malemotives

Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 17.4
Let's play golf.

This is hole #1 at my home course...

1236066_10151732317638401_1857569665_n.jpg

Blue dot is the tee, red dot is center green... 302 yards. Par 4

The 4 white dots are drive location I often hit.
The one to the top left is 30 yards off the green.
The other 3 are 100 to 110 yards out. One of them is on #9 fairway with pretty tall trees blocking the path. The one on the right edge of the green is in 4-5 inch rough. Usually the ball is barely visible.

Now... most big hitters look at the 302 yard distance and smile. The have eagle on the mind. The funny thing is, I have yet to see anyone hit this green, from the tee box, and stay there.

The particulars....
Tee box is elevated, 25 feet; fairway runs downhill; Green is elevated in front.... 5 ft.
Far left is OB (Driving range-high fence and net)

The rough to the left of Jacks tree is hard pan. If you it the right fade, over the tree, your ball will run to within 30 yard of the green.
Left of the cart path is deep grass rough.
To the right is the tree line separating #9 fairway. That's where the big slicers go.

When it's windy (often) it blows in your face.

Most long hitters tend to hit the bank of the raised green and bounce back on the fairway. Hooking or over driving the green is not an option, no matter how good you are.

Somehow, Jack (Nicklaus), made this opening hole look really easy... to mid to low handicappers. And it is, if it's not forced. I've seen plenty of birdies and had some myself. Have never seen an eagle. The hole is a reminder that golf is not to be taken lightly.

Jack's Tree is about 130 yards out. It looks intimidating from the tee and eats many golf balls. They fall straight down into thick rough.

My approach (2nd shot) is almost always full Gap wedge. Interestingly, I don't always make it to the green, bouncing just in front and laying 2. It's a common result for many..... like some sort of witchcraft says.... "Not on this day". It's hilarious how many balls land six inches to a foot off that green. If you bounce over, you will either stick into heavy rough on a side hill or hit hard pan and bounce into the trees, or even as far as the sand trap on #5 green, which is behind those trees.

So.... give it a look and play your best shot(s).

Last edited:
Oh and imagine if the tee box was moved way right so you have to hit a fade around the trees to the fairway. It's not uncommon to be place on that alternate tee box..

That hole is very similar to the first hole of a course that I have played here - 310yds, OB along the right and a pond to the left of the green

As it is the first hole, I would most likely be hitting anything from my 5W to a mid-iron depending on how the wind is blowing in your face and trying to put it in the middle of the fairway anywhere between 100-150yds out leaving myself with either a SW/PW or 9i into the green

Reason being - I would rather hit the middle of the fairway with my first shot of the day, especially when it is a short par 4 that won't have a long second shot (unless you top your drive about 50yds)

Great opening hole! On a calm day I'd be ripping a 3wood with a fade up the left. That area above the blue dot, is that a practice green or alternate tee box?

Great opening hole! On a calm day I'd be ripping a 3wood with a fade up the left. That area above the blue dot, is that a practice green or alternate tee box?

The area to the left of the blue dot is a practice putting green... two levels and slopes downhill. To the left of that is covered driving range which runs all the way up the left side of the fairway.

To the right of the blue dot you see a clump of trees, and opening and then another big tree. That opening is the alternate tee box. You can see the little open shoot that angle out left to the fairway. When the tee is on that box, the driving range (OB) and Jack's tree really come into play.

Further right you can see #9 green. It raised way above #9 fairway, but that another story.

I actually talked with Jack about this opening hole. His sentiments were that it would punish those who didn't respect it and reward those who eased into their round.

Depending in the breeze I'm either hitting driver or 3deep. I expect I'll have an eagle chip or putt but walk away with no less than birdie

Depending on how my swing is feeling, I could hit a 4 iron for a easy wedge shot approach, or hit driver or 3 wood for a easy chip. It's hard to tell what this hole looks like from aerial view. All golf courses look easier from top down! The course that I usually play at has serious elevation drops, valleys, the ocean, and bunkers, so this looks pretty friendly to me. Especially since I usually hit a draw and even if I put a little too much spin on it it will just land in the rough rather than the trees.

