantly cooking is still inconvenient. Stick to foods with few ingredients. Processed foods are generally bad. Almost everything has added sugar. Once you get away from the sugar and regulate your insulin the weight will melt off. Remember, fat isn't always bad. It keeps you full and your hair and nails need some. Just stay away from fried stuff because that fat is bad. Cook with olive oil instead of butter. Spices are your friend to make food taste better. I basically shop in the veggie isle, meat isle and dairy for eggs. Sweet potatoes are an awesome carb. Read labels. If you can't pronounce the ingredients, that's usually a bad sign.

The he best part of this is you don't rally need to track your food intake because whole, natural foods are generally low in calories. Veggies are almost nothing. Just be easy on the salad dressing. Oil and vinegar is the best option if you like that.

Diets are a temporary fix. Good habits last a lifetime.

ps. Treat yourself once a week. It helps fight cravings and once your body gets used to healthy stuff, you'll realize how bad the junk actually makes you feel.

Last edited:

Agree with this mainly. Don't think "what diet will be the best and easiest way for me to lose X pounds?" Think more like "what plan/ system and habits can I develop that will give me the best chance to sustain a long term healthy lifestyle".

This can mean different things for folks. For me personally, a system where you track your food is very powerful. There are different tools, apps and products that do this. Many including me have had proven success at Weight Watchers. Not because it says "eat this, not that" but bC it enables those desirable traits I mentioned above. Slow and steady wins the race. Good luck

Been sticking to the plan and down a few lbs so far. Last night I had to go to my nephews birthday party, no time for the elliptical, but thankfully there was somewhat healthy food. They had tacos, I only had mine on a bed of brown rice with shredded chicken, lettuce, jalapeños, and taco sauce. No birthday cake or ice cream for me and I have another birthday party on Friday. Hope to have some good options again.

Today is the first day of my 16 week program with my trainer. Next 7 days are for tracking macros and weight so that he can get a baseline for where I'm at with macros and use other info I provide to determine my macros.

I bought a hy a fat loss monitor to help track body fat and BMi

Today is the first day of my 16 week program with my trainer. Next 7 days are for tracking macros and weight so that he can get a baseline for where I'm at with macros and use other info I provide to determine my macros.

I bought a hy a fat loss monitor to help track body fat and BMi

Which one did you go with?

Back