Live Update Thread & Contest - UST February Shaft Spectacular

Love all the pictures and answers to questions in this thread. Really one of the cooler threads I've read in a while

Shane: How were you fit into your current setup and how do you think that will change after today. What will they improve?
Got my fitting at Golf Etc. I will be figuring out what will change for the long term over the next few weeks. For irons, there seems to be a chance I can get more distance out of the recoils based on the fitting.

Questions
Shane: What would you like to improve over your current iron shafts?
everything of course! :D

Shane. What is the biggest change to your numbers after your fitting?
a weaker lofted 7i went 8 yds farther on my first try and it felt buttery smooth off the face...equal loft should be 10 or so farther...hard to imagine myself hitting 170 yd 7i but it might just happen.

Questions
Shane: After the shock wears off, what surprised you the most about the manufacturing process?
even though I already had some idea about the hands-on nature of the process, it is still surprising to see it and to imagine the scale necessary to make a few million graphite shafts each year.

Shane: what surprised you most during the whole bag shaft fitting? Did the results you see meet what you expected to see?
Was most surprised by recoils and potential distance gains. Was hoping for a slight distance boost with XR16 but it's hard to beat the GBB right now. Hope to pit the two against each other over the next couple months.

Question for Shane: what do you look for in a Driver shaft? Are you paying attention to spin rates? launch angle? Weight? Etc? And what product do you feel will satisfy your needs?
Definitely paying attention to feel ( not too whippy) and stability/weight. When I start hitting, I do pay attention to spin rate and peak height and distance of course.

Shane: Which club in your bag do you expect to gain the biggest improvement after the fitting?
hoping for irons in general to improve... Just got fit a couple months ago though so it's hard to compare... Talking to my fitter now about shaft pull/install costs etc.

Same questions for both Nate and Shane:

When you found out you were getting fit for a complete set of shafts, which shafts did you expect/want to be fit into?
(After fitting) - How did the shaft you expected or wanted to be fit for hold up in the actual fitting? Where you surprised with the final outcomes and shafts you were fitted for?

My current shaft is a Fuji Speeder 665 Evolution II - stiff shaft.
Recoil 95 or 110 and Danny and I preferred 110. I wasn't really surprised.

Can you get more than just a logo on there? No designs of any sort down the shaft?
They are letting us go about 13" from the grip down the shaft and are pretty open to our ideas. I submitted a mock up earlier this week and am waiting to see if they can do it.

Shanewu : what is the most impressive thing about UST seeing as you are only 1/2 day in? Really pumped for you!!!
A comoany is nothing without its people and UST Mamiya seems to have great and impressive people so that's what is most impressive to me.

Shane: Which shaft technology that you learned about today and will be placed in you clubs do you think going to help your game the most? Driver? Irons? Wedges? Putter?
I think it is possible that playing graphite in my irons can help my joints and long term that can help my game and longevity in the sport. Danny made a good point about how cheap graphite is compared to health issues.

Shane: how does the shaft feel compared to the Mitsubishi?
I will have to come back to this question once I try the protos and the Mitsubishi in the same head. At the very least I will be trying both protos in my GBB on the range this weekend.

Go back through this thread and one would have to say that this had to be by far one of the best experiences outside of the Grandaddy. Both are totally different events and the crew at UST put on one hell of a show. Definitely changed my outlook on them as a shaft company and will be looking to get fit into their products in the future.

Go back through this thread and one would have to say that this had to be by far one of the best experiences outside of the Grandaddy. Both are totally different events and the crew at UST put on one hell of a show. Definitely changed my outlook on them as a shaft company and will be looking to get fit into their products in the future.
Elements line is legit. I saw both the helium and platinum being used to smash 280-300+ yd bombs all day. I hit at least one mini bomb that was only like 20ish yds behind Danny and Nate. :bomb:

Reposting this cuz I'm not sure if people noticed the wedge is a Taranto customized MD3. Lindsay designed it and he made another masterpiece. Hers says " flop it like it's hot "

0b0136db776f7d2b3e44d6f356455b3e.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was trying to figure out what I liked more, the UST zip up or the taranto wedge..... I think FLop it like it's hot sealed the deal on the wedge being the bet part of the picture

I agree, will definitely be looking at them when I go for a new fitting

Elements line is legit. I saw both the helium and platinum being used to smash 280-300+ yd bombs all day. I hit at least one mini bomb that was only like 20ish yds behind Danny and Nate. :bomb:

Elements line is very legit, maybe even 2 legit 2 quit! It's such a cool line too from the name to the hand rolled shafts themselves.

Headed to HQ in a bit as Danny is going to help me get the new shafts put in. He might even let me put a grip or 2 on myself! :D (Danny looked at my old grips and asked who put them on. I did. He wasn't impressed with my crooked grip alignment install technique.)

Might even throw on a #Scope while there to Q&A Danny if anyone has any questions they want to ask him!

Elements line is very legit, maybe even 2 legit 2 quit! It's such a cool line too from the name to the hand rolled shafts themselves.

Headed to HQ in a bit as Danny is going to help me get the new shafts put in. He might even let me put a grip or 2 on myself! :D (Danny looked at my old grips and asked who put them on. I did. He wasn't impressed with my crooked grip alignment install technique.)

