Play this hole.... you decide

4i about 205-210 off the tee, starting down the tree line and drawing back. Then hitting 56* wedge in.

Depending in the breeze I'm either hitting driver or 3deep. I expect I'll have an eagle chip or putt but walk away with no less than birdie

X2. From a 25 ft high tee box, I would think that the tree would be minimized, especially if you hit a high ball.

I wouldn't even mess with a 3 wood. I think driver is my play everyday on this type of hole. If you roll it into the bank, it would be an easy chip. If you fly onto the green, even if it runs off the back, still an easy chip.

My home course has a few risk reward holes that are similar.

Driving iron to about 100, then wedge close and tap in birdie :)

Since it is the 1st hole, I am going to use a 4h off the tee. I feel real comfortable and consistant with that choice. I'm aiming for the right of Jack's tree or the treeline to the right. My 2nd, is a full PW to the front of the green. Birdie is great but I would be content with par; knowing that I always have first hole jitters.

I would hit it straight into Jack's Tree, mutter under my breath but be secretly grateful I am on the correct fairway and not away on the adjacent hole or OB. From there I would muff a 4H thinking I need to hit the ball with everything I've got, the ball would roll about twenty yards and I would hit it again with the same club because I was flustered and not thinking straight. This time I hit it clean, and overshoot the green. I somehow manage to get on the green in four with a beautiful wedge shot from way down in the thick stuff. It will be e only shot like this I make all round.. After that it is a two or three putt, probably a three. That is how I guess I would end up playing the hole! LOL!!!

NOW you're talking MY game !!! I tend to use the same strategy.

I like how you casually throw in, "I talked with Jack..........."
Oh yea, him, oh that's just my mate Jack. :handshake:

Actually... that is exactly the attitude everyone here has when Jack visits. He is absolutely friendly and down to earth. I only wish I got to ask him more than the one question, but there was a large crowd waiting their turn.

X2. From a 25 ft high tee box, I would think that the tree would be minimized, especially if you hit a high ball.

I wouldn't even mess with a 3 wood. I think driver is my play everyday on this type of hole. If you roll it into the bank, it would be an easy chip. If you fly onto the green, even if it runs off the back, still an easy chip.

My home course has a few risk reward holes that are similar.

If you hit driver into the bank, which many of the power hitters do, you would be in good shape, with a good short game. But you don't want to hit the green and expect to be in good shape.... because the green will not hold a 300 yard drive. It will bounce off and in the the back stop. Your chip back will be out of deep rough and at a SEVERE downward angle on the hill. Worse.... if you bounce over that hill you be around #5 green or in that bunker and your fun will cease. Coming back from there is a challenge to even the better players.

I'd play driver, figuring I'd end up with somewhere around 40ish yards left. If I happen swing well I'm right in front for an easy chip and hopefully short putt for birdie, but most likely two putt for par.

I'm really on this playing smart kick lately. I would play 5 iron off the tee and leave myself with right about 100 yards to the pin which would be 58*. A year ago I would pull my driver without even thinking twice about it and probably leave the green with a bogey or double.

On a calm day, I'm hitting driver every time. Not saying it's the smart play but it would be fun for me so I know I'd look forward to doing it. Wind in face, taking account for the speed, I'd pick a club off the tee which would best leave me 100 to 110 on my second shot.

I would go three wood regardless of the wind, I hit it about 220-225 off a tee so that puts me in perfect 54* range for my second shot. I often catch some heat from my buddies for not hitting driver on every hole but I usually end up with the lowest score so I have learned the value of playing smarter.

5 hybrid to 185, PW on the green, 2 putts

5 wood about 240-250. Little "feel" approach with my 56*

Back