2015 Weight Loss and Nutrition Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have any of you guys done protein drinks with just some almond milk and PB2? I am lactose intolerant so I bought a vegan protein powder, which tastes absolutely disgusting! I used to drink it when I worked out a lot, but I forgot how bad it tastes. I tried to make a drink this morning with frozen berries, almond milk and the powder and it was disgusting. I am thinking just almond milk and PB2 might be the way to go.

The powder tastes like vanilla plant food, so nasty!

Which brand did you buy? I can handle most milk products, but for some reason any whey protein is a recipe for a stomachache for me. I've had to switch to the vegan stuff - it absolutely takes a while to get used to, and you need to add other flavors to it. For that reason, I only buy the chocolate one, or add berries to the vanilla and blend.

Also - for what it's worth, I tried the lactose free whey protein, and had the same issues.

I don't drink energy drinks or much soda, I pretty much just drink water all the time. That's not my issue, food is my issue. I was hoping to include a protein shake after my workout, but I can't do the whey because it is dairy and the vegan stuff is so gross. I tried egg white protein once, and that wasn't bad, but wasn't as good for you as the vegan one.

I blended it with some mixed berries but it was still so gross. I think I just forgot how bad it was. I will have to give it another try.
My stomach doesn't handle the whey protein as well. I have been using Ultimate Muscle Protein (UMP) and it is fantastic. The chocolate is pretty damn good, especially with almond milk.

I don't drink energy drinks or much soda, I pretty much just drink water all the time. That's not my issue, food is my issue. I was hoping to include a protein shake after my workout, but I can't do the whey because it is dairy and the vegan stuff is so gross. I tried egg white protein once, and that wasn't bad, but wasn't as good for you as the vegan one.

I blended it with some mixed berries but it was still so gross. I think I just forgot how bad it was. I will have to give it another try.
Morgan, I can't comment on the protein shakes, but my wife has made me some fantastic protein bars that I use as a snack or after a workout. About 100 calories and 6.2g of protein and tastes great. It is peanut butter, honey, oats, and protein powder. We use the whey protein powder from Target but I imagine you could sub in any powder. I can send you the recipe if you want.

Morgan, I can't comment on the protein shakes, but my wife has made me some fantastic protein bars that I use as a snack or after a workout. About 100 calories and 6.2g of protein and tastes great. It is peanut butter, honey, oats, and protein powder. We use the whey protein powder from Target but I imagine you could sub in any powder. I can send you the recipe if you want.

Post it up here!

Which brand did you buy? I can handle most milk products, but for some reason any whey protein is a recipe for a stomachache for me. I've had to switch to the vegan stuff - it absolutely takes a while to get used to, and you need to add other flavors to it. For that reason, I only buy the chocolate one, or add berries to the vanilla and blend.

Also - for what it's worth, I tried the lactose free whey protein, and had the same issues.

This is the stuff I have, I have the vanilla bean one. Good to know about the lactose free protein, I worried it was nothing more than whey with the lactase enzyme (basically a lactaid pill) which isn't always 100% effective.

MRM-veggie-product.png

My stomach doesn't handle the whey protein as well. I have been using Ultimate Muscle Protein (UMP) and it is fantastic. The chocolate is pretty damn good, especially with almond milk.

That one is still made from milk which is guaranteed to make me sick, thanks for the recommendation though!

I need to find a protein powder that doesn't taste like dirt first haha, but thanks!

I need to find a protein powder that doesn't taste like dirt first haha, but thanks!

This is the one I use: https://www.sunwarrior.com/store/warrior-blend-chocolate-500g.html - the whey isolates are a _little_ better for me than some of the other ones, but I still don't feel right after, so I'm stuck with the Vegan ones. I may actually have a single serving packet. If I do, I'll PM you and send it your way. The other proteins are better, but this has been the best vegan one I've found.

