Breed on golf balls

Badger_Golfer

Reaction score
Handicap
Anybody else notice lately on The Golf Fix that Breed has been pushing that the Pro V1 is for everyone and that you should select your ball based upon how it performs on the approach shot and that off the tee doesnt matter? He turns into more and more of a Titleist company man every day, it seems. I just wish he wouldnt be giving bad advice to a mass audience who believe everything he says and dont know better that its little more than a Titleist ad.

He's been doing that for a long time.

He is sponsored by Titleist.
I agree though, while a great product, I dont think anybody should take equipment advice like that when so many fitting options and testing options are available to the masses right now.

Everytime I see that guy I want to punch him in his perpetually botox grinning face.

Funny, I like a ball that doesn't spin as much. #prov1xpleasedonthateme!

I still like him though. He's peppy.

I like him, but yes he has become a big pitchman for Titleist. Since he's on staff though I somewhat expect that.

It's good that he's doing that. So more old geezers buy them, and lose them. So I can find them.:D

Good rep. I notice he always faces his irons to the camera so you clearly see titelist.

swing your swing

It's good that he's doing that. So more old geezers buy them, and lose them. So I can find them.:D

YEP! I get about 10-30 golf balls a week from my F-I-L who finds them on walks. For awhile, I had a gallon size bag full of ProV1 and ProV1x, unfortunately they have all made their way back into the woods or water. Lately I have been getting a mainly of Bridgestone and some Pinnacle, Callaway, and Nike. Getting all sorts of random balls like this does give me an opportunity to try a bunch out and find what I like.

Absotively... Love playing in the afternoon after a Saturday morning scramble. There have been several at home course the last few weeks. I think I have found 8 or 9 PRov's, a couple nice Bridgestones & a Lethal...

YEP! I get about 10-30 golf balls a week from my F-I-L who finds them on walks. For awhile, I had a gallon size bag full of ProV1 and ProV1x, unfortunately they have all made their way back into the woods or water. Lately I have been getting a mainly of Bridgestone and some Pinnacle, Callaway, and Nike. Getting all sorts of random balls like this does give me an opportunity to try a bunch out and find what I like.

My F-I-L hooks me up too. He plays twice a week and is usually ball hawking. Just got 4 dozen from him.

I watch the Golf Fix regularly, and I think Michael Breed offers some great instructional tips, especially when he comments on videos of amateur swings that contain faults that many of us have. I also like his enthusiasm.

But yes, he does seem to be a shill for Titleist, which is expected given that he's on staff. So like most things, you have to discern what advice is good advice, and what to take with a grain of salt.

Company man wanting to get paid...maybe he has a deal where each time he mentions a Titleist product on air he gets a little extra kick back? They aren't for everyone, that's for sure. Finding the correct ball isn't as hard as people think, but the more Pro V's are lost the more we all find, so I guess it's all good. ha ha
I like Mike just fine, it's a fun show to watch in most cases. He knows his stuff for sure, and like Hawk said, he's peppy.

Swing advice...pay attention to him, he's helped my short game a LOT. Equipment advice...just realize where it's comming from and take it as such.

Not a new thing for The Golf Fix. Unfortnately, people like to think that just because they love something, it's perfect for everyone else.

I often think ball fitting focuses too much on the driver IMO. Its a great ball but fitting needs to find a balance between the two.

He does always subtly hint at fitting the prov1 or prov1x for everyone. It can get a little distracting when he's got the titleist display next to him when he talks about ball fitting, but he doesn't necessarily give bad info. I've often heard him suggest don't just think about compression but also short irons, around the green, and putting when picking a ball. Start your trials with the ball near the green. Hit shots to see how they hold the green or spin. See how your chips check up. Hear the sound off the putter. If a given ball performs really well in those areas, it may be worth the little distance you give up on one ball for another.

Everyone has there own thought on what makes a good fitting, the approach shot perspective doesn't bother me. Obviously the ProV line is a very good product. What bothers me is the marketing they just keep forcing the ProV's as being best for everyone. What about the NXT or velocity line?

I was going to post this when I saw it a couple weeks ago. I can KIND OF see his point about working backwards but you have to be in the damn fairway first so a spinny ball might be horrible for you. His theory is that some folks can get more distance BECAUSE of the spin....backspin getting the ball airborne. Let's not worry about potential SIDE spin.

Shills! SMH

tapt

I was going to post this when I saw it a couple weeks ago. I can KIND OF see his point about working backwards but you have to be in the damn fairway first so a spinny ball might be horrible for you. His theory is that some folks can get more distance BECAUSE of the spin....backspin getting the ball airborne. Let's not worry about potential SIDE spin.

Shills! SMH

tapt

Nothing wrong with that mentality, outside the fact that most amateur golfers will not see as much difference in spin around the greens in urethane covered balls, as they will with the most violent impact swing.

If you tested every single urethane covered golf ball, you would see small differences among many of them.
If you tested every urethane covered golf ball, you would see much larger differences off the tee.

I think Breed does a lot of great things for the game and tons of great tips and instruction, but you have to understand that he has sponsorship deals with Titliest, Golf Pride and SkyCaddie....when he talks about those items take it for what it's worth...a commercial endorsement.

I have no problem with a Titleist sponsored personality recommending their products.

When I have a problem is when box stores with guys randomly recommending them when knowing nothing about the person they are recommending them to.

I did the ProV1 thing for a couple years (always used mind you), but am much happier playing the Qstar that is half the price, and suits my game better.

Its about educating yourself, and when that education saves you a ton of dough on a dozen balls, then it is even sweeter.

I don't think there's anything wrong with working backwards from the green to an extent. Obviously you're never going to consider a ball you can't even keep in play. Once you're down to a handful of options, how a ball deals with your scoring irons or putter might be worth the little difference in distance. I've eliminated a couple of balls from contention in my bag because I didn't like the feel and sound off the putter.

As for Breed, he's probably fitting guys who are competitive players who are looking to play golf for a living. Greenside performance is a larger focus since they all have the requisite distance and control off the tee to play any ball. He could probably stand to have a few more disclaimers whenever he's talking about that stuff to the general public.

Back