Might even throw on a #Scope while there to Q&A Danny if anyone has any questions they want to ask him!
What is the best way to get fitted for UST shafts if they do not hav every shaft available to test at my local fitter... outside of actually flying there/winning a contest?

Have fun Nate. If nobody's looking, grab some of those Srixons off the wall, I'll send you some $$$ for shipping.

Monday two winners get announced for the THP Custom Shafts

Monday two winners get announced for the THP Custom Shafts
Oh JB you make Monday's enjoyable anymore!

Sent from my VS990 using Tapatalk

Very cool! Let me know if you take the extra long scenic route through Kansas and I'll go with you! :D

Shane - What is the biggest improvement to your game that you hope to achieve through the shaft fitting?
More consistency and maximizing my ability.

Shane - You were first to get fit. How was your swing during the fitting and do you think what you saw was a close resemblance of what you see on the course?
Probably pretty close. I now know from video that my attempt to slow down my back swing for "good tempo" has created the undesired effect of slowing it down too much IMO. I don't like what I see in the videos and this weekend will be focused more on smooth rather than slow. I know I can carry the GBB 230ish, but I wasn't carrying the XR16 that long on Track Man. I will work on it this weekend and think they will both be about the same for me.

SHANE: What's the difference between graphite and carbon fiber?
http://www.ehow.com/info_8150298_differences-between-graphite-carbon-fiber.html

Shane: What do you think your fitting will be recommending for shaft Weight & Flex?
Recoil 110 Stiff ... love it!

Shane: Did that full shaft fitting make you nervous, realizing that it was going to affect virtually every stick in your bag? (I'd have been pretty tense trying to swing fluidly during the fitting).
Not really nervous, but I was little concerned since I just went through a fitting a couple months ago. I was wondering if they were just going to start pulling all the heads off my clubs. LOL. At the time, I probably would have been like "wait, whu????" but now I wish that would have happened. :D

Shane: Conversely, which club in your bag were you fit for something the most different from what you're playing now?
Irons...from PX 5.5 steel to Recoil 110

Question for both: which shaft, or shafts, in your current set-up are you apprehensive about changing?
was only apprehensive at first because of how recently I was fit for my current clubs... that slowly melted away though.

Shane: what do you think UST's best technological innovation in regards to iron shafts?
Whatever innovation that leads to these two things:

• Efficient Energy Transfer (67% more efficient than steel)
  • Optimal spring effect in the walls of the shaft for efficient energy transfer to the ball for increased velocity and greater distance

Questions:

Shane: After the fitting, how much has changed in terms of the feel, consistency and distance on your shots?
Stay tuned on this on... still need to get the Recoils installed in my irons sometime soon. Driver is hard to say since it was a different head (XR16), but it felt great with both shafts I tried on the course.

Shane - In the design process were you nervous that your design wouldn't look as good as the awesome ones UST already puts out?
I love the creative process and usually can come up with good stuff if I have enough time. I was worried that I'd rush into something that wouldn't look that great or unique. However, the graphic designer and Lindsay have been really patient with me. Later I'll put up what I submitted and what I got back (just this morning) from them. I think it's going to be really really cool.

Top is what I created and submitted. Bottom is what the graphic designer sent back. I am beyond stoked to see how this turns out.

93a68a51b6900770fb1123ca972761ab.jpg

Top is what I created and submitted. Bottom is what the graphic designer sent back. I am beyond stoked to see how this turns out.

Lookin good!

That looks soooooooo good Shane!

That's bad ass!

Question for Shane: What were you expecting to learn about your current game that the new fitting would improve?
I really just wanted to learn or experience graphite shafts in my irons. Being able to demo the 95/110/125 Recoil in a demo CF16 7i head was great and told me I can definitely game them permanently.

Shane: Going into the event did you expect anything or just went in with a clear head and let the knowledge soak in?
I tried to just have a clear head and let it all soak in. I expected to be surprised because this is THP, and I definitely was!

Shane: Biggest shock of the day
Getting to design our own custom shaft.

Have fun guys. Same questions for both of you:

1. After the shaft knowledge, fittings and most importantly the round of golf, how do you feel about the shafts you were fit in?

2. What is something you learned that you think all of us should know?

Thanks guys.
1. I feel great about the shafts. Danny removes any doubts with the way he works and helps you through the process.

2. UST Mamiya makes great products. Do not sleep on UST Mamiya products and don't discount the potential for graphite shafts in your irons. Oh, and ovalization, look it up. :D

Man those pink recoils are sick! Looks like you guys are going to continue to have an amazing day. You guys rocking the UST hats?
I rocked my UST hat and polo.

The UST crew has some of the best custom polos, jackets, pullovers I've ever seen at a company. They know what's up.

Thanks for answering my questions Shane

Oh I got some good things coming in the Recoil thread.

Big shout out to Danny today. I asked for help to install my Recoils which I thought would take an hour or so. I was so so so wrong on that. Danny went all 9 yards to establishing a baseline with my current set up to measuring and weighing each club to actually adding weight to a few so it would be closer to what I previously had. Then hitting the Recoils against my baseline to see what's up. Above and beyond.

Thanks again Danny......I owe you a lot more lunches than just today's!

Back