Making Par (Birdie) the Hard Way

A few weeks back I was playing with DRP and we were on a par three...165 yards. He hit a high weak push that landed on the downslope of a big bunker short right of the green. He was about 20 yds short of the pin....proceeded to hit it a bit 'strong' out of the bunker over the green and ended up 25 yards away. I could tell he was a bit frustrated....but I give him credit cause he stepped right up and knocked his chip in the hole. It was pretty sweet.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Bret / Golf4life and I played a round a few weeks before #TheKing. On a short par 4, I chunk an iron off the tee and top my second, leaving me with 125 yards to get up and down for par. Pull my PW and hit it 6 inches from the cup.

yeserday, hole 3 par 3 167 yards with a little pond in front and right of the green.

I proceed to hook my tee shot in the pond, drop a ball at the drop zone, and chip it in.

The last hole on usual course is the hardest hole. Its a 420 yard par 4 with a dogleg right and a green surrounded by bunkers.

2 weeks ago I teamed up with another single and we had a friendly matchplay game. I closed him out on 15 but we still had fun on the rest of the holes.

I decided to swing as hard as I possibly could off the tee and thinned/almosted topped it. So im 220 out and in the left side of the fairway. I hit a beautiful drawing 3h, but it lands in one of the greenside bunkers. At this point I pretty much except that bogey is the best im going to do, im shortsided with no green to workwith and the bunker is deep.

Hit an amazing bunker shot out of the bunker, caught the slope and watched the ball roll in the hole.

#whatafinish

I had two 3-putt pars today (par 5s)...but I'm not sure that's what "making par the hard way" is intended....

Had a good one yesterday on a 380 yard par 4.

-Peeled my drive off to the right. Thanks to the crap contact and a 25mph headwind it died up in the air.
-Had to hit 2nd shot really low b/c of overhanging trees, but caught it high on the face and hit a branch. Made it out to the fairway but 115 out into the wind.
-Knockdown shot to 10 feet.
-Drained the putt.

2 weeks ago, shortish par 5 but kinda zig zag fairway.

Tee shot was good, in the fairway and had everything in front of me
Fanned the 2nd straight as an arrow but was trying to draw it
Topped wedge trying to go over the trees
Short wedge into the side of a hill
Holed the pitch shot

Some much bad covered but by 1 stroke that worked out like I planned

Making Par (Birdie) the Hard Way

Had one and witnessed another on Sunday's round.

Mine...long par 4, a little over 400 yards. Drive goes too long and left, ends up just off the path but mostly blocked by trees and a dirt lie from 120. Hack out, get knocked down by trees but nearly reach the fairway, resting in a two foot circle of lush grass. Chip to six feet above the hole and make a slippery R-L that would have gone six feet past if missed.

Witnessed...buddy slices his drive and we watch it two hop into the drink. He takes his drop and hits a 5 wood for the ages. 220 yards, 190 yards to carry water, hits the green and settles six feet below the hole. Drains the putt for a wet birdie.

At pine lakes this past weekend on a par 4. Big high left hook with drive. 224 to the pin, hit 6 inches behind the ball with utility iron, ball moving maybe 30 or 40 yds. Got pissed and grabbed 7 iron, no idea on yardage since I couldn't see the pin. Hit it to 3 ft and tapped in for par

Last edited:
Good drive and about 150 left. Hit the 8 iron so bad it barely got off the ground and probably rolled over 100 yards up onto the green inside 20 feet. 2 putt par which I almost felt guilty recording.

Last week I hit a solid drive but pushed it and it bounced into the water. Took my drop and hit a 7i to 18" to save a par. Best shot I hit all day.

I remember a couple from last year that stand out.

Dawgdaddy said this was the ugliest par he'd ever seen then fretted that he had hurt my feelings. I thought it was hilarious!

Par 5 (it went something like this)
Pushed driver into trees
Pulled hybrid into trees on other side
Pitched out to fairway
Pulled approach to left of green
Chipped in for par

Par 4
Pulled drive into the trees
Pitched out and hit another tree
Pitched out into fairway
Flew in hole from 60 yards out

ddec and tbt made a spectacular par from the trees at Myrtle Beach in 2012. I still can't believe ddec made the ball go anywhere but still in the trees on his second shot.

Short par 5 that dog legs left slightly. Topped my drive, ball goes about 50 yards. Hit my 4H and left me with 150 yards. Green has a trap in front and one on each side. Pulled my 7I and the ball lands on the shoulder of the front trap and squirts right, ending up about 30 feet from the pin on the fringe. On my chip, just trying to get it close, hit it good. Bounced twice then rolled right into the cup for birdie.

Back