Mizuno JPX-EZ Forged Irons - THP Review Thread

Go hit them. Only way to ever be sure, besides, you have some damn good irons in your bag right now.

My set is good, but for some reason I miss my previous set a little bit: JPX 850 pro.

My set is good, but for some reason I miss my previous set a little bit: JPX 850 pro.

These are a good deal different than the 850 Forged, mentioned it earlier but if one is looking for more of a blend of a players/GI profile then those are the way to look with Mizzy, these are definitely all GI.

Hit them again today. Pin hunters. Consider irons the week part of my game. Have been a ping guy, man I like these. I don't need to look for any more irons. They are long. My gw with Pings was around 100-105, these gw to 100 pin on a par 3 and was 115 with weather in the 40s.

For those curious about how they compare size wise to the 850 Forged, 7i in both:

DSC_0213-XL.jpg

DSC_0456-XL.jpg

Large improvement from the last iteration here. I'll get down and dirty on them when I get back to a laptop tonight but for now...

They launch, high, especially into the wedges, but its not a diminishing thing this time around. They feel/sound really nice on strikes with a nice dense feeling to impact. 4i was fun too, elevated nice, held the green fine on the shot I hit into one with it.

Finish wise, definitely lightening on the soles, but not a wearing OFF type of lightening. Pic of 8i to follow, but I'll snap some quality pics tomorrow of them when I wash them up.

d638f684ef40f05f95dc2d91976ce73a.jpg

I got fitted for irons over the weekend, and these came out as an option, and I really liked them. I got fitted into KBS Tour V X Stiff soft stepped (No idea what that means, but the fitter changes it to standard Stiff). I hit them a little better with the project X 6.5 shafts. Distance was a little better than my current clubs, but nothing too crazy. I wasn't really looking for more distance, just more distance control and feel. Probably going to give these a go.

I got fitted for irons over the weekend, and these came out as an option, and I really liked them. I got fitted into KBS Tour V X Stiff soft stepped (No idea what that means, but the fitter changes it to standard Stiff). I hit them a little better with the project X 6.5 shafts. Distance was a little better than my current clubs, but nothing too crazy. I wasn't really looking for more distance, just more distance control and feel. Probably going to give these a go.

Nice Rau, if you go that way I hope you enjoy them.

Sorry for the delay in getting some sole pics up of these, its been pretty chaotic the last couple days at home.

I'll say this, the finish is wearing, yes, but its actually wearing nicely IMO. Nothing drastic or obnoxious that I have seen in some other darker iron finishes in the past. Remember though, dark finishes WILL wear, period.

They truly got the feel right in the EZ Forged this year, it feels like a Mizuno iron. Now, given the profile and size, yes its a bit more dense than with the MP line offerings, but IMO that really is a good thing with these. Frankly they have become pretty dang addictive to hit for me.

The size profile is a decent blend for them, I've gotten more used to looking down at more offset and a thicker topline than my gamers, but its not a drastic difference which is nice. Its yet another one of those GI sets we are seeing that try to blend certain traits from smaller profiles into them so that it will appeal to a wider margin. Honestly, had Mizuno rounded the topline instead of squaring it odd I actually think they would appear a lot smaller to people than they do. That said, as you can see a couple posts up the profile is definitely bigger than the 850 Forged were, which is a good thing as they serve to hit different margins.

Performance wise, they LAUNCH. Its clear that on a personal level the XP95 isn't the best shaft for me personally, but that does not impede on seeing the traits of the set. Distance loss on account of launch has not been there like last time around, with the exception that I am seeing a pretty substantial gap from the PW to the GW, that though is likely a shaft fit thing more than anything else though. Peak height averages have been interesting, 28.2 in the 4i, 30.3 in the 7i, 32.8 in the PW, and then a really high 34.6 in the GW. Not ideal into the scoring wedges, but again, I really believe that is a fit thing based on what I am seeing from the long irons and mid irons (MUCH improved from the last version). Distances are average for what I would expect out of a standard undercut design, I'm still sitting in that 160-165 range with the 8i which is the baseline I like to see, anything less is worrisome, anything more is a bonus.

