Feel - Does it come more from the head or the shaft?

tumblr_lkqm0enAZt1qh59n0o1_500.gif

Man I completely disagree. There are plenty of heads that just feel awful to me. Everything TM since they went white for example
I 100 percent agree with this statement! What happened to TM drivers, they used to feel great and since they switched to the white heads they have been/felt terrible.

That's a good question Jack. I would think it comes more from a good or bad combination than anything. All about how the head and shaft work together.

+1 I think it starts at the head and ends with the shaft

^^^^^^ I Tapped That.....On My iPad ^^^^^^

+1 I think it starts at the head and ends with the shaft

Some say it starts at the butt end. And works its way down to the head.

The only thing I can feel is the head at impact based on its sound and where I hit it on the club face. The only thing I can tell about the shaft is the height it gets.

Some say it starts at the butt end. And works its way down to the head.

Total chicken v. Egg thing I think dude. No right answer unlike forged being better than cast

Feel is subjective. I like TM drivers. But with the right shaft. I guess for me the shaft makes more if the difference

Total chicken v. Egg thing I think dude. No right answer unlike forged being better than cast

As long as there's a happy ending.

As long as there's a happy ending.

Always is when it starts at the butt end of the shaft.

Good point about feel being subjective TCamolina...

How do you know that you hate the head but love the shaft? How do you separate them?

R11?? haha.

I don't know I think with my woods It's more about striking the ball solidly and I think in my case it's a head. I don't really care what it sounds like.

My R11 sounds like a train smashing through a concrete woodshed

The head for me determines feel. A smooth shaft feels better but ultimately the head is hitting the ball, not the shaft.

Wouldn't it be both?!? The only thing I feel from the shaft is sometimes the lag in it. The head I feel at impact and the compression. But the entire feel of the club depends on both.

Man I completely disagree. There are plenty of heads that just feel awful to me. Everything TM since they went white for example

I know what you're saying. Those white drivers feel great to me 2 out of 10 swings. Which just tells me I mis-swung those 2 swings. I know that the sounds are different for every club, and that affects the preception of the feel.

I like the direction this thread went.

I recently replaced the stock C.Kua 43s shaft, (51 grams), of my Cleveland Classic 290 with a 45" Fujikura 757 Tourspec shaft, (77 grams), and it made a huge difference in the feel of the club. Feel is just so much better now, (much more solid feel), with the heavier 757 Tourspec shaft. The sound is more muted as well. A very dramatic difference and I absolutely love this driver now!

This experience helped confirm why I have never cared for ultra light graphite shafts. A heavier graphite shaft can make all the difference in the world in how a club feels, sounds and performs.

Last edited:
Interesting posts! I tried out some irons a couple of weeks ago. The ones that felt and sounded 'good' were okay. But then I hit one that did not have a distinctive feel or sound and was blown away with the launch moniter stats with an increase of about 10 yards in length and much better dispersion!! I'm putting my faith in the LM stats from now on.

Not good enough to decide if a club's good or bad for me by feel. Most of what I "feel" is negative feedback that tells me I've messed up. Shock, jarring, tingling, that sort of thing. I'd say its the head/shaft combo that decides if I like the feel, and that's just waving it around. Not whippy, not iron stiff, with a bit of heft to it is all I want, and if I hit it well...I don't "feel" anything.

Back