Shame on all retailers open on thanksgiving

Seems silly the OP was rebuked so harshly for voicing his disdain.

It wasnt just a voiced opinion, he asked specifically what others thought.
Others simply dont agree with him clearly.

It is dictated by the shoppers. I can see the argument about it but let's not forget the jobs that NEVER have a day off. Police officers,firefighters, dispatchers,EMS etc.

Also many of these stores pay their employees extra to work on these days so that helps out through the holidays for many employees.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk
Most firefighters work 2 on 3 off so they have many days off, and the rest on your list have days off mandated by their union contracts. A;so most of these public servants will get double time to double time and a half for working a holiday.

It wasnt just a voiced opinion, he asked specifically what others thought.
Others simply dont agree with him clearly.
.Tone. seems to be a common trend.

Most firefighters work 2 on 3 off so they have many days off, and the rest on your list have days off mandated by their union contracts. A;so most of these public servants will get double time to double time and a half for working a holiday.
As will most retail workers.
Funny how people can twist things to be OK if they need them (police ,fire, movies etc) but the second it is something they don't need it is not OK out of principle

As will most retail workers.
Funny how people can twist things to be OK if they need them (police ,fire, movies etc) but the second it is something they don't need it is not OK out of principle

I'd be curious to hear the thoughts on whether gas stations should be open as well.

It really does. Doesn't it?

Its a two way street.
Indeed. Just seems traffic is heavier in one direction.

Enough already.
If people want to discuss the topic that was created do so.
If people want to make this about something bigger...dont.

Why? What if the staff working is of a different culture? What if the store is struggling to stay afloat?

It's just a day. One that not everyone shares a similar sentiment towards.

Seriously dude, I was so kidding.

Indeed. Just seems traffic is heavier in one direction.
When a question is asked about personal opinions, it doesn't have to be perceived as balanced or unbalanced, rather just a bunch of answers.

Perception is funny as well.

Seriously dude, I was so kidding.
Read that one wrong hahahaha! HOW DARE YOU!
When a question is asked about personal opinions, it doesn't have to be perceived as balanced or unbalanced, rather just a bunch of answers.

Sure is.

.I don't agree with black Thursday, but I don't make the decisions. I have seen numbers supporting all Thursday is doing is stealing from Friday and the numbers weren't very good last year compared to the prior year. Reason why some who were open on Thursday will not this year. Good for them .

Then I'll just go with I agree with the original thouht. I wish every store was closed today. Growing up mom and dad worked holidays, I spent the night prior at the grandparents and the parents picked me up the next day.

Never had a thanksgiving with both my mom and dad at the table.

When I was younger I had a lot of friends who worked in grocery stores. They'd actually fight to work on holidays.

Shame on all retailers open on thanksgiving

Thanksgiving should never be on Thursday .

Eating and drinking this much then having to work the next day is stupid .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wow ...

well some of the jobs listed above get paid way way more than retail jobs. And I asked one of the employees at Walmart the other day . They don't get holiday pay for working this, they are livid about working on thanksgiving.

Actually they do get holiday pay as long as they work there normal scheduled work days before and after Thanksgiving.

When I was younger I had a lot of friends who worked in grocery stores. They'd actually fight to work on holidays.
Depending on company, triple
Time.

I'm sorry but I'm not about to feel bad for people working at Walmart or gas stations or whatever. They do what they need to and quite frankly it isnt some slave labor or absolutely horrendous thing some make it out to be.

Depending on company, triple
Time.

And they'd get that also if they worked 3 consecutive Sundays.

Personally, I do all my shopping online except for groceries.

I run a tug boat for a living and we work every holiday. It's just another day. We have a turkey but, it's still just another day.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Well, I think it is a shame that we have come to this point. Days like Black friday, used to have a meaning. Now, companies are advertising specials all month and have taken away all the meaning to it. Companies just use it as a gimmick to get people to shop. What they don't realize is that if you have the right product at the right price, people will buy. If you have the right customer experience, people will come to buy and get the experience and will actually pay more for good service.

I prefer to mostly shop online. I hate going to the stores when it is crazy just to save a few bucks its not worth it, especially when I can find better deals for the same thing online. But I find stores a necessity, because sometimes you need to get your hand on a product to determine if you are going to buy one.

I think of electronics when I mostly say this as I will go to a brick and mortar store, then find what I want, shop it online and if it is a negligible amount i buy at the store for the instant gratification, but if the difference is greater, I order it online if the retailer won't price match.

I think that companies should really give their employees the time off on thanksgiving. They can hold the same sales on the real black friday, and still do the same business. one day or rather several hours is not going to make or break them, especially when they have dropped the prices down very low to the point where they really aren't making much profit, but hope to make it back in the volume.

Richard Branson Quote "Clients do not come first. Employees come first. If you take care of your employees, they will take care of the clients."

I understand companies want to make a profit, but greed takes over too much. The company I work for made over $300 million dollars profit, held a company meeting to boast to all the employees about how much they made and then what did they give all the employees who worked their asses off all year to make that money for the company? a $20.00 gift card to starbucks as a christmas bonus, and on top of it, eliminated positions and made the other employees take on the extra duties with no raise.

They could have easily given everyone in the company $1000.00 bonus at christmas time and still had the $300 million dollars profit.

I'm sorry but if I was the owner of the company I work for, I would rather show a little less profit and have people knocking down the door trying to work for the company, rather than have 60% or more turnover because people come and go so quickly in the company. I only stick around because I don't have a choice. I've spent too much time and effort to build a client base, and it is not an option for me to leave and start from zero again, so I put up with all the B.S. I have to.

Regardless of the days off I get I still miss the holiday with my family. I do not get paid extra for working a holiday either my shift day and the holiday happen to be the same day and guess what I work it knew it coming into the job and have accepted it doesn't make it suck any less!

Have you ever missed the last thanksgiving or Christmas of your dying grandparent or parent cause you had to be at work and calling off is highly frowned upon? When you know they won't make it to next year but you refuse to call in cause it will eff someone going home to be with their family?

Calling in on a holiday for police, fire, ems is the worst thing you can do to the brothers and sisters who you work with and trust to protect your butt.

I've been a volunteer, part-time and full-time now. I've left opening presents on Christmas morning because someone's house was on fire, their barn was on fire, left thanksgiving dinner to go cut someone out of their car and give them medical care, responded to full arrests at the family dinner. I never got paid extra for it as a volunteer, I volunteered for holidays as a part-timer cause I needed the extra money of holiday pay and it gave a full timer the chance to be with his kids and now as a full timer it's the same pay as the Thursday I worked two weeks ago.

I've got another 15yrs in this job if I'm lucky before I retire and I will not see one extra penny for working a holiday in that time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Grocery store by me is open. Which is nice. That way the fact I forgot corn syrup won't ruin Thanksgiving because my wife won't be able to make a walnut pie.

I'd like to know more about this walnut pie.

I went in to work this morning and will have to go back later today and there are plenty of others. If its a shame all the retail people have to go in, might as well stop the Thanksgiving football games. All the poor stadium workers and everyone else involved has to work. Plus hourly holiday pay is nice.

Back