The sole is turning into the star here. Played in some SLOPPY conditions Sunday and it really handled everything I threw at it without digging, outside of crappy steep swings yielding crappy steep digging results but thats the indian and not the arrow.

A bit random of a recap, I know, but I'll have more after this weekend before I put this to paper, will be getting I believe 72 holes on them this weekend.

Random recaps usually make for the best data dumps!!

Thanks for your thoughts, James. I think a lot of golfers will benefit from their inclination to get the ball elevated.

Random recaps usually make for the best data dumps!!

Thanks for your thoughts, James. I think a lot of golfers will benefit from their inclination to get the ball elevated.

I'd love to see you hit these with the XP 95 in them, air-planes would be in danger.

For those who need the elevation help though, they definitely nail it...and WITHOUT the issues of last release. The GW issue is a bit of a concern to me, but last time that issue started at the 7i, so thats why I'm pretty convinced its a fit thing now.

Thanks for the thoughts so far James. The things that stands out is the gap in your wedges and possibly it being shaft fitting. Is the GW launching extremely high and possibly spinning too much for you to get similar results from the other clubs in the set?

have you seen similar gaps in something like a recoil 95 vs a 110?

Great stuff. It sounds like the irons do what they were designed to do and have surprised you in terms of sole interaction.

Thanks for the thoughts so far James. The things that stands out is the gap in your wedges and possibly it being shaft fitting. Is the GW launching extremely high and possibly spinning too much for you to get similar results from the other clubs in the set?

have you seen similar gaps in something like a recoil 95 vs a 110?

Oh I have no doubt its a fit thing this time around, like I said the GW is the culprit here for me this time whereas last time the issue started in the 7i and did not change even when I moved those heads to LOW launching shafts. Kind of why its not a big deal to me, but worth mentioning based on the issues with the first version of the EZ Forged. They've fixed them significantly as far as I'm concerned.

Spin data I have recorded (150 or so swings through the set) but I haven't delved into that data just yet. Soon I hope, should have some time to kill while I travel a bit this weekend.

Oh I have no doubt its a fit thing this time around, like I said the GW is the culprit here for me this time whereas last time the issue started in the 7i and did not change even when I moved those heads to LOW launching shafts. Kind of why its not a big deal to me, but worth mentioning based on the issues with the first version of the EZ Forged. They've fixed them significantly as far as I'm concerned.

Spin data I have recorded (150 or so swings through the set) but I haven't delved into that data just yet. Soon I hope, should have some time to kill while I travel a bit this weekend.

Thanks. It's nice to get an understanding of what/why something is happening. Will be looking forward to your data

I got to hit a few shots with these last week out of a playing partners bag.

I currently play CB3s which I love, but WOW did these feel sweet. Appeared to launch just a tad bit higher, possibly a touch further, and felt really smooth coming off the face. This was all eye test of course, no real numbers but they felt awesome. He was fit to Nippon NS 950's, not sure how much they had to do with the honeymoon phase of a few swings but they seemed to do my eye and swing pretty well. Top line appears a touch chunkier than the CB3 that I placed next to it but it is certainly not a drastic change in look standing over them. I would give these a hard look if I wasn't headed to Cali in a few short weeks. Mizuno has never really crossed my mind having never really been exposed to them, but a few swings changed that just a little for the future.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Working on this review today, thought I would bump this up and see fi anyone had any specific questions? Ddec may also be able to chime in a bit as he hit them next to the non forged this past weekend.

Just wondering if there were any more thoughts on these from Jman or others that had gamed them. These were top recommendation at recent fitting. They felt the best of the irons I tried (TM RS1 and Call. XR included), and provided best results.

I do like the idea of trying something besides TM or Callaway. Not crazy about price tag ($999?)...thought the 2014 versions might serve but not crazy about the orange color and read the comments about the launch issues.

