Some gorgeous fish! I went looking for a new fly rod a few days ago. I haven't decided on anything yet but I want to pick out something that I can use on open water along with some Creek/river fishing. I'm not in a hurry to get one because hunting season will take up my outdoors time until the begining of the year but I would like to get it before the springtime.

Got out on Saturday and fished the Yampa River in Steamboat Springs for the first time and had a real good time. I had forgotten my waders so I ended up trudging through the snow banks in jeans and canvas sneakers ? lol. Landed this beauty toward the end of the day. Measured out at 18"

6887c08de3a235337f06eb70bfae9346.jpg

What a beauty dude, the buds are beginning to pop here and I'm getting the itch.

What a beauty dude, the buds are beginning to pop here and I'm getting the itch.
Wont be long! We had such a long warm spell that getting out on the water made too much sense.

Is there a closed season on trout where you are?

Wont be long! We had such a long warm spell that getting out on the water made too much sense.

Is there a closed season on trout where you are?

No just too cold really. I used to fish every chance I got but over the last few years the cold started getting to me lol, getting old sucks plus I've busted my butt too many times climbing rocks in the winter lol. We have mostly plunge pool water and lots of steep rocky terrain to get around.

That makes sense. Bushwhackin is a lot tougher when you have snow and cold workin against you. I certainly dont rock hop as well as i used to either lol

Is there anyone in here in the DFW area, would love to learn and just need to some direction on how to get started, where to go in DFW. Thanks

Is there anyone in here in the DFW area, would love to learn and just need to some direction on how to get started, where to go in DFW. Thanks
Not sure that area has many legit flyfishers since the sport is classically associated with trout but dont let that stop you.

Flyfishing for warm water species is a blast too, and starting by throwing terrestrial dry flies for sunfish and bream is a great introduction. Look for casting instruction vids on youtube will give you a good base to get the fly to fish and the fish in your net. Then you can move to throwing frog poppers and streamers for bass and other local species.

I can help you with picking out gear if you want, too. Start up costs vary so if you give me a budget amount, I can put together the items you would need to get casting. At a minimum, it'll be about $300 for a decent entry level setup.

Let me know how i can help further.

I love fishing warm water fish on the fly!!! My memory of fly fishing was with my grandpa, a 2wt rod, and some terrestrials fishing for Blue Gills on an inland lake!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Black caddis are hatching in the drift less, not something you wanna miss, but alas, I don't have time to get out.

I haven't been out much this year, but I am really pondering a run up to northern MI soon to wet a line. The Hex spinners should be falling any day now

I haven't been out much this year, but I am really pondering a run up to northern MI soon to wet a line. The Hex spinners should be falling any day now

Our rivers are completely blown out for another few weeks. Go get you some!

I have been seeing some pictures of some large Browns being landed and the itch is kicking up full blast lol

I have been seeing some pictures of some large Browns being landed and the itch is kicking up full blast lol

Hogger pics will do that! I need the water here to drop another couple of feet and Im in the middle of hogger time myself. Thank goodness I have golf to tide me over haha

Hogger pics will do that! I need the water here to drop another couple of feet and Im in the middle of hogger time myself. Thank goodness I have golf to tide me over haha

I hear ya there, it's been pretty dry here this summer thus far, first rain is going to get these rivers booming. I had read a report last week that our Michigan DNR was thinking about starting a Grayling plant to bring back the original Michigan Native Trout

I hear ya there, it's been pretty dry here this summer thus far, first rain is going to get these rivers booming. I had read a report last week that our Michigan DNR was thinking about starting a Grayling plant to bring back the original Michigan Native Trout

Grayling in Michigan? I thought they were only at higher elevations. Thats pretty cool if it works

Grayling in Michigan? I thought they were only at higher elevations. Thats pretty cool if it works

So originally grayling were native in Michigan, and like most things the early settlers completely destroyed the population to a point that they eventually were no more. I am hoping that they start these in the higher parts of Michigan( The U.p.) and start to work their way south after that. There is nothing I would love more than to be able to save 5 grand and catch a dream fish in my home state lol

What a great spot. My greatest non-golf passion is seeking out rushing streams in parks and forests. Not even to fish. Just to gawk -- and hop some boulders.

Had nobody to golf with in Denver yesterday coupled with some brutal traffic on I-70 going into the mountain so I decided to get lost in the mountains and find a spot to fish. After a couple of hours traversing some pretty gnarly single lane dirt roads, I stumbled up South Boulder Creek near the Historic Moffat Railroad Tunnel.