Oh.... here's another thing that happens very often.

Tee is set up on alternate tee box, which immediately invite a big slice or left handed draw, over Jacks Tree. If it works, you're chipping onto the green and putting for birdie. If it doesn't, which happen more times than not..... you hit Jack's tree and fall straight down, with a long 2nd shot out of deep rough, or worse, your ball doesn't turn and goes over the driving range fence and you're hitting 3 off the tee or in the drop area. Most choose the tee.

Some of you are lucky.... you're skilled enough to hit a fade or draw on demand. But I think guys who can do that are in the minority.

I like how you casually throw in, "I talked with Jack..........."
Oh yea, him, oh that's just my mate Jack. :handshake:

Driver or 3 wood for me depending on wind, I should be somewhere around the green for an eagle chip and birdie putt.

I would hit it straight into Jack's Tree, mutter under my breath but be secretly grateful I am on the correct fairway and not away on the adjacent hole or OB. From there I would muff a 4H thinking I need to hit the ball with everything I've got, the ball would roll about twenty yards and I would hit it again with the same club because I was flustered and not thinking straight. This time I hit it clean, and overshoot the green. I somehow manage to get on the green in four with a beautiful wedge shot from way down in the thick stuff. It will be e only shot like this I make all round.. After that it is a two or three putt, probably a three. That is how I guess I would end up playing the hole! LOL!!!

i think from the straight on tee box it would just be a matter of how well I've bee driving lately as to weather or not I'd just hit a 5w or 4iron instead. From that other tee box (lower down in the picture) it looks like a pretty heavy fade must take place. Of course even those who often slice accidently tend not to do so when wanting to do it ..lol. But I wonder if hitting a 6 or 7 iron would get over the trees and then just play the hole in two halves. Perhaps a 7i, 8i or 6i, 9i.

And just wondering, is that lower tee box the actual intended designed tee box while the other (straight one) just added later to make it easier?

Since it's the first hole of the round, I would hit my 3 hybrid or 3 wood (depending on wind) approx. 230 yards to leave me 72 in. That's a good range for my 58* wedge and then try for the bird.

Considering it's a small table-top green I'd want my 60* wedge with a full swing to approach it. That would mean a nice 4 Hybo off the tee for me leaving me about 90 yards.

I would play a 180 - 200 yard shot off the tee leaving 100-120 in. First hole play it safe. Walk away with a double...

This hole smells of trouble for me. My instinct (aggressive side) is to take a 3 wood off the tee and get myself with 50-60 yards for an easy 60 degree wedge. But I also want the round off to a good start, so I am probably taking a 4 iron off the tee and leaving myself a sand wedge in.

I'd take Driver, Aim at the right side of the green and try and leave myself a 50 yard or so shot in. That's a 1/2 SW in and hopefully a shorter birdie putt.

Probably hitting my 3 wood or my 2 hybrid considering it's down hill until the green. I'd only pull my driver if I'm hitting into the wind. I'd rather be even or in front of the green chipping for eagle, and knowing it's probably going to be no less than a birdie.

6i off the tee.

PW from the fairway.

Make the putt for a birdie.

No brainer driver for me. I am probably more confident in my driver off the tee than any other club.

Driver to about 20 yards in, and then a nice pitch shot with my 55 degree wedge.

Callaway X Hot Pro 17 degree and hoping for a chip or a putt for my 2nd shot.

Callaway X Hot Pro 17 degree and hoping for a chip or a putt for my 2nd shot.
Big time distance for Big time Nate

I think I would take 3W off the tee leaving me with a half 56 into the green and hopefully a birdie.

I would take a 3W and aim down the left side of the fairway. That would hopefully leave me about 50 or so to the green for my second shot.

Back