Just wondering if there were any more thoughts on these from Jman or others that had gamed them. These were top recommendation at recent fitting. They felt the best of the irons I tried (TM RS1 and Call. XR included), and provided best results.

I do like the idea of trying something besides TM or Callaway. Not crazy about price tag ($999?)...thought the 2014 versions might serve but not crazy about the orange color and read the comments about the launch issues.
The review has been turned on and I believe will go up sometime next week!

IMO these are well worth the $$ difference compared to the first iteration if you're going g EZ Forged, the first set has some pretty dig if I can't design issues imo and those have been addressed here. Flight is high (31 to 34 yards peak) through the set but the spin is pretty low and that gives them a solid but of distance. Better yet they really do feel good at impact and offer some really solid lateral forgiveness. They're really solid irons.

Last edited:
The review has been turned on and I believe will go up sometime next week!

IMO these are well worth the $$ difference compared to the first iteration if you're going g EZ Forged, the first set has some pretty dig if I can't design issues imo and those have been addressed here. Flight is high (31 to 34 yards peak) through the set but the spin is pretty low and that gives them a solid but of distance. Better yet they really do feel good at impact and offer some really solid lateral forgiveness. They're really solid irons.

Thank you sir!

Any opinions on how the 2016 EZ Forged would compare with Titleist AP1s? Unfortunately, I was not able to try those at my fitting b/c I've had my eye on those. My clubs were stolen, and I need to replace entire bag (all clubs). So price is a factor. Was thinking nice used set of 714 AP1s for $400ish > than new 2016 EZ Forged in terms of club-to-cost value. The savings would help my build for other clubs needed. This assumes I hit the AP1s and like them (based on their popularity I'm thinking I will like).

Working on this review today, thought I would bump this up and see fi anyone had any specific questions? Ddec may also be able to chime in a bit as he hit them next to the non forged this past weekend.

This may have been covered earlier but I'm on Tapatalk so feel free to yell at me if it has - how do these stack up to the 850s? Those can be had pretty cheap these days and I fit me into the stock setup for those.

I believe the AP1s will have bigger profile than these.

This may have been covered earlier but I'm on Tapatalk so feel free to yell at me if it has - how do these stack up to the 850s? Those can be had pretty cheap these days and I fit me into the stock setup for those.

Ha! I would never yell at you!

Different spectrums in the lineup. Here you have a true GI, those are the tweener land of Player/GI with less offset thinner topline and sole etc.

850's are definitely more demanding (not a ton per say, but they are for sure), lower launching, and will be a bit shorter in my time reviewing both.

I actually prefer the 850's for what I want in an iron, but these are really solid.

Thank you sir!

Any opinions on how the 2016 EZ Forged would compare with Titleist AP1s? Unfortunately, I was not able to try those at my fitting b/c I've had my eye on those. My clubs were stolen, and I need to replace entire bag (all clubs). So price is a factor. Was thinking nice used set of 714 AP1s for $400ish > than new 2016 EZ Forged in terms of club-to-cost value. The savings would help my build for other clubs needed. This assumes I hit the AP1s and like them (based on their popularity I'm thinking I will like).

I will take a side by side with the 716 AP1's tonight for you!

Ha! I would never yell at you!

Different spectrums in the lineup. Here you have a true GI, those are the tweener land of Player/GI with less offset thinner topline and sole etc.

850's are definitely more demanding (not a ton per say, but they are for sure), lower launching, and will be a bit shorter in my time reviewing both.

I actually prefer the 850's for what I want in an iron, but these are really solid.

Thanks - I'm playing the i25/545 now so it seems the 850 are more along the lines of the irons I've found I've come to prefer. Thanks!

Thanks - I'm playing the i25/545 now so it seems the 850 are more along the lines of the irons I've found I've come to prefer. Thanks!

Definitely. No problemo sir!

I completely missed this thread somehow until now.

Great stuff as always JMan, they seem like something I could really fit into. But I've said that about three or four different sets lately..LOL

Back