Tips for playing a match against a much better player

Remember that the better golfer could care less what you are doing or what your score is as long as you have basic golf etiquette figured out. I played today and shot 1 under and the next best score in my foursome was 97. Relax and play your own game and don't worry about how others are perceiving you. None of us are mind readers so whatever you think others are thinking about you, you're probably wrong.

First, negotiate the hell out of him. Ask him for strokes, the sun, the moon and the stars. Many games are won on the negotiation table even before the game has started. Don't try anything too under handed or you might be out of a job the next day. But everyone has a chance to negotiate. Disagree with him if he gives you too little.

Once the game starts, just play your game. Never mind if all of his drives are much further than yours. Try making pars, and do no worse than bogey. Aspire to be putting for par every time you reach the green.

Since you already lost 6-3, which is a huge upset, ask for more strokes from him before the next game. I guess you should be asking for at least 3 strokes more given the odds.

Good luck.

Last edited:
This thread is from 2010, I hope the OP got his answer :alien:

"What you've got to do is cut the hamstring on the back of his leg right at the bottom. He'll never play golf again, because his weight displacement goes back, all his weight is on his right foot, and he'll push everything off to the right. He'll never come through on anything. He'll quit the game." -Carl Spackler

That quote cannot be requoted too many times.

My experience in company golf outings, always best to let the boss win, just don't make it too obvious. Wonder if the OP still has the same boss.

Back