Need some opinions, thoughts or just plain good advice

Nixon

Reaction score
Handicap
my brain!
Ok I'm hoping I am putting this in the right area. Here's my situation:

the irons I am playing currently are Adams a7's w/ stock graphite shafts. they are about 3-4 years old but I have only had them for about 1 1/2 years and were brand new when I got them (got a steal of a deal on them). My swing is pretty consistent and I average low to mid 90's but have had a few rounds varying from 85-88 this year. But here's my issue...ever since I switched to these irons I have lost distance on my shots.

Perfect example would be this: previous to getting these I was hitting my 7 iron 165ish. With my current club I am struggling to hit the 7 150.
so basically I am having to take one club more on almost every iron shot. Puzzled I went out to the range with the guy I sold my old set too, hit my 7 iron....a bounce short of 150; grabbed my old 7 iron 160ish. Tried this with other clubs and found I am hitting shorter with all mine and it wasn't in my head. the only difference is that my old set had steel shafts, the new set has graphite:confused2:

So here's what I am wondering:

a. look at getting new irons that are fit for me
b. reshaft my current irons with a steel shaft
c. any other ideas??

I have never gotten fitted for any of my clubs as a point of reference as well. This is one thing I am thinking I should do no matter what, I just wanted to get some feedback from everyone and see what your thoughts are.

Thanks for the help and have a good one!

Nix

I'd get fit rather than reshaft, assuming you have the funds. Reshafting isn't cheap unless you have shafts laying around and can do it yourself. You could easily put a couple hundred bucks into it by the time you buy shafts, grips, pay for the work, etc.

Any difference in height or shot shape between the two irons?

I'd get fit rather than reshaft, assuming you have the funds. Reshafting isn't cheap unless you have shafts laying around and can do it yourself. You could easily put a couple hundred bucks into it by the time you buy shafts, grips, pay for the work, etc.

without a doubt I hit them higher now, honestly I have thought a few of them might burn up on re-entry into the earth's atmosphere, haha.

QFT...

Yea, maybe it's a spin/launch thing. Too much of either and you'll be losing yards. It's tough to say. Either way, it sounds like you need to make a switch. Maybe you could buy your old irons back.

best ball flight description ever

Well after today's round I am going to begin the process of looking at getting fit for a new set of irons. Kinda stinks because I really liked the feel of these irons but the distance loss has me at my wits end :banghead: To add insult to injury I hit a freaking seagull that was flying over the fairway on one shot ( didn't kill it which I felt good about though one of my playing partners started calling me DeadEye for the rest of the round ) and with how high my shots were flying I think I changed the path of a couple of satellites so if your satellite TV has reception problems today I'm sorry...

Back