The THP Range/Practice Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
still say over the top. But I'm hitting the ball nice and straight. Working when I have time not to be steep like this

After my last round, I need some serious range time on longer irons and hybrids again. I was hooking it badly for a while yesterday, and I suspect it was due to not extending through the target and getting quick - "swiping at it", for lack of a better phrase, and likely introducing an OTT move. I had it going pretty nicely a few weeks back focusing on extending through the target and turning the hips, so I'm going to try to get back to basics and hit a bunch of balls with that in mind.

Spent a solid 2 hours at the range, chipping area, and practice green today. Hit a bucket aiming at the greens there and then off the tee. Seems like I got a little work to do after a month layoff. Hopefully I can get some motivation in the Michigan outing and then maybe the Gauntlet.

Solid work today. A half bucket was there when I got to the range so I started with it and then finished my bucket. Irons is the focus right now. Took the XR Pros out to battle against my DPCs.

There were guys from the college golf team out there and I saw how smooth they were swinging and that was the only swing thought I had today. Smooth. Improved my contact and ball flight so much. Rolled a lot of putts in today, too. Just a really good session.

After finishing my bucket, headed over to the green to work on chipping with my 54*. I've had a lot of success with it lately so I'm thinking about dropping the 58* for good, except for when I really need to hoist one up in the air. Worked on getting up and down from different areas with different landing spots.

Had a playing lesson today - more like jumping around the course to hit different shots.
Driver - I still am not very good with my alignment. Also, my swing thought needs to change, so I don't fear the big fade/slice.
Irons - alignment. I almost jarred a PW from 132 today, ball was 6 inches from its mark, which was within 2" of the cup.
Then spend the last 10 min chipping with my 54 (usually I use my 60), with pretty good results - not one fat shot, not one shot short of the green, only five balls were further than 6 ft from the hole (my goal is always to get the ball within 6 ft of the hole).
Will hit the range tomorrow for iron practice, focusing on alignment and new swing thought, then driver with the mystery Px shaft.

Late to the range tonight so quickly went thru the bucket and no time for drills. Ball striking was decent but not as good as my round on Saturday. Pitch shots with wedges were great but on the opposite end of the bag the driver was inconsistent. Then again I leave driver for the end and I'm a bit tired after 90+ swings in this humidity. I need to mix it up again and bring more variety to the club selections.

Late to the range tonight so quickly went thru the bucket and no time for drills. Ball striking was decent but not as good as my round on Saturday. Pitch shots with wedges were great but on the opposite end of the bag the driver was inconsistent. Then again I leave driver for the end and I'm a bit tired after 90+ swings in this humidity. I need to mix it up again and bring more variety to the club selections.

Try going driver first and then switching to 8 iron for 5 or so swings and then back to driver.

The THP Range/Practice Thread

c554cd11b17cb74557838f9f34311f9e.jpg
got to play again today. And after some more online feedback from my pro my address has really improved. On the right I feel more natural now and feel like I can swing freely with no problems. Starting to hit some good shots my last 2 rounds and I'm thinking the improved setup is a big part of it. Something I will always have to monitor but if I'm happy and hitting it good it will be all worth it. It's getting fun again
Something as simple as an address change can make a huge difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

90 holes the last two days, also 6 range bags...granted some of those were just for testing/monitor purposes but it counts. I've also spent 30 each day chipping and 15 putting. It feels good to see that little extra translate to the course like it did today, my touch is getting exponentially better than it has ever been, which those who have played with me know is a big deal.

Off the tee I've been struggling, my swing has been WAY too long with the driver and its getting me in bad spots and having weight shift issues. I noticed this morning when I was pounding mini 1.5 off the deck on the range for fun, that my swing is much more compact with it, and realized it starts in how I swing (how I think when I swing it). Its simple, I think about starting with the right shoulder, and replacing the right shoulder with the left. Impossible, yes, but it gets me to TURN my shoulders and not just whip my arms way the hell back and up beyond parallel. I killed it off the tee for 45 holes with this thought, more compact move, better use of energy, more distance.

Silly game, and I love it.

