Wedges & Full Swings

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
How often do you use your wedges for full swings? I do not mean the PW or even the AW wedge in your set, but the others that you might have to compliment your irons and scoring.

How often do you use your wedges for full swings? I do not mean the PW or even the AW wedge in your set, but the others that you might have to compliment your irons and scoring.
I would say less than 10 percent of the time will I use a full swing. I've learned to really enjoy 3/4 swings and the control I've gained with them. 9 iron on down for matter, not just the wedges in my bag.

Since switching to the md2 I have really tried to leave myself between 100-125 yards, which will allow me a full swing into the green with a wedge.

Depends what type of obstacle or shot I may be playing. I may take a full swing with my 56* from about 90-100 yds out every now and then.

I tend to use my 60* to clear trees should I get in trouble. Have the ability to get it up and down in a hurry.

I use my sw(55) on full swings, but never use my lw(60) on full swings

I purchased 5 Scor wedges this spring with all intentions of using them from 150 yards and in; however, I just couldn't find any consistency on full shots with them gave up on the idea pretty quickly. I pretty much always pull the AW for full shots now, unless I need additional loft to get the ball up over something quickly. I'd say over the course of 18 holes, I pull a sand/lob wedge for a full shot maybe twice...?

I use them quite often for full swings. Actually, just about every opportunity I get for it, I will pull a full swing with my 50/54/58.

all the time. 54* is about my favorite full swing club. I find myself with that distance a lot during the round and I much prefer a full swing something to a half swing anything. I'm pretty good with it on any lie too. Random playing partners have made many lucky/unlikely/miracle shot comments whenever I convert a full 54* shot but I take a lot of pride in that shot and love to hit it. I'm also very comfortable with full 58* shots. I used to bump and run more but I really like the distance control with full wedges more.

I only use them when the full shot has a great lie, otherwise I like 3/4 shots with all wedges. So in answer the question on about 5% of the time.

I haven't exactly mastered the 75% swing, so in a pinch, I'll go full SW over a softer AW. Almost never hit LW full. Ever.

I try to use a full swing with a wedge whenever possible, and I would say that is a good 75% of the time. My 55* wedge is good for 105-110 yards on a full swing, so that is the distance I try to leave myself if I can't hit the green with another club.

I use them quite often for full swings. Actually, just about every opportunity I get for it, I will pull a full swing with my 50/54/58.

Same thing here. If I need to take something off of a shot with my wedges, I'll choke down much more often than trying to hit a 1/2 shot or 3/4 shot. The only less-than-full shot that I have confidence with is a shot with my 58, I can take my hands to what feels like hip-high and that is a 50 yard shot. FWIW, full swing distances are as follows: 50 - 105, 54 - 95, 58 - 80.

I almost never take a full swing with a wedge. Bad things tend to happen when I do!!

Every chance I get. They are scoring clubs for a reason and I would prefer to hit a full 55 to a half PW/AW.

I enjoy my 52* on full swings, but I don't usually swing my 56* and 60* full.

This, this, this.

Any loft, I full swing it. Just have always been comfortable doing so.

Every chance I get. If I get anywhere around 90 yards, the 51* gets a full swing. It's a club I've come to enjoy.

Practically never. I used to, but at some point later in life I lost all confidence in anything under an 8i for a full shot.

All the time. I like full yardages more than half since I have a tendency to pull it sometimes when I don't commit to it fully. Full swing, I can just let it rip

I agree with Jake, I almost never take a full swing with a 54 or 58...now my 50* is another story...but the higher lofted wedges are almost all 3/4 shots or less.

I take full swings with my 54 regularly as that's my 100 yard club; now my 58 rarely get's full swings unless it's out of a deep bunker.

I will when I happen to be at that yardage but I do not intentionally play to a full shot wedge yardage unless it happens to be a tight short par 4.

I tried playing to a number this year and it just didn't work for me, so now I just hit it as close as possible and use partial wedge shots.

I'm similar in that I dont like taking full swings with wedges. It's just not a comfortable feeling for me. It's also why I carry a 48* wedge in addition to a PW. Full swing feels much more natural with my iron set PW than a full 48* wedge, so I'll hit that with my normal 3/4 wedge swing. Fills the gaps nicely too.

Never if I can help it. I have no confidence after too many bad shots with full wedges.

On the rare chance I land at that distance I try to hit a full wedge. Normally I've hit 1/2 or 3/4 shots with a longer club cause my wedge game was bad this year.

Back