pcarroll

Reaction score
Handicap
I'll jump right into it. My best club is a KZG 5 hybrid that I bought used for $8. I hit it around 150-160, much further than any of my irons, much more accurate, and I can even work it the way I want about 50% of the time. I noticed that the face is different than a random 4 hybrid that I have and my kzg also has a longer shaft. The KZG face is flat, like an iron, and the 4h face is rounded more like my 3 wood.

I'm curious if there are terms for these two types of hybrids and the pros/cons of either. I hit my KZG hybrid so much better than the 4h, which now I only use to punch out of really bad stuff.

I ask because I'm looking into new clubs and it seems I should look for something similar to the KZG hybrid because it works so much better for me than anything else. I basically hit my Driver and 5h until I can use a 7-pw because I can't hit a long Iron.

I used the search feature but am unable to find an answer.
Thanks

I think you can find different hybrid shapes, some are more iron-like (eg. Ping G20) or more like a fairway wood (eg Ping I20) it all falls under personal preference. I tend to prefer fairway wood style hybrids but that's just me. Go with what you are most comfortable and confident with, remember that golf is all about confidence.

You have small players hybrids like the pro a12, small GI hybrids like the G20, "standard" hybrids like the a12, "standard" GI hybrids like the a12OS, then the crazy big ones like the RBZ and 910H.

You have small players hybrids like the pro a12, small GI hybrids like the G20, "standard" hybrids like the a12, "standard" GI hybrids like the a12OS, then the crazy big ones like the RBZ and 910H.

I like my smaller R11 Rescue, it looks great, and I tend to hit it well

Have you thought about hybrid irons such as the Cleveland Altitudes on the home page? Good article. You should check it out if you haven't yet.

I would suggest working from the ground up rather than from one club. Sounds like a set like the Cleveland Mashie iron set or Adams a12os would be right up your alley. Seek a proper fitting, just the basics can make a world of difference (lie, length, flex).

I like my smaller R11 Rescue, it looks great, and I tend to hit it well

I like mine too, they have that perfect shape which is midway between iron and fw

Callaway and Titleist are both coming out with "driving irons" in the near future, which is basically what your KZG U-Iron is. Other companies alrady have them too, but depending on your location, those might be hard to come by. For starters, however, just do some research into the Callaway Prototype Driving Iron and the Titleist 712u...I think you'll like what you see.

Mizuno Fli Hi is an option. Same looks, only uses standard iron length shafts. There is a review on THP.

Last edited:
I personally like the smaller headed hybrids. The A12OS looked huge as did the RBZ. I have the Rescue 11 and I love it. My only complaint though with TM in general is their made for TM shafts. Wish the upgrade wasnt so high.

lots of incredible responses, thank you. Plenty of goods for me to look at now and I'll be able to understand what they actually are.

Back