After yesterday's lesson, today was a practice day.
Putting - as much as I practice putting, I still am not very good with distance control. Worked on that today, with two balls, rolling anywhere from 4 ft to 75 ft. Got better, left a bunch of 20+ ft putts in gimmie range.
Bunker play, 10 yd chip, 15 yd pitch shots over a bunker to a short pin. Good but not great results. Better than I had been, tho.
To the range - working on a new swing thought, started drawing the ball (which was the anticipated result). Lost none hard right.
Tested the Project X "test" driver shaft, results in the feedback thread.
Then, back to putting. I need to concentrate on hitting firm shots in the 4-8 ft range, rather than babying the ball into the hole.

Putting today, with all the ridiculous stormy weather out. Noticed the past couple rounds I was getting really "stabby" with the putter. Got back to a smoother follow through.

This junky putting mat is starting to get wear spots on it from the repetition. Gotta start looking for something better.

After my volleyball match, I stopped at the home course for some time on the putting green.

Got over an hour in putting g practice, mainly work on putts from 5-6 feet.

Have no idea what the name of this drill is, but absolutely love it.

c39ba495fe30625e137e5d25f468770b.jpg

After my volleyball match, I stopped at the home course for some time on the putting green.

I love that green and their short game practice setup.

Back to the cure ore still rolling that 1wide?

I love that green and their short game practice setup.

Back to the cure ore still rolling that 1wide?
Was rolling both tonight.

Absolutely love the practice greens there and had them both to myself.

Hit the short game area to practice my horrible putting I had last round. I was putting so well today, unsure why last round I had my worst putting experience with 8 or 9 three putts. Both chipping and putting went well, spent around 2 hours there

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

I got out to the range yesterday. It was the first time swinging a club in a few weeks--it was awesome to be back out there. My biggest issue has been my driver, either with a big push or slice. I noticed I was taking the club away on an outside path, so putt some tees on the ground forcing me to take the club back more to the inside and saw some better results right away.

You are practicing a variant of the clock drill. Great putting practice drill - I do it every time I practice on the green!!

You are practicing a variant of the clock drill. Great putting practice drill - I do it every time I practice on the green!!

I like it the drill alot and need to spend more time with it!

Replace the right shoulder with the left.

Amazing.

Had a good chat with Panda o this old school thought and why it's working for me, and boy is it. More shoulder rotation, less arms, and a more compact and powerful swing. Love.

Can you say more about this? Not following

Can you say more about this? Not following

Physically, one can't do it, but its a great mental thought for someone like me who tends to make my backswing with my arms, get past vertical, get stuck, and have to fling it in steep and pray I close the face.

Its basically thinking about starting the backswing with the right shoulder, and wanting to replace the right with the left (full shoulder turn, left ends up where right starts). Like I said, physically it impossible to do, but it forces me to TURN and then limits my arms so my swing is more compact, not past vertical, and no power leak on the downswing.

Simple thought for me, which is 1000 times better than 15 different thoughts like I fall into the trap of. Same thought through all of my clubs for me.

Had a short session working on the wedges from 115 and in. It was kind of odd as I was making good contact but kept coming up about 10 yards short on everything. Im scratching my head on the distance loss but I was hitting them straight and with some solid trajectory.

I finished it off with some chips and putting.

Replace the right shoulder with the left.

Amazing.

Had a good chat with Panda o this old school thought and why it's working for me, and boy is it. More shoulder rotation, less arms, and a more compact and powerful swing. Love.

Interestingly enough, I have this swing thought in reverse as part of my downswing. I have a bad habit of not staying behind the ball and when my front shoulder is at the transition point, I think to leave my head there until the back shoulder "replaces" it. The goal is to try and get my arms out of the swing since I can really get "armsy" if I get lazy.

Got in 1.5 hours of chipping and putting tonight. From a chipping perspective focused on chips where I had hort side myself,l and finished up with chipping across the green.

Putting, I did the clock drill from 5-6 feet and then worked on long putts challenging myself to no more than a 2 putt.

Had a FANTASTIC range session tonight after a horrible round last night. Wasn't thinking about much to start warming up other than just staying with the smooth tempo. Once I had that tempo grooved I got to work. Went through my normal routine up through the bag and was striking the ball better than I have in a couple weeks. Now that I have a little event for motivation, I'll be living at the range now. Nothing more satisfying than watching the ball flight you envision before taking the swing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back