Building a home hitting bay, experiences?

Jugger18

Reaction score
Handicap
We are in the process of building a new home. It gets cold here in the winter. I will have unfinished space in in the basement with a 8'9" ceiling. Thoughts? This would be a lower cost situation to start with the possibility of future expansion. Mainly a place to keep the swing loose and grooved over the winters or when I cant get to the range.

It may only be me, but I hate hitting anywhere or into anything where I can't see the ball flight. To each his own, but I don't mind just putting all winter.

Your ceiling height isnt high enough for a full swing, If I remember correctly you need like 11 or 12 for a full driver swing at minimum(per optishot). I would set it up for chipping and putting practice. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do with out the ceiling height.

ceiling height depends....I have 9' ceilings and can take a full driver swing. I am 5'11".

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

ceiling height depends....I have 9' ceilings and can take a full driver swing. I am 5'11".

I'm 6'0" and can take a full swing in my man cave that has 9' ceilings no problem. If you are going to spend a winter hitting into a net, make sure you get a good simulator that gives you an idea of what the ball is doing. I hit into a net in my basement one winter and had grooved a nasty hook that I didn't know about until the snow melted!

Your ceiling height isnt high enough for a full swing, If I remember correctly you need like 11 or 12 for a full driver swing at minimum(per optishot). I would set it up for chipping and putting practice. Unfortunately there isn't much you can do with out the ceiling height.

Also look into an Optishot, I did a review on one last winter. I'll find the link when I get to a computer.

that is kind of low for full shots, I know for experience that having a dent on the back of your driver is not very nice

You will have to see about height and what club you can swing, but If it works stay away from the cheap nets. Net return costs a little more but so worth it. I have hit everything into it and no sign of net wear at all. I also got the side net, only need right side (slice, shank), but it has saved my walls

This is something that I have wanted to do as well. With my height (5'7"), that ceiling height would work for me, personally. I had a hitting spot set up in my garage in the winter when I was in college. Hit it so many times I put multiple holes in my nets. Put at least three balls in the back drywall that I had to fix before I left that rental. I found out that even though my irons felt VERY solid when spring rolled around, that not seeing my ball flight was NOT a good thing either. I FOUGHT a fade on the driving range for a WEEK when I finally got to see my ball flight again.
If money is not a concern, buy some sort of ball tracking software, to see your ball flight...or stick with chipping and putting mostly.

That's my take.

Thanks for all the advice...Will keep it all in mind.

Back