Play this hole.... you decide

5w off the tee for me. Should leave a 75-110 yard shot depending on location of pin and how well I strike it.

I stink at golf.

If I'm playing smart, I'd pull out a hybrid, laying up to 110 or so out in the middle of the fairway. Then I'd hit a PW onto the green and two putt for a par. If I hit a really great approach shot, I might make a birdie. If I hit a really poor approach, then I'd have to chip and one putt to save par.

On a normal day, I'd probably pull the driver, and promptly hit to the next fairway. Then I'd end up sitting 3 on the green and have a bogey. I'd just be glad that I didn't start with a double.

Regardless of the number though, I'd be tickled to death that I was out playing.

I think I would take 3W off the tee leaving me with a half 56 into the green and hopefully a birdie.

Are you good at the half 56 yard shots? Reason I ask is that most people have less confidence in these than a full shot.

Are you good at the half 56 yard shots? Reason I ask is that most people have less confidence in these than a full shot.

It is a feel shot for me. I know from that distance I am at least on the green. I also oddly enough have more confidence with that 3W than the hybo. I would expect with a half 56 to par that hole at worst, and have a decent shot for birdie.

For me a full swing wedge brings a bad pull into play which tends to be my miss with wedges.

I'd be with him on the half shot. I'm much more comfortable with that vs a full shot with my 54 or 58. I think it's because of the added weight with the wedges vs my regular irons.

It is a feel shot for me. I know from that distance I am at least on the green. I also oddly enough have more confidence with that 3W than the hybo. I would expect with a half 56 to par that hole at worst, and have a decent shot for birdie.

For me a full swing wedge brings a bad pull into play which tends to be my miss with wedges.

I'd be with him on the half shot. I'm much more comfortable with that vs a full shot with my 54 or 58. I think it's because of the added weight with the wedges vs my regular irons.

Interesting, cause that is not the norm for most. I just dont' practice that half shot as much as I do the full shot. Doesn't mean I don't find myself with that half shot on a course but just more confident with the 100 yard shot than the 50 yard shot.

Interesting, cause that is not the norm for most. I just dont' practice that half shot as much as I do the full shot. Doesn't mean I don't find myself with that half shot on a course but just more confident with the 100 yard shot than the 50 yard shot.

I'm probably more comfortable at 100 vs 50 as well. However, 100 would nearly be a full swing with my 54. At that distance I use the GW from my iron set and take a ~3/4 swing.

I love the thought going into this. Golf is so interesting and planning is mostly so elusive. I sometimes sit by the first tee and watch for an hour or so. It is fun and actually helpful to my game. I
d say about 85% of those teeing off don't give it thought. They pull out the big stick, give the ball a whack and worry about the 2nd shot when they get there. Consequently, this... the easiest rated hole on the course gets maybe 10% birdies, 40% pars, and 50% other.

The guys with the birdies rarely hit driver. It's 3 wood or iron down around 100 to 80 yards left, and PW or SW or Gap to the green. Some get closer and use 56/50. It is a table top green, elevated in front and undulating, so on in two for birdie can often come down to the putt.

I'm headed out to Eagles Pride to meet another THPer for a round of golf. Tonite we'll play the 2nd hole. It's a 157 yard Par 3, so think about your plan and she if it holds up when I post the hole.

Later... have a great day.

If the hole is set up as indicated, I'll probably take either 2h or 3W, depending on the wind, and leave myself 100 yards, give or take. Then depending on the pin position, I'm hitting either PW or 52* into the green.

Depending on the wind conditions, I am going to pull driver (with wind) or 4 iron (against). At worst I have a SW into the green, at best I am around the green with an up 'n down birdie chance.

While 2 or 3 is tempting, so is making sure I don't walk off the green with more than 4. I'd not want to start my round angry that I let a short hole get the best of me. 200yd club off the tee, 100yd club in. Try and hit a good wedge shot to give myself a makeable birdie putt but taking 5 out of play (unless I'm just putting fantastic to start the round)

This hole looks like the perfect reason to keep my driver in the bag. I'd hit between a 6i and 4i depending on the wind and have nothing more than an 8i in, preferably a PW in. Too many bad things could happen as my miss with a driver and 3w are to the right.

While 2 or 3 is tempting, so is making sure I don't walk off the green with more than 4. I'd not want to start my round angry that I let a short hole get the best of me. 200yd club off the tee, 100yd club in. Try and hit a good wedge shot to give myself a makeable birdie putt but taking 5 out of play (unless I'm just putting fantastic to start the round)

Your gonna make a good MC Captain!

That's the smart play. If I were that confident with my approach shots from say 150-100, I would play most every hole this way outside of long par 4s. With par 5's, I'd just play every single one to get there in 3.

Unfortunately between being a shorter player, and just sucking, I can't always play the smart way. Sometimes the driver's got to come out, and sometimes simple 100 yard wedge shots end up in an adjacent bunker which can create a big number.

