Do you get angry about your golf?

topspark

Reaction score
Handicap
me
Ok, did a quick search, but cannot find anything on this.
Had an instance recently, where one of my golf partners, became very angry over his golf, so much so, that he says he will never play again because he doesn't want to be angry anymore?
During the round I could see his frustration and anger building, and it did effect all others in the group.
Does anyone else get this sort of stress from golf, and if so, what do you do to combat this during a round.
And what can I say to try and help him?
I have tried a few jokes, but that never really seems to work.
How do you do a quick "de stress" during a frustrating round?
any ideas or thoughts appreciated.

The golf course and golf is one of the rare times I am at peace.

I used to get upset but I learned that there is nothing you can do except keep swinging the club. As for being there for your friend, you have to gage the right time to calm him down. I have played with a guy that get upset like this and I let him vent for a few shots then I grab his shoulder and tell him it'll be ok. It's not fun but play thru it

I used to get mad when I was having a really bad round. Not mad enough to throw clubs or start cussing like a sailor just mainly mad at myself. But I channeled it into a drive to get better, not get angry when things aren't going my way. This is golf...golf can be frustrating, but it's the greatest game ever invented, and there are so many people that only wish they had our problems. For me, a golf course is a place of peace and relaxation that is becoming harder to find in this world.

Nah. Whether I shoot 91 or 105 golf is too precious for me to get upset about. The fact that I care about my game doesn't mean I need to get upset. There's always the next game.

As for other guys who get angry, life's too short for me to ruin my round because of someone else's anger. Most probably I won't be playing with him again.

Why would I ruin a beautiful Sunday morning, in a beautiful course, being with old men shouting at each other arguing about a rule of golf? Time to find other playing partners.

Not for me. I can't say I've ever really gotten angry about golf. Golf is my escape from the world. It's where I go to relax.

Not really. I can get frustrated at times when my game is off, but not really angry. A bad day of golf is still way better than a good day not playing golf.

I find that on the course that I don't get angry at my own game, but I can get really worked up over slow play in front of me and not making the effort to let a group or single play through. When I feel it creeping in I'll lay back and maybe hit more than one ball to get a buffer between me and them. Don't know why it bothers me so much,, but if I don't curb it, I can turn into a lunatic.

Not really. I can get frustrated at times when my game is off, but not really angry. A bad day of golf is still way better than a good day not playing golf.

Ditto!

I find that on the course that I don't get angry at my own game, but I can get really worked up over slow play in front of me and not making the effort to let a group or single play through. When I feel it creeping in I'll lay back and maybe hit more than one ball to get a buffer between me and them. Don't know why it bothers me so much,, but if I don't curb it, I can turn into a lunatic.

I know exactly how you feel. I now try and sit back pull out my phone and play games on it. Anything to take my mind off having to wait longer than usual. I now also take a few extra practice swings. I find a long wait to hit my next shot really screws up my tempo. Venting anger and turning into a lunatic doesn't help me so I am now trying the more passive route.

No. I save being mad for work........

Not for a long time. Although, I still try very hard I not that results oriented anymore. I try to relax enjoy the scenery and the people which is what is really all about at our level. If your friend really loves golf, he'll calm down and be back!! I find it hard to walk away from something I love to do!!

I don't get angry. Frustrated yes. I learned to accept that bad shots occur and as an amateur there will be a fair share of them. I just take that feeling and go work on my game

I am not good enough to get angry about my golf - it isn't my livelihood so no point getting stressed about it

Golf is a chance to get away and enjoy time on the course with friends. If I play well and shoot a good score then that is a bonus but there is no point getting angry when I don't play well...frustrated, yes but not angry

I get frustrated at myself for missing a shot I should easily execute but don't get uncontrollable angry. I would take some time away from the game if it got to that point.

I don't get angry. Frustrated yes. I learned to accept that bad shots occur and as an amateur there will be a fair share of them. I just take that feeling and go work on my game

Same here. No anger, sure frustration creeps in, but someone wise told me when I started playing that I was far too poor of a golfer to get mad. I should expect bad days and just work with what I had.

I got angry once last year and I felt like a bum almost immediately. Life's too short to get that worked up over a game I willingly paid to play.

More frustrated and rarely angry. You won't see me throw clubs or yelling obscenities out on the course.

I wouldn't say I get mad just frustrated. If it happens I just slow down for a second and remember that I can turn it around and just make a good swing. I try to forget about it and just focus on what I'm doing any things usually get better.

Sadly I can explode and totally lose my game. Hate it.

Nah, not really. I'll get a bit upset with myself but drop it quickly and move on. Try to not ever show "anger" on the course....not good enough to get angry.

Frustration and Depresssion.But anger soon follows when those two are maxed out

I can and it pisses me off!

I don't get angry, it's just a game. I'll get frustrated sometimes when my swing up and disappears, but I always enjoy being on the course whether I'm playing good or bad.

Not throw your club angry. If I get a little upset I just play some of my favorite music and refocus.

Your buddy/playing partner may not be so wrong to leave the sport. I'll explain.

been there, done that. But through the years I've realized that there is just no sense to spending my very valuable and limited resources of time and money on something that is going to make me miserable. I still get angry but I also quickly move past it. Its just not worth it. The whole idea of my golf (even though I certainly always want to get better and try hard to do so) is to enjoy it. Its a recreation that I like to do and whats the use or purpose of it if I am always upset? Many people I know have been golfing half as long as me and also practice and play less than me and yet are twice as good as me. That's frustrating, it sure is. But I cant do anything about it. I have to try to always enjoy the round even if I get angry or frustrated with myself during the round. If one cannot get enjoyment out of their own choice of recreation and is always miserable there is imo no sense to take part in that recreation anymore.

So if your buddy is miserable there is no reason to force him to keep playing. If he knows he cant find enjoyment unless he plays well, then there is no rule that says he must still golf. He is not wrong for feeling this way imo. He'd rather spend spare time and money doing something that doesn't make him miserable and that imo is actually a smart choice.

we've probably all been around miserable golfers and there was a time I was (at times) one of them. But there are then 2 choices to make. One can either find a way to enjoy it regardless or one can decide to leave the sport and the misery it creates for them. The only stupid decsison is the one that's in between. The one that results in one continually beating themselves over the head with misery and yet keeps wasting their valuable resources of time and money doing so. The only thing one can do is either accept it, or change it. Anything other than that is a losing senseless battle to no where but more misery.

Back