Pre-Tournament Prep

Vegan702

Reaction score
Handicap
Exploding
For those of you that play in competitive tournaments, what does your pre-tournament routine consist of? Do you play more than 1 practice round? Do you map out on a scorecard/paper/etc how you will play each hole? Do you do something at the range in the am before your round?

I will be playing a tournament next weekend in which I will get my full index to play with so I am trying to plot my strategy on how to go about getting ready for it. I have played the course 2 times in the last 3 weeks, most recently on Wed., however, I just got the scorecard that will be used and there will be some different tee locations that I didn't expect. I assumed they would be playing from 1 set of tees, however, they mixed them up over 4 different tee boxes, so the holes will be playing differently from how I have played them before. A couple holes will be from the very back tee boxes and some will be from some of the forward tee boxes, this course has 6 tee boxes. I have gone over the scorecard and written down how I would like the play the holes in regards to club selection assuming it will be good weather and during my warm up I am hitting well. Is there anything else I should do before hand? I played 2 previous tournaments with this organization over the last 2 months, however, because I wasn't getting my full index I didn't really prepare for them as I knew I couldn't win them or even get into contention giving up 5-10 strokes each day.

I know I should, but I never do much prep for golf. Other than, I'll keep my everyday routine on the driving range and putting green.

About the only thing I ever did was pay closer attention to the greens before playing in a tournament. If the tournament were important enough, I would play a couple of practice rounds, but I would make sure I took the time to mark down the the read of the greens in a little note book. I would do this even if it meant skipping approach shots to the green to save time.

Since the pin locations were not going to be known till tournament day, I would hand roll the ball from different directions, across the greens to get an idea of any breaks that were involved, and also any landing areas that were better than others for a particular green. I would also note green side bunker locations, and rather the green was elevated, or not.

Maybe you've done this, and it will be affected by pin positions, but try and plan the best landing zones for your tee shots. Pick specific targets that leave you the best angle fo approach to the greens. Those that keep bunkers and water hazards out of play. Try to plan to generally leave the ball below the hole. In many cases being a little short is better than long. Don't take a lot chances by going in over trouble directly at pins. You talk about playing to your full index, so it sounds like you may be getting a few shots. If it's a medal play tournament then play the course to give yourself the best chance at par. Fairways, greens and two putts.

Good luck and let us know how you do. You've really taken this seriously since I saw your first posts on the other forum. Remember golf is a game of honesty and integrity, so don't do any comp checks out there. At least without a fully documented work file.

Kevin

Maybe you've done this, and it will be affected by pin positions, but try and plan the best landing zones for your tee shots. Pick specific targets that leave you the best angle fo approach to the greens. Those that keep bunkers and water hazards out of play. Try to plan to generally leave the ball below the hole. In many cases being a little short is better than long. Don't take a lot chances by going in over trouble directly at pins. You talk about playing to your full index, so it sounds like you may be getting a few shots. If it's a medal play tournament then play the course to give yourself the best chance at par. Fairways, greens and two putts.

Good luck and let us know how you do. You've really taken this seriously since I saw your first posts on the other forum. Remember golf is a game of honesty and integrity, so don't do any comp checks out there. At least without a fully documented work file.

Kevin

I can't even remember the last time I was asked for a comp check, probably 2-3 years ago I think.

I am always serious when I start something new and I commit to it. My friends think I am crazy playing tournaments with such a high handicap, but that is what the net division is for. It doesn't matter if I am a 2 or a 30, I still have to play to my index or a little better which is the ultimate goal. The fact that there are 60 other players out there doesn't make a difference as I can only control what I do. If I shoot my par or a little better than I have a decent chance of winning or at least second or third. But as Ricky Bobby says, if you ain't first, you're last. :)

I have been plotting where I think I should land the ball on the green. I have a habit of always going at the pin and getting into trouble. I have to make a mental note and also write in my course book to play them safe. I am getting fairly good around the green with my chipping, so even if I don't make the green, I am pretty confident in my chipping ability that it will put me in position to 1 putt.

Rest assured the comp check comment was joke. Sounds like you know to steer clear of most pins if they can get you in trouble. That can easily save you four or five shots. Good luck. Make your profession proud. I'm pulling for you.

Kevin

I do varying degrees of preparation. It really depends on how much time I have. If I am playing at a course that I have never played before I will go onto Google Earth and take a look at distances to fairway bunkers etc.

If it is a tournament at my home club I will ask for pin sheets from previous years and then go out and map the greens with my breakmaster.

I am not that big of a fan of pre-tournament practice rounds that are within 1-2 days of the tournament. I have done that before played GREAT and then played awful in the tournament. But I think that is personal.

Most of my big Tourneys,my routine to prep for the course is to ride the course backwards.Start from 18th green and finish on 1 st tee box.Divide green into 4 sections and see which way those spots break and which way is faster. Then see where to bail out with pin in all four locations. Then scoll to 150 marker and see hole towards green and back to tee.See slopes of fairways and where trouble is.

I like to play course backwards,it helps me learn the course better.

When I play the practice round,I always hit two balls off tee .1 with driver and 1 with 3 wood.Want to see best place to be for angles and bail out area.Then decide what to play for tourney.
par 3's I end up hitting 6 balls,3 from back tees and 3 from next up tee.Hit a ball to front ,middle and rear.Helps in decision for proper club regardless of pin.

Back