I only fished here for about 20 minutes and caught one small brownie.

e9e45f797c9181f5c1f0c350f4c3902a.jpg

Next, I headed farther north and found Middle Boulder Creek at the base of Indian Peaks Wilderness. This spot was right in my wheelhouse so I fished it for a couple of hours. I caught a pile of nice brookies and a few cutts too.

This is maybe the prettiest brookie I've caught

1105727328b99e9521bae07b2a84932e.jpg

d5606706ae399c1550b5a096207e42a9.jpg

1f2d5b9517b210e482d1dda4c3e68c64.jpg

95b31b8d7456a890a62dc170a9a64a85.jpg

e116177f86dc0dee410eae3edbdeb04f.jpg

fc0587c6eab0f53ffffa0ef007ffe3bb.jpg

8243314727b4d2eca37fe746b389cb5e.jpg

For an audible, this was a heck of a good trip!

What a great spot. My greatest non-golf passion is seeking out rushing streams in parks and forests. Not even to fish. Just to gawk -- and hop some boulders.
Thanks! I know what you mean about gawking at moving water. Me and my brother were crazy about it growing up. My parents would let us somewhat map out out family vacation routes and we would pick the route that crossed the most rivers and streams. Haha.

These days, I just love randomly driving a dirt road into the mountains and finding places to fish. That post you quoted was exactly that. So, so much fun!

Went fishing yesterday after golf to one of my favorite little secret brookie spots. Our rivers and streams are mosty blown out right now but I know that the headwaters of this stream are below the current snow melt line so I figured that the water would be good.

Last time I fished here, the fish averaged 7-9 inches with fish up to 12" possible. There used to be a jeep trail down to the stream that we and others used to party and camp at years ago. The forest service has since closed that road and the field we camped in is almost completely overgrown. This has apparently protected the fish population because the fish have gotten bigger.

I caught almost 2 dozen fish in a few hours, with most in the 9-11 inch range and a few bigger and a few smaller. Its a really tight stream for the most part, but the fish are eager to strike if you can get your fly to them. Most caught on top as well.

67e6cc2a5c3afe95651e26b80a4aa752.jpg
64081d7f333b06856a1c5e35bf3aaea7.jpg
551ad108465ae70c1d74f072237cb479.jpg
353b2e83a83bddab97753995f0def634.jpg
0f3d177c6015eeb82a79b1dc2c528324.jpg
0226b00d24880cf6568af26f1986dff9.jpg
914ac0f419f2796862fa806475b0040c.jpg

Indeed! I would always crane my neck for as far as I could hold it whenever crossing a stream or a brook as a kid when my dad would take me to exotic places that had hills. (I grew up on Long Island, where the tallest point is 399 feet above sea level.) And should the road have actually traced the course of that moving body of water, I was absolutely transfixes and didn't want to miss a single rapid visually!

Thanks! I know what you mean about gawking at moving water. Me and my brother were crazy about it growing up. My parents would let us somewhat map out out family vacation routes and we would pick the route that crossed the most rivers and streams. Haha.

These days, I just love randomly driving a dirt road into the mountains and finding places to fish. That post you quoted was exactly that. So, so much fun!

Fished the green drake hatch just before dusk after finishing golf and landed 4.

Got one on a stonefly nymph before the fish started rising then 3 more on the drake dry.

The best part of the drake hatch is that the piggies feed readily from the surface. Caught two 15" browns, a 16" rainbow, and a fat 18" rainbow.

What a satisfying day!

I've always wanted to take up fly fishing and we have some amazing places for it here in Utah, I just can't find the time for one more hobby. :crying:

Have a friend in the area that came here to fish so Ive put the golf clubs down for a few days.

Went up the Fryingpan River yesterday after work and had a blast. Hatches are in full swing and the fish are readily feeding on the surface all day long. I landed about 20 fish, mostly browns with a few rainbow in this stretch with this one wonderful little surprise...

A cutthroat!
0c9d621da491b184cc8f56a42c28e73a.jpg

We have cutthroat around here but there arent that many and few on this stretch of river. All in all, an amazing evening. Gawd, I love it here!

Looks like you have been getting out a lot lately, wish I could have done the same. I have spent all of my spare time prepping for #TheCup, once the cup is over I will be going on a trip for some Stream Therapy

Have a friend in the area that came here to fish so Ive put the golf clubs down for a few days.

Went up the Fryingpan River yesterday after work and had a blast. Hatches are in full swing and the fish are readily feeding on the surface all day long. I landed about 20 fish, mostly browns with a few rainbow in this stretch with this one wonderful little surprise...

A cutthroat!
0c9d621da491b184cc8f56a42c28e73a.jpg

We have cutthroat around here but there arent that many and few on this stretch of river. All in all, an amazing evening. Gawd, I love it here!

Back