wonder how things would change if the deep bunker looked like this, seems Im the only one scared of chunking it into the sand and ending up with a 5 or 6

images

It is however it would normally be when you miss the green in that area of your local golf course.

In this case it would be a tight lie with no grass under the ball so I would use the 64* wedge and a normal pitch try to make sure it was on the putting surface at the hole. Thinking bogie at worst, maybe a miracle par or even more miraculous birdie.

What is the black line representing, JB? Is that simply showing us the middle of the green?

It kind of depends on what is just past the bunker. Ideally, I would take my 57* and try to hit it into the rough just shy of the fringe which would cause it to barely roll out. I would love to play a flop but execution is much more difficult. I would ignore the fact that the bunker is there and commit

I am taking a shot at the middle of the green. Too many times when I try to get cute I chunk it into the bunker or blade it all the way accross the green. I think it could possibly be a wedge issue, but regardless I would play a safe shot to the middle of the green and take my 2-putt bogey or possibly a par

I'm going to the left or right, depending on which uphill putt is easier is the side I will choose. That will geve me the best chance for par.

wonder how things would change if the deep bunker looked like this, seems Im the only one scared of chunking it into the sand and ending up with a 5 or 6

images

Nah dude, I am with you. I think I have a darn good short game and play the flop quite a bit, but with a good round going, I am going to put it past the hole on the putting surface and maybe if I am lucky, hit the stick. No reason to play hero with a flop shot here for me. I would never want to bring the big number into play on the 18th with a good round going.

What is the black line representing, JB? Is that simply showing us the middle of the green?

Where the slope of the green starts.

Nah dude, I am with you. I think I have a darn good short game and play the flop quite a bit, but with a good round going, I am going to put it past the hole on the putting surface and maybe if I am lucky, hit the stick. No reason to play hero with a flop shot here for me. I would never want to bring the big number into play on the 18th with a good round going.

Yeah I agree and at least with that shot, you at least have a chance to sink a putt for par. Not a fan of the high risk high reward shot that late in the game with a solid round going.

JB Where the slope of the green starts.[/QUOTE said:
Then I would aim just in front of that line. With my game, that would give me the best chance to be on the green and 2 putt. My bunker play is atrocious so I need to do everything I can to stay out of if.

I would take my 58* and open it and try try to land softly just on the green. Hopefully not too much rollout and give me a chance at Par if I don't birdie it.

TapAhoy!

I'd want to make sure I at least reach the green, even if it goes down the slope to the other side. If you leave it short you have an even tougher shot.

Yeah, that's how I'd see it. I'd definitely try for par, but getting on the greeen and 2 putting is better than trying to salvage from the front bunker.

I'm trying to play it AT the hole. My miss is usually short in my short game so if that happens I'm OK and maybe I luck out and hit the pin if not, in the end though, I just want to be ON the surface in all honesty. I've come a long way in my mental game to where if there is too much risk I've got no problem taking the safe/smart play rather than the shot that I might pull of 1 out of 5 times.

I would go for the flop to make par, but I'd hit it in the bunker then knock it out and two putt for double.

I would take my 58, aim to hit the green just inside the fringe. Let the ball roll out towards or past the hole, and work on saving the par.

Given that it's a par 3 odds are the tee shot was high and the lie is plugged in the thick stuff. I would have to just shoot passed the hole and hope for a long par putt. If somehow the lie was favorable I would open up the 60* and go Phil Mickelson on it.

If I have a nice fluffy lie, I open the face and try the flop.

If its a tight, thin lie, well then I'm screwed. I just can't seem to hit a flop with that type of lie. In that case I would try a chip shot trying to impart some spin.

I would go for the flop to make par, but I'd hit it in the bunker then knock it out and two putt for double.

More likely you'd knock it in for the birdie and go home with a year's supply of Bridgestone balls. ;)

Ooooh, I like this. Ok, so assuming I'm in rough, if the ball is sitting up nicely, I will play a flop. I'll be sure to hit hard enough to carry to the fringe, but if I catch too much of the ball, worst case is that I end up way at the other (left) end of the green. If I judged how much the ball was sitting up well, i'll land the ball and it'll nestle up to that pin.

If the ball is sitting down in rough, or if it's fairway, I play a typical chip with a 56* wedge. I'm not going to try and be fancy with it. I feel pretty good about my putting most days to believe I can two putt from most places, so I'm not going to risk ending up in the bunker. Yes, I will have a long first putt, but at least I'll be putting.

~Rock

I'm taking a 60 degree and flopping it over that bunker. By the looks of that green, I have more than enough room past the pin if the ball doesn't stop like I would like it to, so I would feel pretty confident about that shot.

I am using a 60* Lob wedge and ensuring I am getting on the green with that first shot. I'll take a 2-putt bogie over trying to get cute and leaving it in that deep bunker or thinning it over the green - leading to a double (or worse).
I will be playing right of the pin as it look like there is a little more room to play with before it hits that big slope.

It is however it would normally be when you miss the green in that area of your local golf course.

I would be in 6-8" of the thick stuff not much of a chance to put spin on it. I'd use my 60* and try to land it by the hole. If I hit it short I'm still on the green. if I hit my shot it rolls out down the slope and I'm now hoping for bogey.

I would want to try a flop with my 60* but would probably end up trying to pitch it just over the bunker onto the fringe with my AW, going way past the hole leaving me a 40 foot putt to try for par.

I would want no part of trying to hit the fringe. Anything short is in the trap and double or worse is in play. If the lie is good, I'd take a 58* right at the hole. I don't get much roll out with that club, so there is a good chance I'd have a reasonable putt for par. A poor lie and it would be a little less loft and a firm chip at the pin, which would probably mean no worse than bogey.

Take my 56* open it up and attempt getting it somewhere near the middle of the green for an attempt for 2 putts for a bogey

Back