JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
With all of the talk on here recently, we needed a thread on it. Post pictures of what you are eating, ask questions about it and discuss this wonderful delicacy with THPers.

These are from Kumo, a place we like in Sarasota.

home-sushi1.jpg

my-sushi-dinner.jpg

l.jpg

those pics just determined where I'm going for supper tonight lol. Looks delicious!

Oh I'm going to like this thread. I'm living in Richmond, VA now, but have lived in NY (Long Island) and Boston, not to mention been all over the country with work trying various sushi joints. Somehow, and I can't explain it, there's this extremely unassuming sushi place in the suburbs of Richmond called Samurai Sushi, that trumps them all. I will need to take pictures next time..which won't be too long. We usually dine there or take it out every week. It's like a crack addiction (though more expensive).

edit: JB, you and GG mostly go for the rolls?

Oh I'm going to like this thread. I'm living in Richmond, VA now, but have lived in NY (Long Island) and Boston, not to mention been all over the country with work trying various sushi joints. Somehow, and I can't explain it, there's this extremely unassuming sushi place in the suburbs of Richmond called Samurai Sushi, that trumps them all. I will need to take pictures next time..which won't be too long. We usually dine there or take it out every week. It's like a crack addiction (though more expensive).

edit: JB, you and GG mostly go for the rolls?

I only eat the rolls, JB will eat the raw fish on rice, yuck! I can't handle that texture.

Is tuna fish considered sushi?

If so, I'm in!

• Admin
Still relatively new to sushi, but our work cafeteria brings in an outside company to roll fresh sushi every thursday! Its phenomenal. I'm a big fan of anything spicy.

Tuna? Yes
That stuff in a can (albeit delicious)? No.

Damn, fair enough.

For a few minutes I could have said my wife made me sushi for lunch. Alas, it's just the canned goodness.

I only eat the rolls, JB will eat the raw fish on rice, yuck! I can't handle that texture.

you should try unagi. Probably the grossest looking sushi, but it tastes amazing, and it's warmed up.

Been addicted since the Outing, was convinced I hated it and JB made Erik and I try it and we were both shocked at how good it was.

These are from one night at the Omni, JB and I did some damage.

6azy5yha.jpg

4y4aduqa.jpg

Right now all I can hand is a bagel maki at my local spot. It's a philly roll with avocado instead of cucumber. Sometimes I can handle a spicy tuna roll but I'm still a sushi noob.

My parents eat all kinds if wicked looking sushi but I have pretty simple taste buds.

Meat and potatoes FTW.

Sushi is one of my favorite foods, but I can't eat it too much, and I usually prefer tuna or seared salmon if there's fish involved. Squid does not work for me after I got some bad squid in Tokyo years ago. (No bad squid in pics). :D

dzl5.jpg

d1ub.jpg

8yxt.jpg

jxfx.jpg

fkzq.jpg

1cla.jpg

like the night we went out and I said I was ok with sushi but not my favorite? Pretty sure I ate a ton of fish that night.

Damn, fair enough.

For a few minutes I could have said my wife made me sushi for lunch. Alas, it's just the canned goodness.

A little off topic, but... Do a search for Tunisian Tuna Salad recipe. (There's a place in Atlanta called Alon's that makes it, and you can find the recipe online.) You're welcome.

The only thing I really can't hang with when it comes to sushi is a ton of sauce (especially mayo-based sauces) on a sushi roll. I think it takes away from the sushi altogether.

I'm also a little leery of roe with sushi unless the place is top notch. I've had some bad experiences...

The Sushi Thread

The only thing I really can't hang with when it comes to sushi is a ton of sauce (especially mayo-based sauces) on a sushi roll. I think it takes away from the sushi altogether.

I'm also a little leery of roe with sushi unless the place is top notch. I've had some bad experiences...
Being a bit of a sushi noob, I ordered a roll recently that came out with roe piled all over it. Not exactly appetizing, but figured oh well and dug in. They weren't bad...kind of like eating Pop Rocks.

Yea, Roe is pretty much the only thing I don't like. I can deal with it sprinkled on the top of something (prefer not), but full roe sushi wrapped in seaweed makes me sick.

I need Kumo.

I LOVE me some sushi! I'll be sure to get some pics as I'm sure we'll get some again this weekend. It's a 2-3 time a month meal for us.

Sushi is one of my favorite foods, but I can't eat it too much, and I usually prefer tuna or seared salmon if there's fish involved. Squid does not work for me after I got some bad squid in Tokyo years ago. (No bad squid in pics). :D

Dear sweet baby Jesus, Castor, you are making me so hungry. Those pictures are amazing.

I love me all kinds of sushi, but my favorites are any spicy rolls with fruit in them - there was one I had in SLC called the Samurai roll that had mango in it along with spicy tuna and yellowfin! OMG!

Bring on the spicy tuna and some salmon! Lots of food going through my brain right now.

I like so many different kinds of sushi now. When I first started to get into sushi I could only do simple rolls like spicy tuna and shrimp tempura rolls. These are a great way to intro into it. I still like a lot of makimono rolls, but now I appreciate the simplicity of nigiri and sashimi too.

No doubt, this thread is definitely making me hungry. Tuna is definitely my favorite raw fish. Me and the wife were in Seattle last weekend, and ate at a place downtown called Umi Saki House. Incredible sushi. That was some of the best sashimi I've ever had.

Tapatalking on my iPad

I love sushi but I can't get any of these farmers / ranchers around me to eat it so I go by myself.
Believe it or not we got a real nice place here in the middle of the country. Kani. Its expensive but good. I'll get pics next time I go. And no I don't need the adapter for my sticks. Lol

tappin from my big as note2

I need to take the wife out for a date and some sushi this weekend, it just sounds too good not to!

Back