Same, as. :)

Nice work. I was shocked I lost this week.. Thursday and Friday weren't great for me, but I think the rest of the week must have made up for it.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Thanks! I really appreciate it.
How are you with lentils or grains? Quinoa is pretty good for protein as are regular green lentils ("mung daal").

I honestly cannot even look at myself in the mirror, I do not even recognized the person I see in front of me. I keep trying to get my eating in order and then I fall off the wagon again. I ordered a size small shirt for the Grandaddy and I am 99% sure I won't fit into it. I actually woke up in a panic at 3am thinking about this.

I HAVE to get this under control. I did my first run on the treadmill just now. Nothing major, just 1.5 miles but it's better than nothing. The first mile I banged out in 10 minutes, but the last .5 mile took me another 10 minutes because I walked at a slower pace at the highest incline the machine could go. I didn't want to kill myself the first time out.

I really hope I can find my way again, because I really hate myself right now.

Morgan, don't hate yourself right now ( I went through the I don't like myself stage also ). What I did is say, " I like myself and because I like myself I am going to make healthy changes". This is much more positive and motivating.

It is a lot easier to make changes for and to yourself when you like your self. ( I am good now, just think how much better I can be!)

sounds goofy and sounds like a commercial but, if I can do it, anybody can do it, as long as they want to do it.

Hang in there

I am fine with them, it's just dairy I can't handle. Sadly, been that way since birth.
Perfect. I'd recommend adding quinoa into everything. :D It doesn't have much of a taste, so you can put it in whatever.

Perfect. I'd recommend adding quinoa into everything. :D It doesn't have much of a taste, so you can put it in whatever.

I love quinoa, I eat it all the time. I saw a recipe for a quinoa and oatmeal combo, I might give it a try.

My diet and workout program is starting to get results. :)
For weight loss (since I also lift weights and don't lose total weight that much) I check the amount of fat behind the sides of my jaw, and the amount of snoring I do while sleeping. Both of those metrics have improved nicely.

I'm also using the MyFitnessPal app to track my intakes which has been pretty good at keeping me in track. (my username is the same as here if anyone wants to add me)

Anyways, all of us in here and working on the loss can definitely get it done. My positivity on this slightly gloomy NC morning.

1 more lb to go and should coast in under 190 for The Grandaddy.
More importantly I will easily make my sub 185 goal for the PGA Show barring any major hiccups.
Im actually moving my goal to 180 by the PGA Show now.

Do I need to give you my healthy alcohol drink speech :D

1 more lb to go and should coast in under 190 for The Grandaddy.
More importantly I will easily make my sub 185 goal for the PGA Show barring any major hiccups.
Im actually moving my goal to 180 by the PGA Show now.

DragonFly. It's happening. I think that was our deal.

Nice Josh! Glad to hear you are going to make your goal. I am hoping for another 2-3 pounds this week which will get me to 53-54 pounds total, and then just hoping to sort of maintain while I am in Cali. If I can come out of that the same and then hit the gym hard Thursday-Sunday I should be good to keep on track with my goal.

Set goal last night of getting 1000 cal at Orange Theory class. While I am the first to question the real number of calories, its still a data point I was trying to hit, and I had to work my butt off to get it ...

OT%2012-2-2015.png
[/URL][/IMG]

If I was burning 1000 calories a workout, I could eat Golden Coral for every meal.

If I was burning 1000 calories a workout, I could eat Golden Coral for every meal.

I might eat pizza for every meal, and I would still lose weight

I might eat pizza for every meal, and I would still lose weight

LOL I hear you ... I view it has a data point of a work effort, more than it represents calories. I think an old guy like me breaks their model a bit ... plus I was supposed to be in the orange, more than the red ... but I wanted the 1000 number (whatever it really is)

LOL I hear you ... I view it has a data point of a work effort, more than it represents calories. I think an old guy like me breaks their model a bit ... plus I was supposed to be in the orange, more than the red ... but I wanted the 1000 number (whatever it really is)

Either way it looks like you got a damn good workout in. Heart was beating out of your chest for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back