Ahh, such is the life of a hack.

That's the smart play. If I were that confident with my approach shots from say 150-100, I would play most every hole this way outside of long par 4s. With par 5's, I'd just play every single one to get there in 3.

Unfortunately between being a shorter player, and just sucking, I can't always play the smart way. Sometimes the driver's got to come out, and sometimes simple 100 yard wedge shots end up in an adjacent bunker which can create a big number.

Ahh, such is the life of a hack.

Doesn't always have to be the 100yd club though. I just like mine because I can hit it consistently 100yds and it's hard to hook haha. Same could be said about your 7 or 8i no? Go 150/150 into it and see if your results are any better. It's all trial and error as to what works best for you. I've gone 8i/7i off a short par 4 because I didn't have the confidence in any other club for a while. Get a bit of positive feeling in your step, the scores will come down.

Nate - No worry, I'll find a way to mess up hole 2 at True Blue. Woof.

I would take my driver and try to get it as far out there along the right side as I could, probably leaving myself with 60-40 yards depending on the wind.

When I am hitting my driver well its straight or fading 10yds, if it gets out of shape then its 20yds to a slice. I hit every other club straight and I don't play to full club distances, I'm more of a feel player.
I take driver, hit it at the big tree, watch it slide by and depending on how well I caught it I'm pulling out a wedge or putter. 2nd shot is getting it close for a gimme birdie putt or par at worst.

Hit driver with the plan of being on or around the green. If there's no danger/hazard around the green, I'm hitting driver all day on that hole.

I know right. This course does special things. It has been featured on the Golf Channel. If you you tube Jack Nicklaus American Lake Veteran Golf Course you can see more about it. Pretty cool stuff.
I like how you casually throw in, "I talked with Jack..........."
Oh yea, him, oh that's just my mate Jack. :handshake:

I would take a 6i and leave around 130-140 for my 2nd shot. Then take a 9i or pw and 3 putt for a bogey. A course I play has a similar hole like this but just about 20 yards longer and I mess it up every time I play it.

I'd take either a 5i or my 21° hybrid and leave myself 125-95 yards. Nice tidy little fade off the tee and place a wedge as close as possible.

My serious answer is:

If I am hitting my 3W well during warm up, I hit that about 200-220 and then hit either my PW or 56 degree wedge nice and easy and have a decent chance at a two putt (lately I have been sticking those 75 yard shots within 20 feet of the pin). I have a tendency to slice my woods when I am not swinging well and I could get in trouble the way this hole is laid out (I am a left).

If my 3W is all over the place during warm up, I go with a 3H and hit it about 180-190, and then take a 9i to the green for a possible two put.

It is hard for me to get my club selection correct for the second shot right now because as I have gotten better at this game my yardage has gone way, way up. E.g., the other day I hit my 3W 269 yards measured by GPS (I was on the tee box on the hole behind my house and was so shocked I actually went inside the house, got my GPS, and came back and measured the shot); I have hit that 3H 215 a few times, but it is usually shorter than that; my 7i has gone from 145 to 160, etc. Three weeks ago I completely overshot a green from 115 yards out with a pitching wedge. Normally that is a 95-100 yard club for me, and I bet I hit it 130 (and it went nice and high like a PW should).

Getting more comfortable with the golf swing and doing some golf exercises is paying big dividends for me.

Doesn't always have to be the 100yd club though. I just like mine because I can hit it consistently 100yds and it's hard to hook haha. Same could be said about your 7 or 8i no? Go 150/150 into it and see if your results are any better. It's all trial and error as to what works best for you. I've gone 8i/7i off a short par 4 because I didn't have the confidence in any other club for a while. Get a bit of positive feeling in your step, the scores will come down.

You are correct sir. I'm most comfortable with the 100 yard and 80 yard shots. I can hit a 3/4s PW and Niblick 49 respectively and can typically be close to the flag. Now, I can obviously hit one poorly (particularly as a hack) or the wind can catch it (happened to me last round and blew it 20 yards offline), but for the most part playing to 100 or 80 yards is a smart move for me.

I'm doing that more and more and my scores have been dropping despite my swing regressing a bit. Better course management has definitely led to better scoring.

I don't quite play smart enough, particularly early in a round. That's why I admit that on most days, I'd probably hit driver on this hole on #1 with probably a 60% chance of getting in trouble right. Later in a round, if I'm having a bad driving day, I would take my medicine and hit the hybrid.

My next round, I'm actually going to not hit my driver or FW (except for one long par 3 where I need the FW to get there). I suspect I'll score about the same, but it will be interesting to see if I actually go lower. I am pretty confident and comfortable with my hybrids.

I typically hit a baby fade with my driver and I don't carry 300. I pull my driver and start it out middle-left fairway and let it do it's thing. If I execute I'll take my lob wedge from anywhere around the front half of the green.

Back